Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Gilbert

Glad the layout has finally got a thread of its own. I really like this layout and the way it would suit different era's but it's nice to see an inglenook aimed at long wheel based stock. The station is a great addition to the inglenook as well, I like the way that in can be accessed by both sides of the fiddle yard a bit like a station at a junction with the line diverging to different destinations. 

I'll be following this with great interest, cant wait to see some more pics :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris.

It's looking good, sure puts my layout Tunnock Yard to shame. I envisaged it as an Inglenook with a run round loop. I took it to a local show as WIP but I need to get on with scenic stuff.

You'll have to teach me how you do it! Layout design and working out the track plan has always been my downfall and before I know it a couple of years has passed, by which time a couple of people I know have churned out two or three layouts!

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Just looked back at Dock St Sidings thread as well, both very inspiring and definitely in the 'less is more' camp.

At least there's a chance thats something gets finished.... :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

what a lovely wee layout - I think sometimes when I hear 'inglenook' or 'shunting puzzle' I'm getting ready to see something that although it looks nice, seems a bit 'forced' into its landscape - and often it's a cramped-looking industrial scene.

The bare 'before' pics of some track-in-a-box is such a contrast to the landscaped layout, the change is amazing!

Love the fact that your wagon loads look so realistic too - a detail often missed

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

@Gilbert

Really like the look of this.

What's your method for doing hardstanding and vehicle parking areas? I have some vehicle areas to do on Tunnock Yard and I'm struggling with it, scenery is not my strong point.

Cheers

Wayne

PS: I've got round to replying to your email.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cheers Marc - bit of a mixture really. I had become increasingly unhappy with the tones of the back scene - too bright in the lower parts I felt. Its quite obvious in some of the earlier posts. I also thought the darker tones of the backscene on Bethesda Sidings worked well.

I've tried a few experiments.

Plain backscene, darker trees and a low relief building.

I've also removed the existing backscene and I've got a new one coming with more sky and lighter tones.

The fence in the pictures is also a bit rustic for 1980s/1990s so I'm about to install something a bit more modern.

PMB BS 1.jpg

PMB BS 2.jpg

PMB BS 3.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Cheers Marc - bit of a mixture really. I had become increasingly unhappy with the tones of the back scene - too bright in the lower parts I felt. Its quite obvious in some of the earlier posts. I also thought the darker tones of the backscene on Bethesda Sidings worked well.

I've also removed the existing backscene and I've got a new one coming with more sky and lighter tones.

The fence in the pictures is also a bit rustic for 1980s/1990s so I'm about to install something a bit more modern.

PMB BS 1.jpg

PMB BS 2.jpg

PMB BS 3.jpg

I think the backscene with the darker trees and building looks great :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Cheers Marc - bit of a mixture really. I had become increasingly unhappy with the tones of the back scene - too bright in the lower parts I felt. Its quite obvious in some of the earlier posts. I also thought the darker tones of the backscene on Bethesda Sidings worked well........

Dear @Gilbert

There's only one thing for it......You'll just have to donate this layout to a friendly Welshman! ;) 
Looking good sir :)

• Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RusselBridge2017 said:

Looking very good, love the Limpets weathering, what are they loaded with?

Woodland scenics fine gray ballast - probably a bit clean - I assume Limpets would be more usually used for spoil and waste products?

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, sb67 said:

That looks SO good, I do like seeing larger air braked wagons being shunted about by mainline diesels. Top stuff :)

Definitely - I have some blue diesels that should also look the part - plus I do have a blue 24 that may "last" into the Railfreight era....Rule 1 and all that...

• Like 2