D869

D869's Workbench Thread

On 21/05/2020 at 15:07, 2mm Andy said:

I thought it might have been. I remember watching the layout at the Nottingham show a few years ago and noticing the valve gear bobbing up and down as the loco passed me.

A chap from Bath by the name of Brian Clarke produced a kit many years ago for a 4mm narrow gauge 'de Winton' vertical boiler loco (one of these) with a split frame chassis that had eccentrics on the acetal plastic axle muff which drove the connecting rods.

Andy

Inside valve gear isn’t that big a deal.  It just needs some eccentrics on the muff. The actual straps can be made to clip on. A crank axle needs to be silver soldered for strength. I don’t see any point in doing it unless it is visible or drives the valves on the outside, but a dummy representation is important for all inside cylindered locos. 

The loco I am currently working on will have working Joy valve gear, but it is 4mm scale, 8mm gauge. 

Inspired by the recent article in the 2mm mag, I have made it battery powered and my next two locos in 2mm will probably be as well.  Apologies for the thread drift. Beautiful work btw. 

Tim

8 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The loco I am currently working on will have working Joy valve gear, but it is 4mm scale, 8mm gauge. 

Inspired by the recent article in the 2mm mag, I have made it battery powered and my next two locos in 2mm will probably be as well.  Apologies for the thread drift. Beautiful work btw.

Thanks Tim and thanks for the postings about your loco builds which have definitely helped me with the O2.

I do like a bit of L&B and am particularly glad that a short stretch has reopened and we can ride in restored coaches and admire the Exmoor scenery. I like my own narrow gauge models in 16mm scale with actual steam though :)

5 hours ago, D869 said:

Thanks Tim and thanks for the postings about your loco builds which have definitely helped me with the O2.

I do like a bit of L&B and am particularly glad that a short stretch has reopened and we can ride in restored coaches and admire the Exmoor scenery. I like my own narrow gauge models in 16mm scale with actual steam though :)

The problem with the L&B is that with Peco and Heljan weighing in, every man and his dog is modelling it now.

Chris

40 minutes ago, Chris Higgs said:

The problem with the L&B is that with Peco and Heljan weighing in, every man and his dog is modelling it now.

Chris

Not to finescale standards on 8mm gauge track they're not!

jerry

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, queensquare said:

jerry

Hasn't Alex Duckworth done something similar recently?

J.

3 minutes ago, -missy- said:

Hasn't Alex Duckworth done something similar recently?

J.

That was a WW1 military railway, but using 8mm gauge and 2FS standards, yes;

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

That was a WW1 military railway, but using 8mm gauge and 2FS standards, yes;

Andy

Thanks for the link Andy, I didn't know about those, superb stuff.

Jerry

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Thanks for the link Andy, I didn't know about those, superb stuff.

Jerry

Agreed, Jerry - they are fantastic models (as is all of Alex's work).

Anyway, I expect Andy would like his workbench thread back...;)

Andy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

I reckon if you shift over to a different L&B then you will keep the RTR folks at bay for a while longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjBKQlr9fSs

The donkey at 1:12 is *NOT* happy!

2 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

That was a WW1 military railway, but using 8mm gauge and 2FS standards, yes

I do like a tin turtle too

P1070451.JPG.fd352446dce392879a61a3c86a3405fe.JPG

1 hour ago, 2mm Andy said:

Anyway, I expect Andy would like his workbench thread back...;)

Oh... don't mind me... the randomness is quite an accurate reflection of the contents of my real workbench anyway.

Edited by D869
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, queensquare said:

jerry

lb.jpg.4d55c0f5b3117360ccd26b2563485cce.jpg

Back in the day, when you had to kitbuild to do the L&B, I produced this. Never got as far as the paint job, or the chassis come to that. Perhaps they came in plain black at some point. It seems I used to be able to solder whitemetal kits, with nothing more than a 12V soldering iron run off an H&M Duette to reduce the temperature. Not sure where that skill disappeared to.

If I was tempted to do something 4mm on 8mm track, I think it would be Darjeeling Himalaya. Or perhaps SAR 2' gauge Beyer-Garratts...

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

I always like to model an area that I know really well and so we have visited Lynton a few times in the last couple of years. It’s preserved railway is delightful. With other foreign prototypes, fascinating though they may be, I would always be doing catch up and making silly mistakes.  

I know that the scenery around Lynton is just crying out to be done with a different twist, even though it may be considered the Ashburton of the narrow gauge world.  Equally there should be a big difference in appearance with the 009 commercially available material - as shown by Alex Duckworth’s and, before him,  Paul Holmes’s layouts. 

Tim

• Agree 2