Airbrush beginner.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Ive never airbrushed anything before. Nor have I even used an airbrush. What would people recommend as a good beginners complete set, including compressor. Not looking for anything wildly expensive, maybe £250 max. 

Cheers

Good morning,

I would recommend an Iwata Eclipse which is double action and gravity fed. Good for general weathering, small detail and painting small items. Picked this up for about £120. A reasonable compressor can be found for about the same.

i started with a Badger which sucked paint from a jar underneath. I found that a lot of paint was required or it would lose suction. The Eclipse can be loaded with a very small quantity of paint and works well. Stick to using enamel paint thinned with white spirit and cleaning is minimal and easy. 

Hope this helps.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Don't get carried away thinking expensive is best. A cheaper brush with well thinned & mixed paint will give you much better results than a more expensive one with poorly thinned & mixed paint.

Good airbrushing is influenced very heavily by how well the paint is mixed & thinned.

I started with a small Clarke garage compressor. Hugely overpowered for the task & very loud. I could not really use it indoors because it was so noisy.

I changed this for a 'silent' compressor, paying a massive premium for the 'silent'..even quieter than the airbrush itself.

I bought an AS186 for my father & was impressed when I tested it. It is fairly quiet & you can get them with or without tanks (In theory the tank should smooth out any pulses from the compressor but I have heard that in practice, the pulses are so minor you will not notice them).

Most AS186 kits come with moisture traps to keep the air dry.

I started with a Badger 200 single action suction feed, so I got used to suction feed. I heard from others who had bad experiences with gravity feed that 'suction was best' & 'gravity spits paint up from the cup all over your model'* so upgraded to an Iwata Revolution BCS double action, which is also suction fed.

(Double action means that you control the paint & air flow with the trigger - down for air & pull back for progressively more paint).

I would probably have bought a Neo by Iwata (their budget range which I believe is actually made by another company), but these had not been introduced at the time.

I never control paint flow with the trigger: I control it with the limiter at the back & pull the trigger all the way back to it, so single/double action makes no difference to me.

I decided to try a gravity feed, so bought a Paasche Talon. Most seem to be double action in this region.

Paint finish seems less to do with the airbrush itself & more to do with how well (particularly how thin) I mix the paint & how patient I am with spraying thin coats.

Out of the 3, I find the Iwata easier to keep clean.

* I have never seen any sign of paint bubbling in the cup, let alone spitting out of it, so I consider this as a problem caused by badly mixed paint & would cause a suction feed brush to simply block up.

In summary, I would buy an AS186 (I am undecided about the merits of a tank).

Some of these kits come with cheap airbrushes for just a small amount more. I would go for one of these & familiarise myself with airbrushing.

Practice on some old wagons or cheap ones bought from a show & get familiar with using it. This will leave you enough in your budget for an upgrade once you have a better idea of what to look for.

You may be happy with it & if you do want to upgrade later, it will help you understand what to look for.

If you find you use it a lot, an upgrade will be easier to justify. If you don't use it much, you won't have wasted a fortune.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Your set should include a method of preventing the atomised paint from going up your nose. Whether you use enamel or acrylic paint (the most common among modellers) you must ensure that you don't inhale the paint particles. With some paints the caution extends to the carrier as well, which can be solvent based. Your choices are mainly governed by your budget and desire to live. Cheapest method is outside in the fresh air, using the wind to carry the particles away from you. Next comes the face mask with filters suitable for 5 micron particles and solvent fumes and, finally, an extractor booth, also suitable for 5 micron particle filtering and either ducting to the outside or internal carbon-impregnated fume filter.

You haven't mentioned what you want to use an airbrush for. Will it be weathering, N Gauge models, O Gauge models, scenery, buildings, or a combination of some of those? Airbrushes suitable for beginners can cause long and involved discussions in RMweb topics. Everybody has their favourite(s) and will give their opinion on them. What I suggest you do is try and find a retailer who will allow you to at least handle them to establish comfort and dexterity levels. I know that that is not always practical or possible. My recommendation for beginners is the lower end of the price ranges from Neo for Iwata, Sparmax, Badger and Paasche. Harder and Steenbeck can also be considered but some of their models are a bit awkward to clean easily.

As mentioned by Pete the Elaner above, an AS186 is a good starter as a compressor, but be very careful of the supplier you use. Make sure that the supplier also stocks spares for the model you buy. In recent times (1 year to 18 months) I have encountered two AS186s that have failed very soon after purchase and had to be written off because the failures were not supported by the retailer. Next up the ladder would be the small range from Sparmax. Whatever you choose you need to take the following into account:

• Low noise
  • Adjustable pressure valve
  • Pressure gauge
  • Moisture trap
  • Automatic start/stop

Be prepared to spend quite a lot of time keeping your airbrush clean. If you don't, it will soon stop working and you'll be back on RMweb asking what's gone wrong. :D

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Buy a good quality compressor with a moisture trap but just start with any cheap airbrush from ebay.  Most of them are reasonable quality and you can experiment to find out if you prefer gravity or suction feed. I prefer suction feed (small glass jar under the airbrush).You will spend a lot of time cleaning your airbrush after a session so ease of disassembly and assembly are important. As has been pointed out above ; getting the right consistency to your paint is very important (viscosity of milk is often quoted) . I usually end up with a 50/50 mix of paint and turps. I don't like the smell of water based model paints ; it is nothing like water based house paint. Whatever paint you use, good ventilation is important : plenty of fresh air but not too windy.

