Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Ian Allan book and model shop fined for selling a knife

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Edge said:

I actually tend to agree with the 'verge of entrapment' comments here. Its one thing for the shop to fail to properly ID someone when the law says they should, but quite another for the police to actually provoke such a situation.

As others have pointed out, this is a very common practise in Trading Standards (not the Police) for checking all sorts of restrictions. When a trader fails, the result is a prosecution and no more. Better that than have to trace back after a stabbing to find out where the knife came from. Ultimately, the shop will check in future. All the staff now know and understand why they are supposed to check, managers know that staff are supposed to check. Maybe a check will stop a knife getting into a "wrong 'un's" hands, at least from this outlet.

Is it perfect? No, but then life isn't.

• Agree 5

The one thing missing, which I suspect only the Police know the answer to, is how likely an underage person looking to obtain a knife for the wrong reasons, would have noticed that this toolkit contained a knife, and that there was a chance it would slip under the radar?  If it is unlikely, then they may have caused a crime to happen that otherwise would not have. If however this is exactly the sort of way they might try to obtain a knife, then fair enough.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

Is not the "council employee" then in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place when they exit the shop.....?

Must admit I'm puzzled by this . I was doing the shop in Morrisons yesterday and being aware of this thread was paying a bit more attention to the knives they had for sale .  Lots of them . Every knife can be deadly but there seemed to be some particularly nasty ones there . I never bought one so I don't know whether they would have done an age check thing , but it got me  thinking , once outside the shop could I not be done for having a knife or an offensive weapon?

As to Ian Allan . It is a shame but it is the law , they need to adhere to it .

Edited by Legend

On 24/01/2020 at 21:07, polybear said:

Yet the scrote that was in court yesterday for whacking a a Police Officer round the head (7 times?) with a 2ft long rusty machette was found not guilty of possessing an  offensive weapon.  Fortunately he was found guilty of other charges, so will (I hope!) get sent down....

You mean the one who has already been done and found guilty for 2 machete attack and a rape?

I do like the way his defence said the Police Officer should be charged with using unnecessary force (his tazer) and had been very heavy handed with her client.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Common sense should come into the equation, it's the bigger knives that are used in knife crime, I've yet to hear of anybody being trimmed to death with a Swann Morton scalpel!

Mike.

Common sense has no place in law, it either is or isnt illegal.

On another note, does common sense exist anymore because it certainly doesnt seem that common?

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Perhaps try thinking of this the other way round.  How would you feel if you or someone you know was stabbed by a youth with a knife?  How would you feel if you were subsequently informed that the youth who attacked you or someone you know had bought the knife that morning from Ian Allan?  Would you not think that had Ian Allan not sold the knife, you might not have been stabbed?

Surely da yoof would have stolen the knife rather than buy it?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Martino said:

Good to know.  Last conversation with my UK doctor friend was that he wanted some for himself (to fly with) but it hadn’t been cleared by UK health folks.  If my mother’s doctor can prescribe it for her, that would save me sending bottles of pills from over here!   Thanks again.

I am a bit shocked your UK Doctor friend is uninformed about this, where does he practice? :D

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/melatonin/

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Legend said:

Must admit I'm puzzled by this . I was doing the shop in Morrisons yesterday and being aware of this thread was paying a bit more attention to the knives they had for sale .  Lots of them . Every knife can be deadly but there seemed to be some particularly nasty ones there . I never bought one so I don't know whether they would have done an age check thing , but it got me  thinking , once outside the shop could I not be done for having a knife or an offensive weapon?

Presumably the fact it would still be wrapped in its protective cover and with (most likely) the rest of the shopping even on a “stop and search” they would just give you a judgement call and let you on your way.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, royaloak said:

You mean the one who has already been done and found guilty for 2 machete attack and a rape?

I do like the way his defence said the Police Officer should be charged with using unnecessary force (his tazer) and had been very heavy handed with her client.

That's the one.

I wonder if his brief would've been as righteous if she were the one being whacked round the head?  Still, never let guilt get in the way of a pay cheque.....

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Presumably the fact it would still be wrapped in its protective cover and with (most likely) the rest of the shopping even on a “stop and search” they would just give you a judgement call and let you on your way.

Likewise the knife securely wrapped up, and contained in a tool set,

probably not even assembled as a knife, (blade & handle separate)!

13 hours ago, polybear said:

Is not the "council employee" then in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place when they exit the shop.....?

The offence is the sale of a  knife to a person under 18.  I would assume that the above Council Employee would be over 18 and no offence therefore, committed.  Other laws apply to what an adult may purchase and carry.

Regards

Julian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

The offence is the sale of a  knife to a person under 18.  I would assume that the above Council Employee would be over 18 and no offence therefore, committed.  Other laws apply to what an adult may purchase and carry.

Regards

Julian

They sent a 15 year old in to buy the tool kit......as has been said before this is common practice with trading standards.

• Agree 1

Hi Folks,

How many of you are actually aware that a media led psychological operation is underway to shape your thoughts ?

Take one moment have a think about the way that the world really operates and then go to your own kitchen and count up all of the knifes, including if you are posh like me, cake knifes and cheese knifes, (fish knifes are for middle class wannabe social climbing twerps by the way).

I counted 37 knifes including these which regularly go across a carborundum stone to keep them razor sharp.

530939925_DSCF09051.JPG.b231905ca9f90c170efa0f884cd27fd6.JPG

Big sharp knifes with the remains of a previously murdered and dismembered loaf of bread !!!

Should someone ever decide to cause injury or death to another using a knife ask yourself why they would go to the trouble to actually buy a knife especially for the occasion when all the have to do is to visit the nearest kitchen in any house in the whole of the world and open a drawer. There are 12 million residences in Britain alone, its fair to say that they all have at least a rudimentary kitchen. Multiply 12 million by half the number of knifes in my kitchen and that gives a figure of two hundred and twenty two million knifes.

What next banning people under the age of 18 from kitchens because they contain knifes ?

Think about it !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

How many of you are actually aware that a media led psychological operation is underway to shape your thoughts ?

Leave it out with your continual conspiracy theories.

• Like 4

• AY Mod locked this topic