Freelance 0-4-0 tender engine - next installment - inside cylinder

TangoOscarMike

So, after this comes the next project - a similar locomotive body for the inside-cylinder version of Hornby's low-cost 0-4-0 chassis.

The outside cylinders are gone, and the ends of the inside-cylinders are visible below the smokebox door. And I've put steps at the level of the smokebox, to cover the place where the cylinders aren't.

For a bit more variation, and with some help from LNWR18901910, I've make further alterations as follows:

• Belpair-ish firebox.
  • Shorter funnel, flatter dome.
  • Different safety valve.
  • Changed cab sides and windows.
  • Modified splasher.

The tender is basically identical, but when I order my test print of the locomotive I will also test a coal-less version of the tender. I might experiment with cavities for metal bearings.

I flatter myself that I've captured something of the feel of O-gauge clockwork trains. And, as usual, I would be most grateful for comments and suggestions before I proceed with the print.

inside_cylinder_tender_engine_render00.png.f97e3af2c7ccbfd3f12056ecb36e104c.png

Thanks

Tom

Edited by TangoOscarMike
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

So, after this comes the next project - a similar locomotive body for the inside-cylinder version of Hornby's low-cost 0-4-0 chassis.

The outside cylinders are gone, and the ends of the inside-cylinders are visible below the smokebox door. And I've put steps at the level of the smokebox, to cover the place where the cylinders aren't.

For a bit more variation, and with some help from LNWR18901910, I've make further alterations as follows:

• Belpair-ish firebox.
  • Shorter funnel, flatter dome.
  • Different safety valve.
  • Changed cab sides and windows.
  • Modified splasher.

The tender is basically identical, but when I order my test print of the locomotive I will also test a coal-less version of the tender. I might experiment with cavities for metal bearings.

I flatter myself that I've captured something of the feel of O-gauge clockwork trains. And, as usual, I would be most grateful for comments and suggestions before I proceed with the print.

inside_cylinder_tender_engine_render00.png.f97e3af2c7ccbfd3f12056ecb36e104c.png

Thanks

Tom

I absolutely love this design and it's the best of it best I've seen from you! Congratulations! You should definitely stick with it.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Right, thank you folks. I'm proceding with a test print of this locomotive, plus a tender with no coal and sockets for bearings. I think I'll paint it red.

I'll post pictures in due course.

Tom

Marvellous! I'll buy one when it's ready!