7mm NG G16-138

Arun Sharma

In the absence of an available kit of the NGG16 in its currently used form on the WHR and having reasonable access to the prototype, I thought that it would be useful to attempt to design my own kit of one. Most of the kits I design have been designed in 3D [and cast in resin] but this one will be produced as 10/15 thou etches in N-S. However, having spent several hours clambering over a [cold!] NGG16 with camera and measuring tape and accepting that the five G 16 engines on the WHR all have detail differences, it made sense to input the measurements taken into a 3D CAD package [Autodesk Inventor] and simultaneously plot a new "as is" GA drawing for a specific engine [138]. By creating 0.375mm wall thicknesses, I can thus see whether there are interference problems with the design.

The castings will be unique and drawn in Inventor anyway, so some of these have been added to the GA outline drawing so that the engine develops some character as it is being assembled!

This is not going to be a quick job as I have the odd London Trolleybus and Routemaster to finish in 7mm scale at some point as well.

WHR138f.jpg

2-steam manifold.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

could you not modify a Backwoods kit

Yes - Except that they are no longer available for sale. Whilst there may well be a few secreted in people's cupboards, those are of no use to me.

Since I can and do produce kits, why not do this one?

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1