On 11/08/2020 at 10:43, Mick Bonwick said:

How many people do you know who have a box somewhere that contains a few wagon kits?

P1020230.JPG.46f6a1ffbde786391ed72017b4833493.JPG

How many people do you know who, when seeking that box among all the other carefully labelled boxes, find that there is another very similarly labelled box?

P1020231.JPG.8c0a072744ec44ed5930675af3fb3c8c.JPG

How many people do you know who, when examining the contents of the two boxes, find that there a couple of duplications? :scratchhead:

Do it all the time.  The only comfort I get is that, like yourself, I am at least consistent in the naming

Brendan

• Like 2

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 23:21, BrendanS said:

Do it all the time.  The only comfort I get is that, like yourself, I am at least consistent in the naming

Brendan

I think we are all revealing our age by confessing to the "box problem"?

The young modelers haven't been modelling long enough or haven't the resources to accumulate a box, never mind multiple boxes of anything!

Still, when we come across such a situation it is a good chance to rationalize/dispose/build or otherwise combine the boxes? - unless they are all too full to be able to reduce the numbers easily?

But I suspect most of us just find the thing we were looking for and consign the problem to the "get round to it" page in our memory/diary/mobile phone??

Cheers all

Paul   

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Signals.

Not a subject that has really interested me until fairly recently. I knew that I would need to have signals at Easton - I had seen them in photographs. :)

When my original sketches and drawings were being sketched and drawn, I made a note of where there should be signals and what type they should be. They were semaphore and I thought I wanted colour light, because my potential operating period was going to extend way beyond the real railway's lifespan. I used this drawing from B.L. Jackson's book about the railway to organise my plans:

P1020325_Cropped.jpg.b615d695dc94c0b0a4554bf6b3a7586d.jpg

At the time this was all going on I was participating in the build of 'Little London/Alton Heights', a layout in the roof space of the Alton Model Centre, and a fellow member of the group was offering a signal building service. When I presented my Easton plan for discussion we came to an agreement. He would build my signals and I would give him my money.

In due course I was presented with a Dorothy Perkins shoe box that looked like this:

P1020322.JPG.f1a4137c585adef905637b2598fba574.JPG

The ground signals are a later addition to my accumulation of items to be added at a later date.

This (signal) post has arrived here because of a conversation with a chap from Stowe Magna about his signals. It made me wonder where my box of signals was, so I raided my stored boxes and, to my surprise, I found it. I shan't be installing any signals yet, though, because there is too much yet to be done before I can risk them being in the vicinity of my elbows. I will be planning their precise locations, though, just in case I have to move any under-baseboard wires or components.

A closer, but less than perfect, picture of the signals:

P1020326.JPG.a3fb04b256102da03db04e59e45d1ac1.JPG

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Grammar.
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Signals.

- section snipped -

A closer, but less than perfect, picture of the signals:

P1020326.JPG.a3fb04b256102da03db04e59e45d1ac1.JPG

I note you are assuming that Easton retained a signal box, hence the E plates, rather than giving them DR for the Dorchester panel box that covered Weymouth.  They still were all DR over there last time I looked despite the recent (IIRC) signalling area changes.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, john new said:

I note you are assuming that Easton retained a signal box, hence the E plates, rather than giving them DR for the Dorchester panel box that covered Weymouth.  They still were all DR over there last time I looked despite the recent (IIRC) signalling area changes.

Rule 1 may apply...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

Rule 1 may apply...

As an Island resident I am more than happy to think local independence would have ruled over the branch if the line had stayed open. Long live Rule 1 for such instances.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, john new said:

Not an assumption, John, a fact associated with my version of history. :) There are some things about British Railways that progressed differently in my world, and I haven't yet decided what all of them will be.

There will certainly be a signal box, water tower, station building awning, yard crane and engine shed that can all be seen from the cab of a class 24 or 33. No panniers or diesel hydraulics, either!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

4D-006-014%20C-1200x800.jpg

38 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

There will certainly be a signal box, water tower, station building awning, yard crane and engine shed that can all be seen from the cab of a class 24 or 33.

...or 73. :good_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

73s are jolly useful, clever locos, but Easton would be quite some way from the nearest juice rail, and that means only 600 hp. Not convinced the class would be regular visitors. 

But they look nice.....

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

73s are jolly useful, clever locos, but Easton would be quite some way from the nearest juice rail, and that means only 600 hp. Not convinced the class would be regular visitors. 

Have you never heard of double-heading? :locomotive:

Regular visitors would probably not include Lords Nelsons, Bulleid Pacifics, King Arthurs, S15s, Ns, Std 5MTs or 10203, but they're likely to appear! :swoon:

When running in prototypical mode there will be a small variety appearing - O2s, G6s, O2s, Ivatt 2MTs, O2s, you get the idea?

When running in my version of history mode there will also be some standard tanks, DEMUs and classes 24 and 33.

And then there's Rule 1 mode . . . . . . . . .

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

...but Easton would be quite some way from the nearest juice rail...

That depends on Mick's version of history.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2020 at 17:57, Oldddudders said:

Given Mick is assuming the line stayed open why would it not have been electrified along with the actually done Weymouth scheme? (1987 IIRC).

Edited by john new
Typo corrected
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Because 

"Regular visitors would probably not include Lords Nelsons, Bulleid Pacifics, King Arthurs, S15s, Ns, Std 5MTs or 10203, but they're likely to appear! 

When running in prototypical mode there will be a small variety appearing - O2s, G6s, O2s, Ivatt 2MTs, O2s, you get the idea?

When running in my version of history mode there will also be some standard tanks, DEMUs and classes 24 and 33."

If electrified then few of that lot would have been present. And once juice rail is installed it is hard to un-see it. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The absence of weathering output has prompted a return to a 'spraybooth on the layout' requirement. A few hours of pondering, and searching the shed for appropriate items, has produced a temporary construction that allows the playing of trains to continue and the weathering of them, too.

The result has increased the height of the painting turntable from floor level, but that has proved to be perfectly acceptable.

P1020495.JPG.4f08acf5f71425e68e4218119565af02.JPG

Of course, once that was in place, I had to check that everything was ready to proceed.

IMG_0589.JPG.1816455d62e5bd94fc12240ae03e567a.JPG

Some time ago I read an article by @Giles where he had used water soluble oil paint to make a locomotive look used but cared for. I bought some of that material and then kept it safe for a few years. An urge to work on another Peckett came over me, so I thought I would give his method a try. First attempt has not quite produced what I envisaged, but there's plenty of scope for change because it is taking a long time to dry.

This post is relevant to Modelling Real Locations because it is preventing me from doing it. :D

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1