Edited by brian777999

Following a read of the above I have just bought an A186 which came with two airbrushes for around £70. (Ordered yesterday, delivered today, in case you wonder how I managed that quickly.) It seems a solid machine and is certainly quiet (the box says it's 47 dB - I don't have the equipment to measure that, but on experience of noise levels it's not far off that). Unfortunately, I can't do much else at present as all my stuff is in boxes following a recent house move and pending the conversion of the garage into useful modelling space, so I don't have the more useful information as to how well it works on the actual painting bit.  

• RMweb Premium

I mentioned on another post re airbrushing that a jewellery type ultrasound cleaner is a great help in cleaning and keeping jets clear, after a painting session, strip the brush down and toss all small parts in the ultrasound bath for about 90 seconds. Should set you back sub £20 - mine came from Aldi.

Edited by JimFin
Amusing typo correction, maybe should have left it!
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2020 at 09:50, Mick Bonwick said:

Harder and Steenbeck can also be considered but some of their models are a bit awkward to clean easily.

Whic particular ones would they be? I have an Evolution Silverline and it is incredibly easy to clean. The design of the needle nozzle and air cap is a lot better on the H&S than that I've seen on other brands ( can't say I seen them all but experienced some) which require tools to remove them, making cleaning them less awkward to clean than the other brands.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2020 at 17:26, 57xx said:

Whic particular ones would they be? I have an Evolution Silverline and it is incredibly easy to clean. The design of the needle nozzle and air cap is a lot better on the H&S than that I've seen on other brands ( can't say I seen them all but experienced some) which require tools to remove them, making cleaning them less awkward to clean than the other brands.

Your question made me look more closely at the models I had used (Evolution X and Ultra X) and I realised that it was the style of airbrush rather than the make that warranted the 'awkward cleaning' comment. Well spotted!

What I should have mentioned was that bottom feed airbrushes are slightly more awkward to clean than others, because of the change in direction of the paint 'channel'. I must point out that my observations and comments, like yours, are based upon personal expeience.

I do have an observation to make by way of retaliation, though, and that is that tools should not be needed to remove any components of any good quality airbrush. When re-assembling an airbrush, components should only ever be tightened up using fingers. All components must be kept clean when the airbrush is not actually being used.

I hope that this exchange has not put the original poster off his wish to buy an airbrush set. We haven't seen any posts, comments or further questions that suggest we have been of any help to him.

Help!! I now have a brand new AS186 compressor and a Badger 250 airbrush (purchased separately) stood here. I need some sort of adapter between the two, the booklet with the AS186 says "usually our air compressor outlet is 1/8" BSP. If you want 1/4" BSP or other NPT screw thread, you may need other adapters..."

I've measured the compressor outlet and it's more than 1/4", if anything it's 5/16" or 8mm- the inside bore of the outlet may be 1/4" but I'm not sure- it certainly isn't 1/8" in any case. So where do I get the adapter and what size do I need please?

38 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Help!! I now have a brand new AS186 compressor and a Badger 250 airbrush (purchased separately) stood here. I need some sort of adapter between the two, the booklet with the AS186 says "usually our air compressor outlet is 1/8" BSP. If you want 1/4" BSP or other NPT screw thread, you may need other adapters..."

I've measured the compressor outlet and it's more than 1/4", if anything it's 5/16" or 8mm- the inside bore of the outlet may be 1/4" but I'm not sure- it certainly isn't 1/8" in any case. So where do I get the adapter and what size do I need please?

When I got my compressor a few years ago I too had to get an adaptor. It was a Badger 'something' adaptor to 1/8" BSP which I got from a company called 'Everything Airbrush'. No affiliation. They were very helpful and had me sorted with a phone-call. https://www.everythingairbrush.com/

HTH

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

BSP 1/8" has no 1/8" diameter. The BSP threads were initially used for water pipework. A 1" BSP thread was intended to be cut on a 1" inner diameter tube, so the outer diameter of the thread is always larger than expected. Likewise, the BSP 1/8" thread is larger than a 1/8", it has actually an outer diameter of 0.3830" or 9.728mm.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe  for more useless information.

Very confusing!

Michael

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I do have an observation to make by way of retaliation, though, and that is that tools should not be needed to remove any components of any good quality airbrush. When re-assembling an airbrush, components should only ever be tightened up using fingers.

Whilst I'd agree with the general sentiment, by all accounts Iwata is a good quality airbrush, but look like they require tools to remove the nozzle:

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/All-Iwata-Spares-p1.html

On 04/02/2020 at 15:57, Mick Bonwick said:

I hope that this exchange has not put the original poster off his wish to buy an airbrush set. We haven't seen any posts, comments or further questions that suggest we have been of any help to him.

