Accuracy of Lima LMS GUV 37762

• RMweb Gold

Simon,

I think it has been said that the body dimensions are good, although the detailing and the windows are not up to current standards. I seem to remember that the ventilators also need changing to shell vents?

The underframe is okay, but the bogies are totally wrong. Bachmann 9' LMS  bogies are a good replacement. 

So, it can be made into a decent model with a few tweaks. 

Not sure what you meant when you referenced the Dapol Stove R?

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's been a while since I did mine (although I have a couple more to do, at some point) but from memory the bogie pivots are too far apart. Possibly a result of them using a bogie with the wrong wheelbase, so when fitting the correct bogies you may need to address this.

Wizard/51L do an etch to improve the brake gear.  I used an ABS cast battery box, I think, I assume there is something suitable in the Comet range.

• RMweb Gold

Lima used the BR B1 bogie from their mk1 coaches as a generic bogie, incorrectly, on this as well as the GW Siphon G.  On the Siphon, the pivots are in the correct position for replacement bogies and I’ve used Stafford Road/Shapeways Americans on mine. 

I’ll keep an eye on this thread as I’m interested in one of these GUVs myself if a decent one turns up on ‘Bay at a decent price.  

Thank you all for the comments 

All helpful and I’ll give an upgrade a go

Hope I’m not bidding against The Johnster on eBay

Comment on the Stove R was just that at one stage I was tempted to get one and go through the upgrading but  another thread put me off with the amount of work

I gather there is a Comet models version but don’t know how that stacks up

• Like 1

The Dapol StoveR was not great.  Too many compromises and 3'1" wheels instead of 3'6".  The central line on the LMS version was in the wrong place.  So, yes, the amount of work to get it to work and to be accurate is great.  I did do one and as I recall it runs on the club layout.  I ended up building the Comet kit which turned out well.  I no longer these, they were sold.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Simon60 said:

Comment on the Stove R was just that at one stage I was tempted to get one and go through the upgrading but  another thread put me off with the amount of work

Not this week, Simon, and I usually restrict myself to ‘Buy It Now’ items...

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Simon60 said:

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2020 at 13:45, MikeParkin65 said:

At work so can't access my Bookmarks  in Exact Editions but there is good article on updating the model in a back issue of BRM.  I'll update the post with  which month and year when I get home unless someone beats me to it. 

July 2014 :)

• Thanks 1

There was an article by David Goodwin about upgrades for the Lima GUV years ago.

They are part of the NPCS stock running on Mostyn.

The magazine in question didn't last long publication wise.

Mind, I can seek out a digital copy that is somewhere on a hard drive... :blush:

• RMweb Gold

My upgrade, when acquisition of a round tuit enables progress, will consist mostly of replacing the B1bogies, pizza cutter wheelsets, mushroom blob undersize buffers, and couplings.  There isn’t a lot of handrail to worry about on this vehicle, and any underframe work  will consist of replacing Lima’s plastic lumps with whatever is to hand in terms of vac cylinders, dynamo, and battery box.  

I don’t have a vehicle in LMS passenger livery, so this is an opportunity. 

Edited by The Johnster

I recall an article in RM in the 1960's, part of a series by the LMS Society, dealing with this vehicle. The accompanying drawing was comprehensively dimensioned and I was quite impressed that the underframe transverse trussing was detailed. ISTR this was drawn by Arthur Whitehead as most of the series were. When I bought my Lima one on release and saw the unusually detailed transverse trussing, I surmised they'd acquired a copy of the same drawing.

The NIm. 

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2020 at 16:43, The Johnster said:

Back tracking; I’ve just bought an LMS liveried one on ‘Bay; hope it’s not one you were chasing! 

• RMweb Gold
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 18:30, brossard said:

Two things:

First the thread I linked to contains all the information you will need to upgrade the GUV.

Second, I have an unmodified model looking for a home.  I'm in Canada so shipping may be an issue.  I shipped a small packet to UK yesterday for 7 pounds.

P1010110.JPG.faabb9f4f14d8d3b1ebbc70fc529f0c0.JPG

Those could be Hornby 8' 6" bogies.  Also Kadees.

John

Mainline BG gangways have been added to the one in the photo. A GUV, by definition, has end doors/drop flap, correctly represented in the Lima model. The bogies are standard Lima and wrong, as fitted to almost every coach they offered bar the Mk3s.

BTW, the Kadees have been fitted upside down.*

The Lima models are fairly easy to obtain in the UK, Hatton's get one or two most weeks and the going price for a near perfect example is around £15. If you want a slightly rough one to work over, no more than a tenner.

John

* On second viewing, the Kadees are the right way up, but I mistook the vac pipe for the uncoupling tail, which has actually been cut off.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's one I did (much) earlier (1996 I think, but overhauled last year with its second set of Bachmann bogies.

The new camera is unforgiving of my somewhat shanky weathering and I notice the wheels have yet to receive my usual application of Humbrol 98...

Recipe is, Buffers and roof vents, Comet. glazing SEF, bogies Bachmann, wheels Gibson, couplers, Kadee in Keen CCUs, brake wheels Cambrian.

My first attempt at what seemed (at the time) a fairly major bit of hacking. It's No.008 in my carriage register.

PPG90052c.s4w.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I'm sure I've got a kit for one of these somewhere. Westdale?

One of those aluminium kits that I took one look at and put in the pile. The word basic is a bit generous. Bought for something like a fiver with a Stove R of similar crudity. ISTR the Stove R windows are wrong. I also got an inspection Saloon for the same price.

Jason

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm sure I've got a kit for one of these somewhere. Westdale?

One of those aluminium kits that I took one look at and put in the pile. The word basic is a bit generous. Bought for something like a fiver with a Stove R of similar crudity. ISTR the Stove R windows are wrong. I also got an inspection Saloon for the same price.

Jason

I wonder if the GUV and Stove were sold as  a pair; I've got the two as well. 'Basic' would be an understatement...