Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Gilbert

Looking good Chris.

I've seen Limpets loaded with new ballast so nothing wrong with those!

I have a video somewhere showing a mixed train of Seacow, Sea Urchin and Limpet all loaded with new ballast. It was being hauled by 37686 in Railreight construction livery and looked really good.

If I can get to StowRail I'll look forward to seeing this.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

If I can get to StowRail I'll look forward to seeing this.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks for the gen Wayne - as for StowRail I can't see it happening TBH - most shows for the next 3-4 months seem to be on hold.

However I will get PMB ready just in case!

23 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Thanks for the gen Wayne - as for StowRail I can't see it happening TBH - most shows for the next 3-4 months seem to be on hold.

However I will get PMB ready just in case!

Yes that's true, I've just seen on the DEMU forum that Showcase has also been cancelled now.

Such a shame but it makes sense really.

Well if it does get cancelled I'll just keep an eye on the thread.

I still haven't tried the ash on Tunnock Yard  yet, been too busy working but should get chance this week. Do you put it down before weathering the track or after?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good day/bad day today.

The good news was I created a small lightweight wooden frame for the layout to sit on in my work room. I think it will also be useable on my Screwfix trestles if I ever go to an exhibition again! The layout is relatively light.

PMB FY new support.JPG

PMB new support.JPG

PMB main layout new support.JPG

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The bad news was the state of the backscene. The printed photo backscene has bubbled quite badly. There was one wrinkle from when I fitted it but that could be covered by a tree. I may resort to my usual very light blue grey paint......it won't look great but it won't look bad either......

Backscene distortion 1.JPG

Backscene distortion 2.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 5

On 23/01/2020 at 12:58, Gilbert said:

The bottom...

PMB Bottom.JPG

3.3.18 4mm bottom 3.JPG

Hi Chris

First of all, very nice layout, love the weathering of the freight stock and the scenic detail.

I've just bought some G&H laser cut baseboard kits too, i guess you pre-drilled the wiring holes in the cross bracing before assembly?

Did you pin the boards together as well as glue?

Also have you used the wooden alignment dowels between boards or 'upgraded' to brass ones?

Apologies for all the queries but would be interested to hear from your experience in using G&H boards!

Rich.

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, D9502 said:

Hi Chris

First of all, very nice layout, love the weathering of the freight stock and the scenic detail.

I've just bought some G&H laser cut baseboard kits too, i guess you pre-drilled the wiring holes in the cross bracing before assembly?

Did you pin the boards together as well as glue?

Also have you used the wooden alignment dowels between boards or 'upgraded' to brass ones?

Apologies for all the queries but would be interested to hear from your experience in using G&H boards!

Rich.

Hi Rich.

The holes came in the cross braces - I assume they still do but they shallower than the sides anyway. (Update -I've got a G&H kit I ordered in March which I've just opened up to check and it has holes)

I just drilled a 16mm hole between layout and FY board ends to take the two wire trackpower connector.

I don't think I pinned or screwed - the fit was so good it was not necessary. I assembled on a flat surface work surface and used bricks for weights and right angles! I used Gorilla Wood Glue.

You'll note I did need to add small packing pieces to give a tight fit where the braces cross. Its worth doing a dry run.

I bought brass dowels from Station Road baseboards. The layout will hopefully go "on the road" so I wanted to be sure of the alignment

Finally my order was a custom 1500mm board so the sides are made up of two shorter pieces with a bracing piece on the inside and I did have to  make a few adjustments to cross bracing etc.

There are fewer cross  braces than spaces - I was able to decide locations based on where PMs would go.

Good luck

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

Such a shame to hear about your backscene problem, though I am sure you will resolve it.  I really like the layout: the quality of the modelling and the amount of railway you have packed into such a small space is quite inspirational.  Top drawer stuff - will look forward to seeing how you get on - feel sure it will bounce back better than ever.  

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Grampus said:

Such a shame to hear about your backscene problem, though I am sure you will resolve it.  I really like the layout: the quality of the modelling and the amount of railway you have packed into such a small space is quite inspirational.  Top drawer stuff - will look forward to seeing how you get on - feel sure it will bounce back better than ever.  

Best wishes, 

Paul

I'm pausing and reflecting while I do a few small bits but I fear the nice pictures may be going.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely job.  Actually, in an unexpected way (for me at least), the change in the  backscene actually draws the eye back to the modelling - maybe it is the absence of distraction which causes me to focus closer in?  In any event, I think it looks really good  - mind you, blue diesels and air braked freight are always going to catch my eye; and even a VR  as well to boot! What's not to like?! :D

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments.

I do like photo backscenes well done but I think the plain sky is just "me" and will be the norm from now on.

I only have two more layouts in the pipeline  but I do have a large pot of Valspar "sky" mixed for me by my local B&Q....hell of a job getting the photo backscene off......the bubbles were easy...the rest less so....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm coming round to thinking a plain backscene is preferable in most cases. Photo scenes are good if the direction of viewing is controlled to a narrow angle, but if the backscene can be seen at a shallow angle the illusion is spoilt due to any building being foreshortened.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I'm coming round to thinking a plain backscene is preferable in most cases. Photo scenes are good if the direction of viewing is controlled to a narrow angle, but if the backscene can be seen at a shallow angle the illusion is spoilt due to any building being foreshortened.

Some people just do these back scenes really well..I'm not one of them..so I make do with what I can....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...