DCC Sound for Industrial Diesels

DCC Sound is something that I've used for a while now, in my O gauge locomotives but it's something I'll be revisiting for OO, with my new layout and so I thought I'd put this list together and, hopefully, people can add to it.

The point of it is to show what sound projects are available and which locomotives thay may suit, other than the specified type that they are actually recorded from. I'm not saying that they will sound exactly alike but if the prototype uses the same type of engine and transmission, they're not going to be a million miles apart, and it's better than nothing.

In no particular order:

Ruston 48DS - a specific sound file is available but there is one for a 44/48HP (recorded from the narrow gauge version) that would be suitable as it is the same type of engine and gearbox.

Class 07 (Ruston LSSE) - the sound file for this may be used in the Yorkshire DE2 as both used the Paxman V6RPHL engine, and both were diesel-electric.

Rolls Royce/Sentinel, as per the Hornby model - The sound file for this will work in just about anything else that used a supercharged Rolls Royce engine and a Twin Disc torque converter. That includes Yorkshire Engine Co. hydraulics and Hunslet hydraulics, also larger Thomas Hills and possibly smaller ones, too.

YEC 'Half Janus' - A sound is available for this but I'm not sure what else it is suitable for. More information required.

YEC Janus - Sounds are available but not all are suitable for all types - more information required.

Fowler diesel-mechanical - Sound is available for this and in the absence of anything else this could be suitable for other DMs.

BR Class 03 - these used Gardner 8L3 engines and self-changing gearboxes. The engine is the same as used in some Hudswell Clarke DMs and the gearbox is similar in operation, so could be used in these.

BR Class 05 - Hunslet-built and so, obviously, suitable for the Hunslet industrial version. Again a Gardner 8L3 but with Hunslet's own transmission, so presumably suits anything else built by Hunslet with this engine and transmission.

Ruston 165DS

If you have any more to add, or any specific information, please add it.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Nothing to add but I have access to a 1:1 scale BR Class 03, Class 08 and Consett/Hunslet diesel mechanical featuring a 4cyl Mirlees engine should anyone want to record such things.  I also have a mile and 3/4 of hill and 250t of metal to sling behind, for audio capture obviously.  Happy to help out if anyone needs audio from the prototype.

Something of note, the class 03 has its air compressor and vacuum exhauster driven by belts from the output shafts on the engine, if one was being used in industry it may have had its exhauster removed which makes a big difference to the sound.  Probably being a bit of a nerd here but something to think about for someone maybe?

• Like 8

On 24/01/2020 at 14:30, Ruston said:

DCC Sound is something that I've used for a while now, in my O gauge locomotives but it's something I'll be revisiting for OO, with my new layout and so I thought I'd put this list together and, hopefully, people can add to it.

The point of it is to show what sound projects are available and which locomotives thay may suit, other than the specified type that they are actually recorded from. I'm not saying that they will sound exactly alike but if the prototype uses the same type of engine and transmission, they're not going to be a million miles apart, and it's better than nothing.

In no particular order:

Ruston 48DS - a specific sound file is available but there is one for a 44/48HP (recorded from the narrow gauge version) that would be suitable as it is the same type of engine and gearbox.

Class 07 (Ruston LSSE) - the sound file for this may be used in the Yorkshire DE2 as both used the Paxman V6RPHL engine, and both were diesel-electric.

Rolls Royce/Sentinel, as per the Hornby model - The sound file for this will work in just about anything else that used a supercharged Rolls Royce engine and a Twin Disc torque converter. That includes Yorkshire Engine Co. hydraulics and Hunslet hydraulics, also larger Thomas Hills and possibly smaller ones, too.

YEC 'Half Janus' - A sound is available for this but I'm not sure what else it is suitable for. More information required.

YEC Janus - Sounds are available but not all are suitable for all types - more information required.

Fowler diesel-mechanical - Sound is available for this and in the absence of anything else this could be suitable for other DMs.

BR Class 03 - these used Gardner 8L3 engines and self-changing gearboxes. The engine is the same as used in some Hudswell Clarke DMs and the gearbox is similar in operation, so could be used in these.

