The Fry model railway collection ....

Neil

12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Excellent news.

I remember seeing it in 1993 in Malahide Castle, but there is no mention in that piece about the original layout being present, just the stock, did it not survive dismantling and storage?

Mike.

Hi Mike, regarding the old layout see JHB's posts in the "other place".

Hi Neil, thank you for posting that RTE news item, very interesting.

Steve 

• RMweb Gold

49 minutes ago, Lambeg Man said:

Hi Mike, regarding the old layout see JHB's posts in the "other place".

Hi Neil, thank you for posting that RTE news item, very interesting.

Steve 

44 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

There are others among us who would be interested to know too.

Kevin

Well, I'm sorry, but he's lost me, you too Kevin?

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the link, very informative, congratulations to all involved.

Makes it all the more impressive to read a bit of the background to the new museum, and to realise I was "conned" into thinking I had seen the Fry Model Railway Exhibition all those years ago!

Well, there's only one thing for it, "Dear Mr Ryanair, how much is a return flight Alicante to Dublin?!!.

It will be another great hardship suffering a weekend in your fine city, and probably reel in a site meeting with Accurascale and the O'Connel Street builders!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry, folks, I've been in the "greener" one for a while....

I was involved with the Malahide project, as was "Baseboard Dave" Lindfield (not "Linfield" as RTE had it!).

It opened last week as I'm sure you know. 

What is on display is all of Fry's IRISH models plus half a dozen of his continental ones - these will be rotated from time to time but the Irish stuff is permanent. There is a reasonable amount of British Fry-built stuff too, mostly LNWR in origin but a few other very nice pieces too. I am currently discussing with the museum how or where we might display a few of these - after all, Fry described his layout as an "international" one - and he has a nice Union Pacific railcar train too.

What is NOT on display, apart from Fry's NON-Irish stuff, is a large quantity of models built by the late Tommy Tighe (of Inchicore), Harry Connaughton and Des McGlynn. These were built for the Malahide Castle layout, which contrary to what many believe, was NOT "the Fry collection". The castle simply allowed people to believe that it was actual Fry models running there, but this was never the case. In his will, Cyril Fry stipulated that none of his models must ever run again, but are to be kept as exhibits for educational purposes - so they never did run, and nor will they. In any event, many of the mechanisms in them are now too old and delicate, and there's no room for a huge "0" gauge layout anyway.

As for the layout and scenery, I have still to sort this out and catalogue it. This will be done as time permits over the next few months, hopefully mostly in late February - but there's no hurry, as it won't be shown. This is because the new place is to be strictly about Fry and his models.

Fingal Council own the collection, with Shannon Heritage hired to run the place. I continue to liaise with them regarding a few "snagging" matters, which will be corrected in the short term. There are a few errors in the maps and the labels for the models = indeed, this day i was on the phone to the label manufacturer to see when they'll have the ones I want corrected.

So that's the way things stand right now! Questions welcome.....!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4