Point covers

Cofga

In Paul Karau’s “GWR Branch Line Termini” I found a number of photos of turnouts with what appear to be covers over the point mechanism. These appear to be either wood or metal devices placed between and parallel to the rails. They are about 1’ wide, several feet long, and are sloped at each end. My assumption is these were placed over the point mechanism to protect them  from dragging chains and other low hanging appliances on cars and locos. My questions are (1) what was their purpose, (2) in what time period were they used, (3) which railways used them,  and (4) what were the dimensions and construction? I would imagine they could be easily made from styrene or thin brass sheet, but does anyone offer them ready to use?

Larry Puckett

Contributing Editor, Model Railroader magazine

www.dccguy.com

Without photos in front of me, I'd guess your' guess is perfectly correct ........ screw or three-link couplings SHOULDN'T hang that low - but there are always exceptions - moreover GWR & BR ATC/AWS ( call it what you will ) had low-slung fittings on the locos which could, theoretically come loose and dangle .............................. though the danger may be relatively low at your Branch Line Termini, damage cause to a facing turnout could have serious consequences !

• RMweb Gold

The covers were placed over facing point locks and were not usually found on trailing points (for obvious reasons when you think it through). their length and width variued between those c Companies/BR Regions which used them and later FPL mechanisms have an individual cover to keep them clean.

I was told that the previous style of large cover was done away with for staff safety reasons as much as anything else although they obviously did provide some protection to the FPL mechanism.

• Agree 1

Of course I just happened to have an unopened package of the Wills point rodding kit with these deflector ramps included. Apparently they were installed over facing point locks. The instructions say that every set of points that a passenger train passed over had to have a facing point lock to firmly hold the point blades in place. Thanks—Larry

1 hour ago, Cofga said:

Of course I just happened to have an unopened package of the Wills point rodding kit with these deflector ramps included. Apparently they were installed over facing point locks. The instructions say that every set of points that a passenger train passed over had to have a facing point lock to firmly hold the point blades in place. Thanks—Larry

FPLs were only required if the passenger move was in the facing direction. Companies wouldn't spend extra fitting them where they didn't have to.

A facing point traversed only by a passenger train running ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) say, to or from a carriage siding does not need FPLs. The same with Goods trains and light engines.

Will

Edited by WillCav
Adding second paragraph

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WillCav said:

FPLs were only required if the passenger move was in the facing direction. Companies wouldn't spend extra fitting them where they didn't have to.

A facing point traversed only by a passenger train running ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) say, to or from a carriage siding does not need FPLs. The same with Goods trains and light engines.

Will

Obviously staff were a lower priority for safety than passengers?

Mike.