March 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Hello modellers, non-modellers, potential modellers and armchair dreamers.

Welcome to the March 2020 issue of BRM, on-sale from January 24 as a digital edition from pocketmags.com/BRM

These winter evenings are still long and spring seems an eternity away - so here's a little reading and video watching for you:

In this episode of BRM TV:

BRM_DVD_Jacket_March.jpg.7f874c32994bcbbd92988adf50a97016.jpg

• Hills of the North (OO) - Shap summit modelled in OO
  • Ballasting track - a recap on the essentials
  • Bachmann's V2 - exclusive first test

It's Hornby's centenary - I hope readers approve of our bold cover choice! Inside, we host features reflecting on the past, present and future of this long-standing model manufacturer.

p001_BRMMar20.jpg.49a8bf40c781b3bc897d3f7037070908.jpg

LAYOUTS

• Hills of the North (OO). The sight and sounds of steam locomotives climbing this most-arduous of West Coast Main Line peaks have been forever immortalised by its builder.

P31.jpg.bf0cf8515c435ead16d5c90f9502fc31.jpg

• Blueball Summit (N). Struggling to build his vision in a defined space, Andrew Bartlett changed scale to discover a horizon of new opportunities.

Feature_2.jpg.62a8773c33d5643f394dd89f6d7a8b4a.jpg

• High Trees Junction (OO). Deploying ingenious solutions, Mike Lynch’s model railway has been an experiment in forced perspective and reduced modelling costs.

4.jpg.a03d2e81f0ee7f10615973b4c2167915.jpg

• Campbell's Quarry (16mm). This animated quarry layout featured in the March 2019 issue of BRM. We revisit the scene for an update on its new extension.

CQ6_clean.jpg.48e509e8ce3d92941ced6de6e5c244c7.jpg

PRACTICAL

• How to create lineside variety. There’s more to the other side of the fence than green grass, as Michael Russell explains with the creation of a series of scenic additions ideal for your next layout.

two.jpg.f9540413c549d2733190cd45b2dd2b67.jpg

• The Salt Union at Runcorn. Ahead of BRM’s new project layout build, Stephen Rabone, Editor of Traction Magazine, highlights the rail-served salt industry of Runcorn and its fascinating RailFreight operations in the last-century.

517583684_Salt02a.jpg.d4a191bcc0e9ebaf251a934321756916.jpg

• Enhance Hornby's Family Fun Project. We gave Phil Parker a Hornby Family Fun Project to build, but asked him to develop the scenery a step further from the instructions.

Finished_Layout_1_(1).jpg.99a9349bdb37f189d290a148bcf52056.jpg

NEWS, REVIEWS AND FEATURES

• Hornby 2020 announcements. BRM was invited to attend a presentation by Hornby of its 2020 new model range held at
     its Margate headquarters.
  • BRM meets... Hornby. As Hornby kicks off its centenary celebrations, we catch up with Marketing and Development Director, Simon Kohler, to learn more about what’s in store for the iconic manufacturer.
  • Hornby landmark locomotives. Our beloved manufacturer of model railways has reached its centenary. Andy York reflects on landmark creations from its history.
  • Hornby's most daring moments. Hornby has never been afraid to create innovative and unusual products. Phil Parker uncovers a few from his model cupboard...
  • First Look: Bachmann V2

1445854379_newBachmannV201.jpg.1cbb2a8aee1322a2883dfc7ba84ef81b.jpg

• Review Hattons Class 66

1464918834_HattonsClass66RailfreightH4-66-01701.jpg.0a7567db0871c78c031e090d9db444e1.jpg

• Review: Hornby LMS 20T brake vans

1580505013_Hornbyex-LMS20TbrakevanR690902.jpg.cbda28ce07758d4c6e0c9f69174d9081.jpg

• Review: Hornby LSWR 20T/24T brake vans

861142365_Hornbyex-LSWR20TbrakevanSRR691302.jpg.ca0a6151393d94e1ad54318577cb1dba.jpg

Download your copy from January 24 at www.pocketmags.com/BRM or pick up a copy in stores from January 30.

DSCF0146.jpg

limited edition models.jpg

Live Steam Rocket Box.jpg

P28.jpg

Triang_TT_Prairie.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I had almost convinced my wife that railway modelling is a very refined hobby for very serious adults. Then she looked over my shoulder while the Turbo car was on the screen. So I hurriedly scrolled down. Up came the giraffe car :D

PS: Nice scarecrow.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

I know the notification is about the Digital edition but can someone tell me when the printed edition will be available and will it have the extra DVD featuring Hornby?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Legend said:

I know the notification is about the Digital edition but can someone tell me when the printed edition will be available and will it have the extra DVD featuring Hornby?

