Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Scare away the Black dog with railway modelling!

My wife refers to my railway room as my "time portal" - says it all really. I am lucky though, she joins in and makes all the building kits and only rarely reminds me of all the other things I haven't done. When she does remind me I merely tell her that if I said I would do it, I will do it and there is no need to remind me every six months!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The best therapy comes from our four legged furry friends! 

Normally people think of dogs and cats, but I have found rabbits have very good bedside manner!

The bonded pair I have are very good at making you stop a busy life for needed chill time. ( Rabbits only stretch out flat when they feel safe and not threatened by any predators.)

ADA8D644-D090-4847-A51E-1887E718497E.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The squeeze has a guinea pig; brilliant little chap, intelligent, feistier than you might think, vociferous and funny, loves nuzzling me, and is a constant delight.  I keep freshwater Southeast Asian tropical fishes, which are lovely to watch but don’t have Mr Squeak’s character snd personality.  They’re not completely soul less, mind... 

No doubt about it, pets are highly therapeutic!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It would probably do me good to spend more time modelling (months if not years since I've done even a little) to take my mind off generally being angry and depressed in response to the world around me (not just what I see on the news, everyday world around me too - best not ask what because a good deal of those things a fair number of people here will probably be enthusiastic about). But it feels like trying to get by burying my head in the sand.

Could do with getting the cellar made useable first too.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

8 hours ago, Reorte said:

It would probably do me good to spend more time modelling (months if not years since I've done even a little) to take my mind off generally being angry and depressed in response to the world around me (not just what I see on the news, everyday world around me too - best not ask what because a good deal of those things a fair number of people here will probably be enthusiastic about). But it feels like trying to get by burying my head in the sand.

Could do with getting the cellar made useable first too.

Just pick up a mini modelling project that could be completed in 20 mins or so.  I have recently had a bit of a kick start to my modelling mojo due to my neighbour acquiring some ancient Triang trains that he wanted to get set up for his grandson.  They were somewhat battered and had not run for years - probably decades - but I volunteered to check them over and get them running well since I would like his grandsons first train set experience to be a positive one rather than disappointing.  There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the locos, and a good clean and service - not sure I had seen the felt pads on a Triang model so dry - turned them from reluctant runners into pretty much as good as new.

It was really satisfying seeing a loco go from needing a prod and making grumbling progress to running smoothly and quietly at all speeds, and probably for about 20 mins work per loco.  Once I had done the first loco and saw how nicely it ran, it gave me a feel good factor that encouraged me to get the next one going, and before long I had four Triang locos merrily whizzing around my layout just as the Lines brothers intended. Not bad for trains that are older than I am, and certainly put a smile on my face as I became a child again!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

In no way do I wish to criticise this thread, however there is another that has been running for many years and has an established reputation for excellence in support and discussion. Earlier in this thread it was suggested that the two could merge. Would it not be of benefit to many that the previous experiences of folk is available in one place? OK I accept that posters are entitled to do as they wish; this is just a suggestion...again.

Sincerely, 

Phil (one who received huge support back when I most needed it). 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Titan said:

Just pick up a mini modelling project that could be completed in 20 mins or so.  I have recently had a bit of a kick start to my modelling mojo due to my neighbour acquiring some ancient Triang trains that he wanted to get set up for his grandson.  They were somewhat battered and had not run for years - probably decades - but I volunteered to check them over and get them running well since I would like his grandsons first train set experience to be a positive one rather than disappointing.  There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the locos, and a good clean and service - not sure I had seen the felt pads on a Triang model so dry - turned them from reluctant runners into pretty much as good as new.

I've got a re-wheeled Black 5 sitting around that never worked properly - eventually found out I'd put one wheelset in backwards. Also burned out the DCC chip in it, had another one sitting around for ages waiting to go. Plenty of things like that I could be doing. And doing stuff with your hands is good for the mind (trying to make it less and less a part of everyday life is a huge mistake), even if it's something like just doing a jigsaw.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

I've got a re-wheeled Black 5 sitting around that never worked properly - eventually found out I'd put one wheelset in backwards. Also burned out the DCC chip in it, had another one sitting around for ages waiting to go. Plenty of things like that I could be doing. And doing stuff with your hands is good for the mind (trying to make it less and less a part of everyday life is a huge mistake), even if it's something like just doing a jigsaw.

Hi Reorte

I would say yes and no. Yes as someone who has more than his fair share of ups and downs  just doing something is an achievement. As Titan says a small project to start with.

No as someone who nursed people who had injured themselves when they went into the manshed to do something to take things off their mind. Please be careful using machine tools or sharp tools as loping a finger off surely takes what ever was bothering you off your mind but does seem to cause other problems.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Plenty of things like that I could be doing. And doing stuff with your hands is good for the mind (trying to make it less and less a part of everyday life is a huge mistake), even if it's something like just doing a jigsaw.

