Modelling cuttings

• RMweb Gold

While I have mentioned this in my Brent thread, I think it will get more attention being called out into its own thread.

In the rear corner of my layout the mainline passes through a short cutting leading into a bridge.  During the construction phase this has ended up slightly closer to the track than I had planned, which in turn is causing an issue with the location of a signal (for which there is insufficient clearance between the edge of the track and the cutting side).

I think I have a solution to the signal issue (shifting it slightly further along under the bridge), but I am unsure about the cutting.  My intention is that this cutting should be covered in grass & bushes etc.  Going back to my university days I recall being taught that there is a certain angle of cutting above which grass will not grow, but I cant remember how steep the incline is above which it would need a retaining wall / exposed rock etc. 

Any thoughts?  I have included a current image below.  Unlike the other side of the cutting which has already been modified, changing this will require a lot of work (As it’s a card core covered in masking tape before plastering, rather than pink foam).

In this sort of limited space, what typically would be the solution in order to fit in the signal (indicated by the skewer) in an area with limited space?

Unfortunately despite modelling a real location, this area is one where due to the constraints of the room and the associated compromises it has deviated from the real thing.  So I can’t just copy what is actually there…06DB50B2-5247-448D-AB33-3871BB618C54.jpeg.14682a8480da9a200cad4c935d4f5703.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

This might help: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1820-embankment-dimensions-gwr/

If you cannot view the cutting from the side then a steeper slope might not be obvious.  You could always put in a low wall at the bottom to raise the level at which the slope begins.  If you did have a wall then it could also have a section where it cuts into the bank further in order to accommodate the signal.

• Like 2