Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned in my Dock Street Sidings topic I have started another layout. The impetus came from the introduction of the Peco Bulhead OO track and the aim is to have something which is plausible from a scenic perspective but recognising it is actually a shunting puzzle with lots of individual wagons rather than prototypical rakes and strictly accurate loco types and numbers.

Penmaenbach is scenically based in North Wales and I've tried to match greenery and stone work to that area although as the photos will show it has come out a little brighter than planned.

Era is from late blue diesels to Railfreight late 80s although some sectorisation may be evident ( Rule 1 applies) Shunting puzzle is a 3/3/4 with the OCA/VDA as the standard unit. I'll work round the many variations in the rolling stock list somehow! Obvioulsy I reserve the right to use earlier diesels and shorter WB stock. Operation is from the front with NCE DCC and Kadee couplers will be used.

Here's an early picture showing track plan.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48404108867_0ba65df7e8_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
Loss of images
  • Like 15

Nice to see a operational layout, with shunting involved. Is there going to be another  board to allow the mainline to be accessed at the bottom? 

I have included an inglenook in my latest layout, Morley Road. They add a bit of interest and give a reason to run freight trains

You have just added more photos, so I can see it is now possible, even with a class 40!

Edited by muddy water

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Nice to see a operational layout, with shunting involved. Is there going to be another  board to allow the mainline to be accessed at the bottom? 

I have included an inglenook in my latest layout, Morley Road. They add a bit of interest and give a reason to run freight trains

There is a 2' board serving both yard and main. DMUs are available...

PMB DMU.jpg

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Well done Chris!

I know you don't do RMweb much now but I think this one deserves a thread.

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks Wayne - I've had a lot of help and inspiration from some layout threads on here. Fryers Lane and Tees Yard spring to mind.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic layout - as I said on the other thread.

Can I ask about magnets....I see two in the above pictures....is that all you use to shunt the sidings?

I think I remember you saying you only used one in the head shunt on your other inglenook Dock Street. When I did one I used a magnet in every siding to remove the need to return to the head shunt to separate every time. I'm not saying that is right...I'm just interested in your opinion on it. I like the idea of keeping the magnets to a minimum.

Regards,

James

Edited by jamest

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, jamest said:

Fantastic layout - as I said on the other thread.

Can I ask about magnets....I see two in the above pictures....is that all you use to shunt the sidings?

I think I remember you saying you only used one in the head shunt on your other inglenook Dock Street. When I did one I used a magnet in every siding to remove the need to return to the head shunt to separate every time. I'm not saying that is right...I'm just interested in your opinion on it. I like the idea of keeping the magnets to a minimum.

Regards,

James

I'm just using one magnet at the moment - located under the bridge at left. The Kadee is much more reliable with a wagon length either side on straight level track . I did experiment with a Rapido Railcrew undertrack switchable magnet but the British axles were too attracted to it....so it came out...the between rail magnets can be retro fitted if needed though

Magner removal.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Glad to see you gave this superb new layout a thread of its' own @Gilbert
The more I look at this - the more I like it! It's a great design, and a slightly different "take" on the traditional inglenook.

I really like the added running line at the front of the layout. It adds not just running interest and some passenger stock
But you also have the ability to expand the puzzle, and use the crossover to the running line to and from the yard
You can add, remove and swap wagons within the scene, using an additional shunter.

You could also extend the running line to a cassette beyond the right hand bridge if you ever wanted to do so.

But one observation - you know what I'm going to say, don't you?
You could place a mirror underneath that bridge! ;) 

..... ho hum.... Mister Predictable strikes again

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

When I get home I will post a picture of the mirror tiles I have already cut to size! :)

Thanks for that good sir.
BTW - Can I ask, what are the dimensions of the layout?

I suspect it is one of those layouts which cleverly looks bigger than it is. It certainly has a spacious feel about it

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, marc smith said:

Thanks for that good sir.
BTW - Can I ask, what are the dimensions of the layout?

I suspect it is one of those layouts which cleverly looks bigger than it is. It certainly has a spacious feel about it

5' by 1'6" in old money plus a 2' fiddleyard ( which itself has got a small "Whistler"  extension I added later so I could shunt a decent rake of wagons with a Class 40!

Boards were a special from Grainge & Hodder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, marc smith said:

But one observation - you know what I'm going to say, don't you?
You could place a mirror underneath that bridge! ;) 

..... ho hum.... Mister Predictable strikes again

720144324_PMBMirror.JPG.c00a360b19e5a589c5744039921c4d1a.JPG

Very casually dropped in to their future home...a cruel close up of the bridge stone work as well...

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1