Hopefully it's been informative and he's busy digesting the info. :) It took me a long time reviewing Youtube vids of various brushes and reading lots of threads on here before making my purchase.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Whilst I'd agree with the general sentiment, by all accounts Iwata is a good quality airbrush, but look like they require tools to remove the nozzle:

Yes, I admit to having to use a nozzle spanner to remove nozzles that have been tightened up with one, and nozzles that have become fixed in place wih dried paint. I have also had to use pliers to remove a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus needle from its nozzle that has been fixed in place with dried paint.

You're welcome to have the last word. :)

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Finger trouble.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Hi

Correct they do and the spanner is provided.

Cheers

Paul

4 hours ago, michl080 said:

BSP 1/8" has no 1/8" diameter. The BSP threads were initially used for water pipework. A 1" BSP thread was intended to be cut on a 1" inner diameter tube, so the outer diameter of the thread is always larger than expected. Likewise, the BSP 1/8" thread is larger than a 1/8", it has actually an outer diameter of 0.3830" or 9.728mm.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe  for more useless information.

Very confusing!

Michael

It isn't 1/8" anything as I'm made an impression of the outlet on a bit of paper and measured that (to make it easier to accurately measure) and I reckon it's metric 8mm or imperial 5/16th". Needless to say there is absolutely no contact details in the manual to ask them. I feel like if I contact someone for an adapter part they will ask me the obvious questions, like the diameter of both threads and I have neither. There is a 1/4" pipe adapter listed in the "optional accessories" on the badger info leaflet which would appear to take me a lot closer but not all the way there!

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2020 at 09:50, Mick Bonwick said:

Next comes the face mask with filters suitable for 5 micron particles and solvent fumes 

Any recommendations for home use face masks. I probably only spray a few times a year and try and spray just inside the patio doors but noticed I still get a fine film of paint dust settling which rather rams home the health impact. 

On 05/02/2020 at 22:57, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I would buy a whole set of adaptors like this set on ebay Aust. There should be something similar on ebay UK : search for ''airbrush adaptor set''.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9Pcs-Airbrush-Adaptor-Kit-Fitting-Connector-Set-for-Compressor-Airbrush-Hose/153614559394?hash=item23c42428a2:g:gPIAAOSw5CddX0v2&frcectupt=true

In respect of the safety aspect, you could do a lot worse than to spray outdoors if at all possible. Obviously you need a decent day, certainly over 10C but preferably not much above 20C, and not too windy. Get a smallish garden table and chair and off you go. Much healthier all round!

John.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

In respect of the safety aspect, you could do a lot worse than to spray outdoors if at all possible.

Presumably you can still breath it in even if momentarily though so still best to wear a mask?

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Any recommendations for home use face masks. I probably only spray a few times a year and try and spray just inside the patio doors but noticed I still get a fine film of paint dust settling which rather rams home the health impact. 

Here is just one suitable item:

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=400_14_407_3&products_id=21899

How much do you value your health? Anything that stops paint particles going up your nose is going help maintain it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Presumably you can still breath it in even if momentarily though so still best to wear a mask?

Yes. I think it would still be best to wear a mask.

To re-inforce what others have said, spraying inside can be seriously damaging, and you need a proper mask not just the kind of thing people wear in the street to avoid catching cold. In my early days I was horrified at the result of blowing my nose after an indoor spraying session without proper protection, moreover at times felt quite sick from fumes, especially after cleaning up with cellulose thinner. Whilst many of us probably regard H&S as a bit over the top these days, as far as paint spraying is concerned you really do need to take care.

John.

Another £6.50 spent and another week waiting and this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323638739900

shows up and is actually a 1/2" adaptor, the packaging clearly says 50-023 and 1/4" compressor adaptor

So I'm no nearer having a functional system, I'm still working on the basis that the outlet on the AS186 is actually 5/16" or possibly someone has finally realised that feet and inches went out half a century ago and its 8mm. Either way I still don't know for certain what the outlet of the compressor is, it certainly is NOT 1/8" as quoted by the manual and as it sits uselessly between 1/4" and 1/2" all efforts so far have come to nought. 

Short of sending everything else back to its supplier (the compressor on the basis that the accompanying booklet is wrong) and the adaptor on the basis that it's double the stated size I don't know what to do.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Even though we've hijacked Hilux5792's thread, let's continue with the adaptor saga.

Over the years the AS186 has been exported to this country with either a 1/8" (on the left) or 1/4"BSP (on the right) outlet.

20200212_174053.jpg.7d2e019e8fe659cefa8393ccbe58862c.jpg

Forget measuring with bits of paper and calipers and so on. Is the outlet from your compressor larger than the fitting on your air hose? I suspect that that is the case, so you will need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to reduce the thread size to one which your air hose will connect.

20200205_151927_Cropped.jpg.6f52289457fa4359ec297c0b8a980948.jpg

Another option is to buy an air hose with a 1/4" BSP connector on the end rather than the 1/8" BSP connector that you currently have.

Edited by Mick Bonwick