Thanks in advance

Printed copies are on-sale from Jan 30. The covermounted DVD is included.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Howard Smith said:

Printed copies are on-sale from Jan 30. The covermounted DVD is included.

Thanks Howard . I'll keep an eye out for it .  Looking forward to the Shap layout . Going over Shap in the days of my youth was always a special event , now we don't even notice!  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Of course I'm biased but I think it's a particularly good-looking edition. Graham's Shap content is very good, Blueball is top-notch N and there's an awful lot of digi-extras in the Pocketmags edition.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Howard Smith said:

First post ;)

Sorry. I must be missing something.  I see the BRM TV bit at the top and then what's presumably the March magazine cover (in red?) but nothing that specifically details the dvd content . Are you saying the DVD content is the same as the BRM tv item?  

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, jacko said:

Sorry. I must be missing something.  I see the BRM TV bit at the top and then what's presumably the March magazine cover (in red?) but nothing that specifically details the dvd content . Are you saying the DVD content is the same as the BRM tv item?  

Yes, the DVD is called BRM TV. We called it this because digital edition viewers stream content, hence it becomes a one name fits all.

HTH

• RMweb Gold

Only had a chance for a quick flick through so far but this has all the makings of a classic edition. Great cover. Presentation seems clearer than it has been and I like the focus on the big top quality mainline layouts (but maybe thats just my preference). 

Also nice to see the Exactly version has appeared at the same time as the Pocket Mags

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Even though I don't buy Hornby locos and items anymore (I've been a N Gauge modeller for the past 10 years) I will be buying a copy as it has some rather good content - I am looking forward to reading about the N Gauge Blueball Summit layout. Hope you include a trackplan with the article this time!

Sam

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My subscription copy arrived through the letter box this morning. Plenty of very interesting reading that will keep me entertained for the rest of the day and probably much of the rest of the week. Many thanks to all those involved in producing such a good issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

As others have said above, there seems to be a really good feel to this month's BRM - I think the combination of articles, layouts and reviews has come together really well, so a big thank you to the team: well done all!  Hopefully the striking cover (also appropriate for this edition) will catch the attention of some potential new readers too. 

I don't normally watch the DVD before reading the mag but, encouraged by the comments above, I made time for this when my print copy came yesterday and also enjoyed the blend of features in this episode of BRM TV - Phil's ballasting demonstration may seem quite straightforward, but could be really helpful for someone who's not tried it before, or someone needing to practice their drumming technique.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:45, Keith Addenbrooke said:

As others have said above, there seems to be a really good feel to this month's BRM - I think the combination of articles, layouts and reviews has come together really well, so a big thank you to the team: well done all!

I should have added: for those who've not yet seen this edition, but who (like me) find trackplans really helpful in appreciating a layout: pages 40 and 41 of the print edition.

Enough said!

• Thanks 1

Can I just say that as a team it is so appreciated that we hear at times positive feedback from you all. We are working really hard on producing your magazine and bringing everything to it that you all like! Well done team for a really good issue!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 22/01/2020 at 06:38, Howard Smith said:

The Salt Union at Runcorn. Ahead of BRM’s new project layout build, Stephen Rabone, Editor of Traction Magazine, highlights the rail-served salt industry of Runcorn and its fascinating RailFreight operations in the last-century.

I thought I spotted a typo there .  "Last-century"?  The picture can't be of the 1800s, there are cars there.  Oh wait . . . . gosh darn it Howard, you're making me feel old!

Seriously, looks like a great issue indeed.  Living over here, perhaps I am not as familiar with "Hornby" as y'all are so I do look forward to learning more about the iconic brand.

Dave

Edited by davefromacrossthepond
grammatical error
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hills of the North was a brilliant piece.  It was a delight to watch the video of the layout.  The way the banking engine worked in tandem with the train and then slowly tailed off at the top was like watching a magic trick.  Really slick piece of control.  Fab issue yet again and happy birthday Hornby.  Looks like having Simon back in the driving seat will ensure Hornby will continue going from strength to strength for a good few years to come.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't normally buy BRM but the March edition was a particularly good one with the emphasis on Hornby. It is the first review of the LSWR brake vans and Tony Wright very tactfully raised the issue of the possible incorrect colour for the LSWR and SR vans. I wonder if Hornby are aware of the problem now and whether Hornby will take steps to correct the possible error in the next batch.  I think Hornby has also made an error in R6944 the LSWR engineer's department wagon which should be painted red oxide.

On 30 January W H Smith in Swanage only had one copy left. I asked if a lot of people had bought the January BRM but they said that they had only ordered one copy.