z21 shorts when connected to the power supply.

M Graff

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, mpj99 said:

3) if still blue try powering up with a 15V 6A supply I have (I know the voltage is a bit low but it's the closest I've got).

Take it you meant if still red ?   Blue is good, red means its still sulking :)

Ill nip to the shed in a bit and grab a photo of the two different supply cables, they may be different as mine is the Z21 black but it MIGHT help :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Excuse the quality but the lighting isn't the best in the shed

Z21 power supply is a 20v  2.6 Amp ?  Probably different for the white z21 version

IMG_20200810_135817.jpg.afd51e43c56cfb668b7456dacbbf4d24.jpg

Router power supply

IMG_20200810_140053.jpg.7546d94dc4520c060697ed29fafda4cf.jpg

And front and back of both boxes showing connections and lights

IMG_20200810_140313.jpg.cb784e6bc1aa4614d093702c708c30aa.jpg

IMG_20200810_140413.jpg.5be9cc71ca0b6f51e1d672c11a9b1027.jpg

Hope these are of some use

An update...

I went over yesterday and many thanks to those that said check the power supplies. 

First thing I did when I got there was check the power supplies and guess what, the one plugged into the Z21 said TP-LINK on it and the one plugged into the TP-LINK router said Fleischmann on it. Lesson, check everything. Swapped over the supplies and we had a blue light, yes!

But, the iPad and the phone will still wouldn't link to the z21.

Well the maintenance manual said the most stable configuration was to connect the pc directly to the z21, so I did this. No response, tried lots of IP addresses (should have been 192.168.0.111), also tried pinging various addresses, no response. 

Sometime about now I found that the router was using the wrong address 192.168.1.1 so did a factory reset, this changed the SSID from Z21 to TP_LINK, not a problem and the IP addr to 192.168.0.1.

Then feeling totally frustrated at not getting the pc to link to the z21 I plugged both the pc and the z21 into the router and BINGO the maintenance software recognised the z21 as a z21 white and gave me the firmware version number and hardware type. (ONLY)

I think I've a problem with Windows 10 not allowing the right ports to be opened. Any suggestions.

Linked the iPad and phone to the router and they both linked through to the z21, put a loco on the track and with a bit of difficulty we had movement.

Many thanks to all

Malcolm

5 hours ago, mpj99 said:

But, the iPad and the phone will still wouldn't link to the z21.

Well the maintenance manual said the most stable configuration was to connect the pc directly to the z21, so I did this. No response, tried lots of IP addresses (should have been 192.168.0.111), also tried pinging various addresses, no response. 

Sometime about now I found that the router was using the wrong address 192.168.1.1 so did a factory reset, this changed the SSID from Z21 to TP_LINK, not a problem and the IP addr to 192.168.0.1.

Then feeling totally frustrated at not getting the pc to link to the z21 I plugged both the pc and the z21 into the router and BINGO the maintenance software recognised the z21 as a z21 white and gave me the firmware version number and hardware type. (ONLY)

I think I've a problem with Windows 10 not allowing the right ports to be opened. Any suggestions.

I'm glad that we've been able to help.

As far as the networking stuff goes, this is the explanation.

The z21 has a FIXED IP address of 192.168.0.111 so any device talking to it must be on the same subnet, i.e. it must have an IP address of the form 192.168.0.nnn.

Your laptop is almost certainly configured for DHCP and the z21 box is NOT a DHCP server, so when you connected the laptop direct to the z21 it would not have been given an IP address and therefore wouldn't be able to talk to the z21.

If you ever need to get your laptop to talk directly to the z21 (router disconnected) then you have to change the properties of your laptop LAN port to a fixed address, such as 192.168.0.112, then you should be able to ping the z21 from the laptop. (you'll then need to change it back to DHCP for normal use).

For the same reason, when the router had an address of 192.168.1.1 it was also unable to connect to the z21. IP address 192.168.0.nnn is on a different subnet from IP address 192.168.1.nnn.

By resetting the router it now has the correct address, which is on the same subnet, so it can connect to the z21. Also, the router IS a DHCP server, so your laptop can connect to it without any issues.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like the next task is track and wheel cleaning :D

Regards,

John P

Edited by jpendle
Clarity