Planning the next stage- scenery!

muddy water

I have made an N gauge layout 6’x18”. The track is laid and has been tested. It is a sector plate to small station with parcels and also a yard with kick back sidings. It was borrowed from Andy Peters Argyll street layout before he modified the plan to its current state.

What I need is inspiration for the scenic side of things.

The first picture shows the sector plate (now complete) and the three sidings in front.

The second one, the main area with the station at the back and the yard in front of it.

I thought to raise slightly the yellow area, drop the red area down.

The blue line is a canal with a lock to drop it down to go under the station approach line at the back.

The black marks for a mould or view blocker to disguise the entrance to the fiddle yard. If I can avoid the classic bridge, that would be great! Possibly in front of the sector plate a industrial building for the sidings to serve. 

Any ideas? 

F3F667E3-3A1C-430D-A7FB-5753927CE370.jpeg

86622237-6004-4250-9C71-700D65CC1DFE.jpeg

44ACCCBF-4756-41E1-8519-4A6689985118.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I can't see how the sector plate can swivel.  Looks like it needs a complete re think before any scenery is added.

I do see an issue with this as well, so long as you are happy that tracks 5 and 6 can only link to track C you are OK but if you wanted them to link to A or B - there is a problem.

SECTOR Q.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have tested this and in fact, track 1 to 6 can feed exit C. 

You can see in the photo below there is a gap at the bottom right hand side of the fiddle yard box, allowing the ‘tail’ to swing round.

It is the first sector plate I have made and is a bit rough about the edges, but does function. A wax candle rubbed on the frame and bottom of the sector plate help smooth transition.

Thanks for you interest. Any ideas on progressing the scenery?

21EBE84F-2C57-4C53-9B31-CDA7B5CF6C9B.jpeg

Edited by muddy water

On 26/01/2020 at 13:57, JimFin said:

I do see an issue with this as well, so long as you are happy that tracks 5 and 6 can only link to track C you are OK but if you wanted them to link to A or B - there is a problem.

SECTOR Q.jpg

4,5,6 supply passenger and parcel trains to a two road platform.

1,2,3,4 supply goods trains for the yard A, B.

A to 1,2,3 also provide a run round loop returning on B.

Morley Road is the layout thread, but I posted on here as people do not always respond to layout threads.

• RMweb Premium

Half relief warehouses in front of the sector plate and full depth at the end of the sector plate.

Not a "classic" bridge, but going over the tracks from the industrial building - 

image.png.8cec1ce040fcf4c537e077bab091d1e4.png

Edited by JimFin
  • Like 1