PL84 & 85 catch points

Great Eastern Lady

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

Has anyone used these on their layouts , I have a couple of places that they can be used 

Just wondering if they’re worth using 

As far as a model railway is concerned,  they are of no practical use at all. However, if you want additional realism, they yes of course,  they should be used. 

• RMweb Premium

They resemble a main line trap or catch point and if using DC they will self-isolate when open.  They also do as their main line counterparts do namely derail a runaway before it comes to more harm.  

• RMweb Gold

As built,the Peco units are trap points not catch points. 

A very simplistic view is a trap point is actuated by the signaller, so can be open or closed depending on the route setting.

A catch point is automatically set to be open. (Although they can clamped closed to allow a reversal over them.)

To use the  Peco unit as a catch point would require it to be held open by a spring so that trains could 'trail' through the catch point but it would automatically revert to open as each wheel set passed through it.

Traps prevented unauthorized moves onto running lines.

Catches were placed on gradients to prevent unfitted wagons from rolling back if they became separated from the train engine. (I always felt sorry for the guard in his van, who would then be at the front of any such breakaway). 

Now that there are no unfitted trains on BR, catch points  have become obsolete.

One example is the climb out from Cardiff (Queen Street) where the Rhymney line climbs continuously to Caerphilly tunnel. 

There used to be a lot of catch points on the up line, but now there are none.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I use a couple of the Peco ones where yard roads feed running lines.  In addition to being correctly placed for prototype they conveniently isolate the siding when set "open" meaning I don't need additional switching.  As with all model points the gap between stock rail and blade is grossly over-scale in order to allow wheels to pass unhindered.