March 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• RMweb Premium

Yes bought the printed mag out of Tesco's on Friday .  A really good magazine I though . A great cover and very interesting read on Hornby even though I knew about the new releases from here. Interesting snippet from the 91 paragraph , though , that Hornby are banking on further uses of the 91, particularly if used on freight which could explain a possible coupling in the front of the loco in pics I've seen. Interesting interview with SK too , particularly about Pop Up shops.  I liked the daring models article as well with 3DS that I had forgotten about . I don't think I've ever seen a layout of this.   But really the star of the show was Hills of the North . I had just assumed with banking this would be DCC , so quite a surprise that it isn't . Liked the article about Shap and the article on the layout itself which was laid out informatively with separate bits on Banking and Rolling Stock . I've yet to read the remainder of the magazine , and so theres plenty more to read .    Added to that there is the DVD which brings out Shap brilliantly .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 24/01/2020 at 09:59, AY Mod said:

..... Blueball is top-notch N .....

I have to agree, I had to check a couple of times it wasn't 00.
I have only the mag, from Sainsburys, not the DVD.

18 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

That's odd - the DVD should be on all covers again. Were all the copies missing it?

Uhmn, I will pop in tomorrow (today, Thurs)  and check.
'spect somebody's had the DVD and left the mag.....

• Agree 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Penlan said:

That's the trouble with sticking them to the front, people can remove them on the stand. Perhaps we should put them in plastic bags... ;)

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

That's the trouble with sticking them to the front

Perhaps we should put them in plastic bags... ;)

Hmmm ... "I predict a riot" ... presumably at a WHS "reading room", somewhere in Leeds ... .

(No the last comment is NOT a "pop" at Leodensians - or anyone else, from either side of the Pennines.)

Well I guess it's either that or most of us getting fed up of wading through loads of stroppy thread posts about "mags in bags".

To be honest, this is one of those areas where I'm not sure it's possible to win.

I could run through a list of alternative ways of dealing with this issue - none of which would be perfect. In fact, I could also go into some detail why none of them would be perfect.

Well, I could - but I won't - because I suspect that some people might read into my comments a non existent, personal, "dig for victory" campaign.

I'm under a lot of stress at the moment - and I really don't want that stuff as well. Being on sites like this is one of the few things that keep me (almost) sane right now - so I'd actually quite like to stay put.

Huw.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently, Google and Wikipedia do have their uses.

By the way, I hope nobody minded the cryptic reference to the "Kaiser Chiefs". I must admit, though, that I personally don't tend to listen to them very much. (I've always preferred classical music - personal taste ... or lack of ... .)

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

On 06/02/2020 at 01:54, Penlan said:

T'was Friday I popped in..
5 mags on the stand, 2 without DVD's.... 
Somebody's lifting them I'm sure.
But, I now have the DVD, from a friend's copy of the mag.
Many thanks Phil for taking the time to comment on my post.

• Like 2

Collected my saved copy from my local independent newsagent.  I really enjoyed the read and liked the DVD content, particularly Phil's ballasting techniques.  Never thought of tapping the track to settle the granules. Great idea!

I liked the Shap layout (minor criticism -  apart from the trackwork which I thought the foam underlay let it down - too uniform and clean). Having said that I could never build a layout as good as that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I finally managed to get a copy having trawled around lots of newsagents/supermarkets. However it was the last copy in that shop and there was no DVD included with it.

Would it be possible for one to be sent to me. Thanks in anticipation.

G

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, grahame said:

Would it be possible for one to be sent to me.

If you drop Howard an email (address in the mag) he should be able to get you sorted.

• Thanks 1

• Howard Smith unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Only just had a chance to watch the DVD that came with this issue. The one on this occasion was excellent (not that any of the others are in any way bad :)); Hills of the North was stunning, the feature of the V2 at Little Bytham was very good (especially the camera shots, which I thought seemed to mimic the aerial footage taken of Flying Scotsman when storming down the ECML in the 1930s) and the layout for Little Miracles was a very kind gesture. :)

Edited by SVRlad
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2