BR Class 05 - Hunslet-built and so, obviously, suitable for the Hunslet industrial version. Again a Gardner 8L3 but with Hunslet's own transmission, so presumably suits anything else built by Hunslet with this engine and transmission.

If you have any more to add, or any specific information, please add it.

Hi Dave,

the Janus used in the recordings for the Golden Valley/Legomanbiffo sound is actually only accurate for one of the models, as built the Janus was fitted with 2x Rolls Royce C6SFL (6 cylinder supercharged engines) other than a handful of prototypes fitted with Cummins NT500 engines. At BSC Scunthorpe in order to reduce the noise from the locos they were re-engined with C6T (turbocharged engines) which drastically changed the tone of them, the loco they recorded for the sound (YE2877 of 1963 Appleby Frodingham No.1, preserved at the AFRPS Scunthorpe) is fitted with the latter. Other than the BSC Janus they released, all of the other models were C6SFL.

As for the YEC half Janus, the sound is suitable for anything fitted with a single rolls Royce C6SFL and is diesel electric (although the sound file isn’t the best).

• Informative/Useful 1

On a tangent, I'm building a Harton No.2 at present and the thought of DCC sound has occured to me. Fitting sound to the 0-4-0 is likely not going to be possible I expect though and not so keen on a attached wagon really. The bo-bo No. 13-15 however...

4 hours ago, Kelly said:

On a tangent, I'm building a Harton No.2 at present and the thought of DCC sound has occured to me. Fitting sound to the 0-4-0 is likely not going to be possible I expect though and not so keen on a attached wagon really. The bo-bo No. 13-15 however...

You say that, I’ve seen sound fitted to the Hornby sentinel, peckett and even the 48DS!

42 minutes ago, Narrow Gauge Jordan said:

You say that, I’ve seen sound fitted to the Hornby sentinel, peckett and even the 48DS!

In some respects, the Harton No.2/No.10 is even smaller than a 48DS! It is lower and has small bonnets either side of a small cab.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Narrow Gauge Jordan said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/148716-hornbys-rh-48ds-for-analogue-control/

10 hours ago, Kelly said:

In some respects, the Harton No.2/No.10 is even smaller than a 48DS! It is lower and has small bonnets either side of a small cab.

Use Paul's work as a starting point for ideas.

• 1 month later...

Looking on Digitrains website shows a sound decoder for a Bagnall diesel. The photo with it is one of those cheapo Hornby things that looks like no Bagnall I've ever seen. Does anyone know what loco this sound actually goes with and what engine is in it? And is the sound file any good?

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

I'm building an 11t Planet  what sound would be good for this loco please? Its the Nonneminstre Models kit.  I am thinking  Gardner, Perkins or Ford 4cyl diesels is this wide of the mark?

Probably not a Gardner as I doubt there wouldn't be the space for one. I think some may have used Dorman engines. I have one of these kits to build and was thinking of using the 44/48HP narrow gauge Ruston sounds simply because the soundfilesounds different to the 48DS and it's still a slow-running engine on a mechanical transmission. There are other narrow gauge diesel sound files out there - I saw and heard some Simplexes running on a layout at Pontefract exhibition earlier this year but I don't know where they are available from.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ruston said:

Probably not a Gardner as I doubt there wouldn't be the space for one. I think some may have used Dorman engines. I have one of these kits to build and was thinking of using the 44/48HP narrow gauge Ruston sounds simply because the soundfilesounds different to the 48DS and it's still a slow-running engine on a mechanical transmission. There are other narrow gauge diesel sound files out there - I saw and heard some Simplexes running on a layout at Pontefract exhibition earlier this year but I don't know where they are available from.

Dave,

What are you thinking? LOL.

I have a Simplex sound project which has either the 40HP petrol engine sounds or by changing a single CV, the Dorman diesel engine.

The 11t Planet seems to have been fitted with a variety of different engine types, so a any compact petrol or diesel engine could be suitable.

If the 'correct' engine can't be identified, I would fit something I liked the sound of as long as it's plausible. e.g 8 cylinder Gardner though nice sound would not have fitted in the engine room.