I find that doing something (anything) stops me from thinking about things (some real, some random) that can be very destructive within....

• Friendly/supportive 3

39 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No as someone who nursed people who had injured themselves when they went into the manshed to do something to take things off their mind. Please be careful using machine tools or sharp tools as loping a finger off surely takes what ever was bothering you off your mind but does seem to cause other problems.

That reminds me (with a shudder) of several forestry and farm workers I know that have fingers missing, after being careless with power tools and farm machinery, Doing something (to take your mind off something else) can be very dangerous - especially when you don't have full attention on the job in hand (sic). :scared:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sharp tools and power tools should certainly be treated with respect, and avoided when you are stressed and accidents most likely to happen.   But I recommend the idea of doing small, achievable tasks and of splitting major projects into ‘bite size’ sections, in order to extract the maximum level of achievement, satisfaction, and positivity from them; thus is Black Dog kept at bay!

And it’ll improve your standard of modellong! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I recommend the idea of doing small, achievable tasks and of splitting major projects into ‘bite size’ sections, in order to extract the maximum level of achievement, satisfaction, and positivity from them

I concur.

I've decided that M'Lady must be an expert in Occupational Therapy. At least, I assume so, from the long list she has, of jobs that she insists I need to do ... right now.

Tous les jours à tous points de vue je vais de mieux en mieux

"Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better".

© Émile Coué

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Émile_Coué

Topical relevance - his father was a railway worker! :senile:

I try to make/allow myself some time each day to do a bit of modelling, even if it’s only 20 minutes. (Armchair modelling is allowed!)Last night I continued a build of two Parkside hoppers while listening to my football team on the radio. Team lost to a late goal and firmly stuck in the relegation zone. Lights out and bed!

Felt ok this today, when I looked what I’d done last night, it was passable.

happy modelling 

Robert

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Aha! Black dog modelling!

Despite the rather dull weather, I have (finally) summoned up enough courage to face some of the obstacles within. The new medications are now having a positive effect, at least allowing me to open the modelling box. I even managed to glue a buffer back onto a 56xx tank, something I haven't done in months. 

Subject to the weather, the builders are due to start on the remaining wall of the shed. This 'should' start by next Wednesday, so fingers crossed!

Very many thanks, one & all.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello folks, update time.

The builders didn't arrive as advertised. But, in fairness to them, the weather has been Carp. Still, they have said they will start on Friday. On the upside, I have acquired the materials for a complete suspended floor, so the building work will go that much quicker. 

Today sees me (us) pricing out the electricals to take a main feed from the house to the shed area. As you can guess, the mood swing has definitely taken a turn for the better. 

Best wishes to all, 

Ian.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear it Ian!  I think you will have something to focus on when the shed is in progress, which will be able to be a diversion therapy from the Black Dog.  Keep the faith and take things one step at a time; all the best, mate!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, the builders have been in, and to say the least, I'm very, very pleased with the result. The concrete has been poured, and the blockwork has finished, to a better standard than I might have achieved. To say I'm feeling 'up' is a bl**dy good feeling, and the weather has helped no end. The work for next week is to construct a suspended floor, which in turn is a footprint for the shed, some 20'x12'. 

I know it's not railway modelling per se, but the civil engineering will get me there. 

My phone camera skills are Carp, but hopefully you can see where I'm headed. 

Thank you one & all for your support; it was just what I needed.

Cheers,

Ian.

IMAG1267.jpg

IMAG1276.jpg

IMAG1275.jpg

IMAG1269.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

From my experience staying positive is the key. If you take two steps forward but then have to take a step back, then you are still one step closer than you were when you started.

Looking back I suffered from mental health issues since childhood. Coming from a background of man up and keep going it was brushed under the carpet. I used modelling as self medication, along with alcohol, without realising. It wasn't until I had a complete breakdown triggered by work place stress. That I found out the reason for most of my issues were autism spectrum disorder related. Since getting the diagnosis it's allowed me to discover the real me. 

On the modelling front I'm building a micro layout in o gauge for my 4 year old (soon to be 5) boy. He has got the rail bug to. I'm convinced that the sence of achieving drives you forward. You get more positive feelings the more you achieve, so lots of small things the more times you can pat yourself on the back. 

I managed to get off the pills with the aid of the modelling and some counciling.

Keep going and pat yourself on the back every time you achieve something however small.

Marc

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Please excuse my very substandard photos from the previous post, but! I forgot to add a very important factor. I had the stack of blocks awaiting this project, and it effectively obscured a view from the kitchen window. Now, with the blocks mostly used up, Mrs Smith has a clear view, up the garden. The upside is that she is now very happy to see progress, and it's lightened the mood somewhat. Double bonus? You betcha!

There is a very slight downside to this is, and now I'm getting instructions to 'get on with it'. But hey, I can live with that....

Have a great weekend, folks.

Ian.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1