Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bulleid Leader cab details

I just recently purchased a Golden Arrow kit of the Bulleid Leader. The kit comes with cab interiors for both driving cabs and the fireman's cab. I intend to make all the cabs visible so I'm wondering if there are any photos of the cab interiors other than the photo in the Kevin Robertson book and if anyone knows what the colour scheme was. I was told that all the hot surfaces (smokebox, firebox etc) were most likely black but what about the walls and ceiling etc? Plus, the moulding of the firebox interior shows it having a wooden floor. Would this have been painted or bare wood? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Evanelpus
Spelling error.

14 hours ago, Evanelpus said:

...the moulding of the firebox interior shows it having a wooden floor. Would this have been painted or bare wood?

The floor for the firemen to stand on while working is unpainted wood in every loco with a wooden floor that I have seen. Very scuffed and dirty wood in a working loco, with road dirt, coal dust, ash, soot and oil vapour residues well ingrained. (But kept swept clear by any good crew, to minimise the risk of loosing their footing due to a build up of loose debris on the cab floor.)

• Like 1

The interior of the driver's cabs may well have been painted a pale green colour as used on SR emus. The colour wasn't just some designer's dream, it had been agreed with ASLEF, after careful consideration of alternatives, as the colour least likely to distract drivers.

• Like 1

Eastern Counties buses (& presumably the rest of the Tilling Group, using Bristol/ECW buses as the standard) also had green cab interiors. My mate drove for them in the early 60s and told me that green was the most "relaxing" colour for the eyes so that is why it was used in the cabs.

Stewart

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all those who commented. It had been suggested that the cab walls and roof may have been cream, but the light green colour makes more sense being SR practise to begin with. I can certainly attest to the calming effects of light green on the eyes, being a watchmaker for over 35 years and working with light green workmats all that time!