I've also got recordings of a 2 cylinder Lister diesel and some Ricardos (but without looking I can't be sure of size/power).

Then of course there's the Fowler and Ruston&Hornsby 44/48 and 48DS mentioned above.

Some examples:

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Dave,

What are you thinking? LOL.

I have a Simplex sound project which has either the 40HP petrol engine sounds or by changing a single CV, the Dorman diesel engine.

The 11t Planet seems to have been fitted with a variety of different engine types, so a any compact petrol or diesel engine could be suitable.

If the 'correct' engine can't be identified, I would fit something I liked the sound of as long as it's plausible. e.g 8 cylinder Gardner though nice sound would not have fitted in the engine room.

I've also got recordings of a 2 cylinder Lister diesel and some Ricardos (but without looking I can't be sure of size/power).

Then of course there's the Fowler and Ruston&Hornsby 44/48 and 48DS mentioned above.

Some examples:

Best regards,

Paul

The one in the first video wouldn't be at all suitable. I don't know what the engine is but it sounds to be a high-speed type. The Simplex with Dorman diesel would be as near as possible as I know some of these Hibberds did have Dormans and the gearbox in the Hibberd would have been a rip-off of the Simplex gearbox.

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dave thank you for the swift reply. Of the sounds Paul posted   I like the Dorman  best.

Paul, thanks for those sample sounds  I think its the Dorman with  the gear changing that does it for me.  Of sounds, its a pity non were fitted with a Commer TS3. Although I know Foden 2 strokes were fitted in Planets. Need bloody good ear defenders in that cab!

Hi Mike,

The engine in the vide above is the 40HP petrol.

The petrol and Dorman Diesel are compared in this video, it's not my clip but the poster has been using my sounds form steam and diesel industrials for 5 or 6 years now.

Here's the diesel on a bit more of a run. Volume is very low in this clip, the sound project is plenty loud enough if you turn up the vloume with F28.

And the Ruston 44/48 is here, from the same poster, again a bit quiet, but good volume in the actual project.

Now, if I didn't spend all my time creating sound projects, I might be able to model as good as PLS.

Catch the antics at Drumcudden (and the old Brook Ford thread/saga) on Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling. Very entertaining, so if telly's a poor as usual, here's a place where you can admire the modelling and get sucked into the storyline.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 05/08/2020 at 16:15, pauliebanger said:

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Best regards,

Paul

I have sent you an email about the Ruston 48DS and Hibberd but have had no reply. I have also attempted to send you a personal message on here but it says that you cannot recieve them. Perhaps your inbox is full?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2020 at 20:08, Narrow Gauge Jordan said:

the Janus used in the recordings for the Golden Valley/Legomanbiffo sound is actually only accurate for one of the models, as built the Janus was fitted with 2x Rolls Royce C6SFL (6 cylinder supercharged engines) other than a handful of prototypes fitted with Cummins NT500 engines. At BSC Scunthorpe in order to reduce the noise from the locos they were re-engined with C6T (turbocharged engines) which drastically changed the tone of them, the loco they recorded for the sound (YE2877 of 1963 Appleby Frodingham No.1, preserved at the AFRPS Scunthorpe) is fitted with the latter. Other than the BSC Janus they released, all of the other models were C6SFL

There was a lot of work done on the Janus locos in the early 80's to reduce noise. This included fitting different types of silencers as well as one having the superchargers removed and the fueling changed to compensate. Eventually they were re-engined.

A lot of this work was recorded by us on tape for further analysis. I'll hold my hand up now as you can guess which prat threw all those tapes in the skip about 15 years ago as they would never be needed again.

Sorry, how was I to know the future !

Edited by Busmansholiday
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 05/08/2020 at 10:47, pauliebanger said:

Best regards,

Paul

@pauliebangerI am interested in doing something like this for my latest project. Is the fan motor being linked to engine starting and speed something that I can set up myself, or does it require setting up at the creation of the sound project? The decoder I plan to use is an MX648, with your BR Class 03 sound project.