Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

WW1 ROD DCM Group

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, I was in heaven when these came into work this week. Militaria plus railways!

WW1 British Medal Group to 105889 Company Quartermaster Sergeant H Finch, Royal Engineers comprising of 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Distinguished Conduct Medal, WW2 Defence Medal and French Croix de Gurre with Bronze Star. All complete with original ribbons. He was attached to the Railway Operating Division. His Citation for the DCM reads: 105889 CQMS H Finch RE (Wolverhampton) London Gazette 3 Sept 1918. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He managed to detach two wagons containing shells which had been ignited by enemy fire from a train, and by his gallant action saved the rest. He has previously done fine work. 

These have never been on the market before and have come direct from the family. After speaking to the vendor, it turns out he was a Railway Employee before he joined up. After the war he returned to the Railways and served with the LMS. The family story is he became station master at Euston? I have had a look at my Ancestry account and can find a Chief Clerk at Euston sharing his name. I am going to do some more research on him. He must have been in the ARP / Civil Defence / Home Guard in WW2 to get the Defence Medal.

Today they discovered this 9ct gold LMS Ambulance Centre Medallion awarded to him in 1925 for Long Service (which equates to 15 years, most of which would have been accrued in pre grouping days of course).

Cheers, Ade.

80505_1.JPG

80505_1_2.JPG

80505_1_8.JPG

80505_1_9.JPG

• Like 8

• 1 month later...