What is the name of that 'better quality' plaster

Back in the day when I modelled mountains and valleys I remember that there was a 'better quality/stronger' plaster but can't remember it's name or brand - it was 30 years ago anyway so times change. I'm looking for something stronger than standard plaster of paris. And will it be something my 'local' model shop will stock? Gaugemaster? Hobbycraft?

Thanks

Dental plaster for high definition rock castings.   On the current scene Woodland Scenics 'Lightweight Hydrocal'  C1201 is a general purpose modelling plaster and a for a bit of rock carving, they also do one for casting rocks.  Both good, but If it's simply terrain covering then I no longer use plaster as they are all too brittle with baseboards banging around in transit.  Instead we picked up on an American recipe that works very well and remains somewhat flexible known as 'goop'. Briefly, 50% each 'Sculptamold' or similar cellulose plaster and 'reptile grade' vermiculite (used for incubating reptile eggs), a blob of white PVA and emulsion paint.  Mix to with a drop of water to give a stiff spreadable mix. Takes all kinds of scenic treatment, more details if required.

('Modroc' is the plaster bandage  stuff)

Steve

Edited by steve W
added words
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, steve W said:

Dental plaster for high definition rock castings.   On the current scene Woodland Scenics 'Lightweight Hydrocal'  C1201 is a general purpose modelling plaster 

Thanks Steve

Ahhh!  Dental plaster or hydrocal those names/terms ring a big bell.

TBH it's not for rock casting it's for making a flat smooth road so something not too hard as I will need to sand it nice and smooth for the Faller roadway vehicles to run down.

Other than Woodland Scenics any other sources of hydrocal/dental plaster?

• RMweb Premium

Hydrocal is said to turn into alabaster when it sets.  You could check with your local sculpting shop.

One property of Hydrocal is supposed to be no change of volume when it sets, making it good for castings.

15 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

TBH it's not for rock casting it's for making a flat smooth road so something not too hard as I will need to sand it nice and smooth for the Faller roadway vehicles to run down.

Then 'Sculptamold' is probably one of the better options. (EDM Models is one source) It's fibrous texture gives it flexible strength and lightness. When dry it is very easy to sand smooth if neccesary. It also has the advantage that wetting it allows it to be reworked if neccesary e.g. adding the Faller guide wire.  I have found plain 'Sculptamold' to drag and be a bit 'sticky' when trying to get a flat surface (possibly being impatient and not waiting for it to partially set first) and this is where adding 30-50% vermiculite with a drop of pva ('goop' mix) has worked to make a better spreading mix that can be sanded smooth when dry.

Steve 

At work we use herculite plaster, as it is tougher than normal and actually expands a little (which can match casting shrinkage). I have used it to make things I know may be damaged. Problem is it is generally in 25kg bags.

I have used one of the lightweight fillers from the DIY sheds or Screwfix/Tool Station.  These are the ones which when you pick up the pot you wonder if there is anything in them.  Doesn't add much to the weight of a baseboard.  For all these 'plaster' tasks I always add PVA to the mix or brush it on to the surface I'm about to cover.

Tony