Radio Controlled - Battery 0 gauge

woodys

Hi All, 

I'm building an 0 gauge layout from scratch, my other layout is a large 00 gauge with DCC, NCE system, sound locos, cobalt points to separate toggle switch banks, etc. 

Currently I'm trying to decide whether to take the plunge into battery powered locos, radio control for locos, points, etc. 

I don't have a problem with wiring up a DCC layout, or anything else associated with it really. The layout is in a large barn and might be used infrequently, at present I'm fed up with cleaning track every time I want an hour of running.

My aim is for the best (slow) running and sound possible with whats available. Locos will be all sorts from small up to large diesels and steam. 

I'm looking for constructive advice and people's experience with this, plus ideas on points control.

THanks..

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You might be well talking to users of RC for garden railways. There are several ‘one maker’ options, some of which do offer a bit of extra functionality, but most people use standard 2.4GHz kit as also used by model car and boat enthusiasts, and several makers supply motor controllers that work fine with motors used on garden railways.

One minor issue for 0 is that you will probably want nominal 12V or nominal 18V batteries, which means more cells than a typically used in some applications, but you will only need to supply tiny currents for modern motors, so the cells don’t need to be huge.

Nothing difficult about fitting the kit.

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

You might be well talking to users of RC for garden railways. There are several ‘one maker’ options, some of which do offer a bit of extra functionality, but most people use standard 2.4GHz kit as also used by model car and boat enthusiasts, and several makers supply motor controllers that work fine with motors used on garden railways.

If @woodys wants sound then he will be limited to wireless systems designed to interface with DCC chips. I am not interested in sound myself so I don't know which are suitable - maybe Bluerail or Protocab

...R

Hi,

I'm experimenting with RC for 'O Gauge' (sic) for my garage-to-garage-via-garden line.

On our H&BLR (SM32) layout we run battery and live steam RC, plus battery and live steam free running. No issues or problems to speak of and generally speaking battery installation isn't an issue.

But with 7mm batteries, their size, shape, capacity, reliability and safety can be an issue. So one needs efficient gearboxes and motors etc. At stall Heljan motors can draw higher amperages than desirable, especially when it's a twin motor set up.

There are several RC systems available and generally speaking they work well. Generally speaking systems from the USA interface with sound decoders.

Like you track cleaning is one of my considerations although I'm not going with sound at this time.

Atvb

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I run outdoors with DCC which is a much hasher environment than a layout under cover Woody.  The track is kept in good condition by occasional rubbing over with a compressed graphite stick ( available in art stores).  Track cleaning is normally only a rub over in a few spots every few weeks, mainly to remove bird poo and wipe away leaves. I had similar experiences using Wahl oil but went back to graphite.

In comparison with tests done previously, a squeaky clean track with no graphite or oil lasted about 3 or 4 days before contact started to go down hill.

The choice for me was between constant battery charging and rare cleaning of track and loco wheels.

I already had an investment in DCC and I have been charging batteries since the 70's being involved in electric r/c planes so that may have helped effect my decision. :>)

The best sound options are still with DCC decoders and consisting is easier with DCC so if those are important to you that might also effect your decision. I also like to have my layout available for others and as almost all 7mm scale O gauge modellers I know use DCC that also  counts.

There is no doubt that BPRC is the most reliable but the level of reliability I achieve isn't far behind using locos equipped with stay alive capacitors in conjunction with the graphited track. I can achieve even better results with what some describe as a 'hybrid' option by using a battery instead of capacitors as the 'stay alive'. Just needs the addition of an on/off switch.

Apart from the throttle on my command station, control on my layout is with radio throttles whether  dc, DCC or BPRC.

My layout thread can be found in the 7mm section under The great Australian outdoors

cheers

Bob

p.s. my points are operated by hand  apart from the crossover and access ramp which are powered by the usual Peco point motors and Capacitor Discharge unit.

There are a few radio control systems that people use, mostly but not entirely 2.4GHz systems.  Deltang is probably the best known in the UK.  These are very small so ideal for smaller scales, but this is not an issue for you.  However few if any interface with DCC type sound cards.

Garden railway modellers use other systems and there are sound cards that can be fitted to work with these.  They work from the DC motor control output so do not require a DCC signal, but do not have as many facilities as DCC sound cards have.  They are also quite large but again this may not be an issue for you. This may be your best option.

There are also US systems that do interface with DCC sound cards.   However care is needed as some operate on frequencies that are OK in the US but not allowed in Europe due to regulatory differences.

There is also a  Bluetooth based system just being introduced that may do what you want, some units have been introduced but  it is really still being developed I think.

Points are less well catered for although the Deltang system does have some receivers aimed at accessory control.

Frank

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fallen said:

There are a few radio control systems that people use, mostly but not entirely 2.4GHz systems.  Deltang is probably the best known in the UK.  These are very small so ideal for smaller scales, but this is not an issue for you.  However few if any interface with DCC type sound cards.

Try this:

http://fosworks.co.uk/OMNI4pt1.html