OO gauge backscene height

I'm building a large OO gauge layout in my garage. I am planning the backscene and wonder how heigh to make it. My plan was 300mm as that will divide a 2400mm wide board in 4 and give a scale height of 75 feet. Is that heigh enough to look realistic?

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Higher the better I would say, mine is 2 foot high.

I agree with that sentiment but your choice may be driven by how you are going to create the backscene. Commercial versions seem to be 9, 12 or 15" tall but if you are painting or having your own printed, make is as tall as you can. If you have access to a printer, do a couple of A4 pages with a picture (Portrait orientation) and see how that looks for you as it would be just shy of 12"

Edited by JimFin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Jim has just made the points I was going to make. I recommend ID backscenes which are photographic and very good. Their standard range for 00 scale is 15" high but they can do then higher for special order. When I built my first layout in a shed which was much lower than the one I am doing now, they made me a set of backscenes 27" high.

I think that for 00 gauge you will find 12" too low and should go for a minimum of 15".

Robert

Edited by Robert Stokes
spelling

It would depend on a few things.

If the layout is permanent then the higher the better. I painted my wall sky grey for this reason & it should become the backscene. I have a lot to add to the lower areas before worrying about backscene, so it will be a while before I find if this will work.

If the layout is designed to be taken to an exhibition then it needs to be small enough to transport. A 3' high backscene will probably be impractical for this.

For the purposes of being a back scene, I agree that the higher the better and perhaps the width of the baseboards would be appropriate.   I think the only constraint to that would be for an exhibition type layout where the operators are behind the back scene.  In such circumstances, it is necessary to be able to see over the top of the back scene, which means a compromise needs to be reached between the back scene serving its purpose and still being able to see over it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi thank you for all the replies.  My baseboards are 42 inches from the floor, it is a static layout in my garage but built to be moved if necessary (I've been caught out by this before).  The former garage door is boarded up and I can go as high as i want to on this wall, and probably will as I plan to have photos of Dartmoor on this wall.  Along the sides of the layout, I have gone for 15 inches (the tallest I could fit with cupboards on the wall) increasing to 18 inches for my the sides of my sea wall section.  Its far from perfect, but I think with the space available, its the best I can do.