Anyone Know what this is

Brian Harrap

Not sure about train lift. It's not going to go far before it crashes into the the walkways and it doesn't look like there's anywhere for it to go. 

Twin end discharge tippler for some sort of bogie wagon? Two wagons emptying into the middle, one from each side? 

Justin

• Agree 1

Yes, looking at the angle of the lifting cables, it is to tip something up towards 45 degrees, not lift something vertically.

I’d bet there is a catch-put below the middle, and a tunnel carrying a conveyor of some sort to the factory at the back. Coal, grain, ore, peat, aggregate????

• RMweb Gold

1. I was thinking the ground in front of the camera was the upper level, so further upward clearance was unnecessary.

2. It doesn't look like it moves as the walkway going away from the camera looks like it is fixed.

3. It is something to do with cement.  Holcin is a Swiss cement company now owned by Lafarge.

4. I had (wrongly) assumed that Brian knew what this was and was having a bit of fun.  Knowing his liking for quirky industrial items I figured it would be something whacky.

5. There might be something in Justin's suggestion but the wagons would be huge.

6. I did wonder about boats for transport via the Danube but if there is a railway line through the middle perhaps that's a non-starter and why would you use anything other than a conveyor or a traditional crane?

• Thanks 1

[Edit]

Having denied knowledge of it being there - on checking it is at Lábatlan (Esztergom - Komárom Line) time to check whether it is a new structure, as I don’t recall seeing it there!

Edited by EddieB

1 hour ago, EddieB said:

[Edit]

Having denied knowledge of it being there - on checking it is at Lábatlan (Esztergom - Komárom Line) time to check whether it is a new structure, as I don’t recall seeing it there!

Given the state of the building on the right definitely not new. The site has been levelled on Google maps, however in this case Bing maps is your friend, it's still there for now.

https://binged.it/30O8wau

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, brigo said:

Given the state of the building on the right definitely not new. The site has been levelled on Google maps, however in this case Bing maps is your friend, it's still there for now.

https://binged.it/30O8wau

Brian

Yes, a hasty correction after initially saying that it wasn't Lábatlan, and then finding it on Google Streetview (on my iPad which doesn't show the dates).  Checking on a PC, most of the Google street views are from May 2018 (i.e. after demolition), but there are a couple of frames dating from 2011 and 2013 where the structures are present.  Sadly I don't think the cement works is still operational (hence the demolition), but a Cement Museum(!) opened recently at Lábatlan, which includes a diorama of the railway (but without these structures, it appears).  _IMG_2154.JPG.27bc6aefb48cf1ccc955ea199533cd16.JPG

At the opposite (East) end of the station, there remains a factory that casts concrete sleepers.

Most of my pictures are close-ups of locomotives or the sidings after demolition.  I really should have paid more attention.  The nearest I have is the background to a shot taken in 2009.  MAV used to base a shunter at Lábatlan - noted as an M44 in 1999 and later an M47 later, as here.  Up until 2015, an M47  (by then classified 478), worked freights along the line, but by 2018 these were worked by DB Cargo Hungaria class 0469 (ex-DB class 290).

153247758__RDPV0925.jpg.01f12cacc0fb33433d0546bc171874a4.jpg

Of course none of which answers the original question!

Edited by EddieB
  • Thanks 1