Why So Few BR 06 locomotives ?

maico

1 hour ago, maico said:

Does anyone know who makes the flak car being pulled by this BR06?

REI make that sort of thing but I can't see it listed  https://www.reynaulds.com/rei-models.aspx

Lilliput did a flak car in HO to go with the Reichsmarschalls train coaches that they produced several years back.  Got some of the coaches, which were sold off fairly cheaply by Hattons at the time, but didn't manage to find one of the flak cars anywhere - certainly none appeared to make it to Hattons as part of the, presumably, "remaindered", stock of DR 1933-45 items.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Lilliput did a flak car in HO to go with the Reichsmarschalls train coaches that they produced several years back.  Got some of the coaches, which were sold off fairly cheaply by Hattons at the time, but didn't manage to find one of the flak cars anywhere - certainly none appeared to make it to Hattons as part of the, presumably, "remaindered", stock of DR 1933-45 items.

Bingo! Lilliput L336610

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Lilliput+L336610&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

German ebay appears the best source around 149 euros used.

Camo one is a bit expensive though..

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Liliput-L336615-Spur-H0-Flakwagen-Schutzwagen-Dienst4i-DRG-Ep-II/193021418927?hash=item2cf0f91daf:g:Rt4AAOSwHShdQBW9

lilliputL336615.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by maico

Here's a rarer version of the Swiss crocodile made by Roco. In the 1920s the Austrians bought a number of new examples for heavy freight use on steep inclines. In the War they were painted dark gray and given the DRG designation E89. I think this one is still in running order in preservation, the last being retired from service in 1979.

The second photo is the N-guage version made by Jaegerndorfer model JC62070

These aren't mine, I have the Trix Swiss ho version in green.

rococroc.jpg

Jaegerndorfer_JC62070-7fd9759a.jpg

s-l1600rooco.jpg

Edited by maico

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the name of science I weighed the Brawa BR06 and it's a hefty 826 grams. There can't be to many British outline OO locos coming in more?

That's some 50% more than my favourite models the Trix P10 and Croc which like the Brawa are of metal construction. The Trix have better build quality IMHO

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I came across these photos of a rare gauge 1 model of a defrocked BR06 by Magnus Bahn. Reducing weight is probably what should of been done from the start with the prototype.

The Ho is an old Trix Express Frankenmodel...

06.002~DRG-Magnus2~Lv.jpg

06.002~DB-Magnus2-Frt_00001.jpg

4626622.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well,

With regard to the Reichsbahn class 06, and in particular its impressive appearance, it needs to be stated that the two engines did not perform well. That had become clear during the first years of regular service - long distance express trains between Frankfurt-on-Main and Berlin. They were too heavy - several derailments proved that - and the boilers with very long tubes did not prove to be reliable. Furthermore, there was no need of such heavy engines. These experiences had been made prior to the war in 1937-39 under peacetime conditions. That is why the Reichsbahn did not place any further orders of class 06 but ordered 260 of each streamlined classes 01.10 and 03.10 (both Pacifics with three cylinders) instead. Due to wartlme conditions, only 55 respectively 60 have been delivered by 1940.

Cheers,

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

On 31/01/2020 at 06:00, Vinedusk said:

Upon belatedly viewing the video and re-reading some posts:

Artitec is your friend for all the WWII vehicle models, including tanks; and the heavy flatbed wagons. They do and astounding array of landscaping models.

Marklin did several sets that have P109 planes as the cargo

Liliput did 2 or 3 versions of U-Boats, I think one even in Prussian markings.

The coach set appears to be from Liliput, also.

Artitec is a Dutch company tho. The question was were there many/any German manufacturers of model WW2 military equipment

On 11/07/2020 at 04:32, Talltim said:

Artitec is a Dutch company tho. The question was were there many/any German manufacturers of model WW2 military equipment

Ok.

If there are any German manufacturers, they haven't left the same impression that Artitec has.

• 2 months later...

Brawa have a new version of the BR06 this year. Available in wartime anthracite grey or black. I'm not sure how, or if, it differs from the older models. The body and tender are still die-cast zinc alloy which is not the case for the new 2021 BR01

https://www.brawa.de/en/products/h0/locomotives/steam-locomotives/40228-steam-locomotive-br-06-drg/

csm_40224_31ea881935.pngcsm_40228_8146cfc515.png.484461a6c4a1bfbe2fc6cf7c6a8b0f34.png

Edited by maico

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2020 at 23:52, maico said:

Brawa have a new version of the BR06 this year. Available in wartime anthracite grey or black. I'm not sure how, or if, it differs from the older models. The body and tender are still die-cast zinc alloy which is not the case for the new 2021 BR01

Hi Maico,

The new edition will have PluX 22 plug-ins instead of MTC. Probably, brawa updates the PCB's and some additional lighting functions (e.g. lighting of the driving gear like the sound versions of the forthcoming 01). In addition to the unlined 06, a "regular" lined 06 is announced. I have the impression that there still is a market for the 06. In particular in "may be" or "what if" liveries like green, red or blue... 

Best,

Mark

• 2 months later...
On 20/11/2020 at 21:17, Guardian said:

I have the impression that there still is a market for the 06. In particular in "may be" or "what if" liveries like green, red or blue... 

Best,

Mark

Used examples in photographic grey seems to fetch strong money on eBay perhaps because of rarity...

- Foto Frits Osterthun collection -

B40208-Lv.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 08/02/2020 at 13:12, Nearholmer said:

It was the trademark of ASEA, the Swedish equivalent of GEC too, until about 1934.

The traction substations on the SR electrification of the 1930s had ASEA remote control systems, and those on the Brighton Line had equipment plastered with swastikas, which felt a tad eerie.

Upminster Bridge station on the District line today

11315050_S7oN6e88oDlo4sUIZEpdjZ-AqOgm9xSomgdxSD4Xtrk.jpg

Swastika Upminster Bridge.jpg

• 5 weeks later...