• RMweb Gold

Having printed off some sheets of textures ready for my experiment, I cleared the decks for some modelling. For a change. In addition to the paler stone sheets, I had used the same process from altering the stone sheets to print some paler shades of doors.

P1020705.JPG.cfe9829fc05b9b14d4cda620e5d23998.JPG

I duly chose a couple of doors that I thought looked a bit distressed and set about sticking some paper to some card. I used an old brush, some cheap PVA and a piece of 1mm greyboard left over in the "Paper and Card" box, craftily named to show what it might contain. A couple of hours later I had this on front of me.

P1020707.JPG.cca4d46e2d0d7b763a6e2b1aa9519ae5.JPG

Once that was finished, and having thought to myself that it didn't look too bad, I went and celebrated with a cup of coffee. Upon my return, I looked at it and thought something else - it didn't look right to me in its 'finished' state. Assuming that this was going to be used as one wall of a warehouse, and ignoring the fact that the quoins are only on one side of the sliding door (the side with the gentle curve half way up) and the the other door is glued crookedly, what would you say by way of criticism?

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Once it is part of a structure you will, I am sure, add weathering and tweaks which will add character and realism and then it will look stunning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Having printed off some sheets of textures ready for my experiment, I cleared the decks for some modelling. For a change. In addition to the paler stone sheets, I had used the same process from altering the stone sheets to print some paler shades of doors.

P1020705.JPG.cfe9829fc05b9b14d4cda620e5d23998.JPG

I duly chose a couple of doors that I thought looked a bit distressed and set about sticking some paper to some card. I used an old brush, some cheap PVA and a piece of 1mm greyboard left over in the "Paper and Card" box, craftily named to show what it might contain. A couple of hours later I had this on front of me.

P1020707.JPG.cca4d46e2d0d7b763a6e2b1aa9519ae5.JPG

Once that was finished, and having thought to myself that it didn't look too bad, I went and celebrated with a cup of coffee. Upon my return, I looked at it and thought something else - it didn't look right to me in its 'finished' state. Assuming that this was going to be used as one wall of a warehouse, and ignoring the fact that the quoins are only on one side of the sliding door (the side with the gentle curve half way up) and the the other door is glued crookedly, what would you say by way of criticism?

RE - it didn't look right.  The small door and tall door to me are out of proportion in relation to each other. The big door looks about 2.25 times the height of the small and to look "right" would probably need to be much wider.  (Or conversely the other door is too small) Also many buildings with that big sliding type of door have it mounted outside the wall (allows things to be put against the inner wall) whereas that one is an inside slider. Stone tone looks good.

A black line up the centre would make it pair of opening doors.

Edited by john new
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

As a foreground feature, maybe not quite, but as a background scene-setter it looks suitably drab. 

Definitely not a foreground feature, Ian, as you say, and I'm not so sure it could appear in the background either. Read on.

2 hours ago, ian said:

Once it is part of a structure you will, I am sure, add weathering and tweaks which will add character and realism and then it will look stunning.

Thank you for your confidence, Ian, but please read on . . . . . . . .

2 hours ago, john new said:

RE - it didn't look right.  The small door and tall door to me are out of proportion in relation to each other. The big door looks about 2.25 times the height of the small and to look "right" would probably need to be much wider.  (Or conversely the other door is too small) Also many buildings with that big sliding type of door have it mounted outside the wall (allows things to be put against the inner wall) whereas that one is an inside slider. Stone tone looks good.

A black line up the centre would make it pair of opening doors.

Yes, John. The right hand door is, I am sure, to 7mm scale and the left hand one to 4mm scale. If the sliding door was hung on the inside wall  of this building, the stone walls would be extremely thin! I avoided showing it as hung on the outside wll because of all the extra wourk that would have been involved in manufacturing the rails, wheels and so on. It was, after all, a quick test to check colours and textures.

Despite all this, the scene is set for further Scalescenes kit work. I have printed off the free weighbridge/coal office/depot office kit and will be assembling that very soon.

https://scalescenes.com/product/r024-weighbridge-or-coal-office/

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A few shots of Portland stone buildings from Chiswell from my files; the two-storey store shed with a first floor loading door above the bigger cart doors seems to be a local style, some having the door centralised some with it off-set. Several are still surviving near me in Underhill.

The ornate brick/stone facade is in the former station approach road in Easton, an interesting challenge to model.

Hope these help or are at least of interest.

A7FD43C0-466C-4CD7-A8D2-6CD002B58FE0_1_105_c.jpeg.5ae7253c94c31cdb04a1f778dcc2523e.jpeg

ADD89C39-16C7-4FA2-BFFE-E206197F43C9_1_105_c.jpeg.f30a65e89658fb06f8e4355252482de6.jpegCE0F3FCE-10E8-4D61-934E-7982E8058EEA_1_105_c.jpeg.b23e0ceeeced22e0df8dcb869076cde1.jpeg040A3761-15C9-43F0-8A48-0D99E76D9167_1_105_c.jpeg.773b9eb3e2c8bbe5c66bacca36a3ee19.jpeg

5451EBEB-E241-47F1-95CA-1A1992B9853C_1_105_c.jpeg.d3eef997c08e3a2003e2e41de852d820.jpeg

EDIT 18 Nov 2022 - these may not be the exact same one's as originally posted but fit the context of the original post.

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It has been steadily deteriorating over the 34 years we have lived here.  It still had the Perfume Factory notice up when we moved here and has been a crab facility also since then. I think the roof just became less and less safe and eventually fell in!

Very contentious site in planning terms over the last five(?) years as the land at the back of it was granted permission for houses on appeal and the resultant designs are not what the locals would have wished for this site in both roof height and design styles.

This was the developers view of the site and its history is on the Dorset County web site (Link to planning app search page) and the application is WP/15/00368/FUL on Brandy Lane*. This a local historian's web page with old pictures of the other end of the site.

Some of the roof was still on in July 2011, I'm afraid my photo archive is not yet metadata coded and this is the best I can find from the date order folder header names. If I come across further shots I will add them.

5DCBE46F-6C36-43B7-A16D-51BBB65485B4_1_105_c.jpeg.4c2c9df1f5bf3cb0922a50c8c125ffde.jpeg

Edit 18 Nov 2022 - this is the same building but may not be exactly the same image as originally posted.

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the photographs and the links, John. The planning document appears to be unavailable, but that is not a problem. I have used Google Maps to obtain a view from above so I know what the floor layout looks like, and the building has joined the queue of planned structures that will appear on the layout in time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The full planning app docs and plans are on the Dorset County website and should be there as it is legislative requirement for them to be accessible. You might have to go onto the site and open & save them individually if the link to the PDF didn't work. The application was WP/15/00368/FUL and search for it via Brandy Lane.  However, the DCC website seems a bit volatile, papers and plans that were there yesterday not there today.

As an aside the latest glitch is that the developers apparently managed to hit a deep level storm sewer with the piling rig and then filled it with concrete, result some flooding in recent heavy rain and a big repair upcoming!  The location on the Esplanade I took the photo from is currently closed to walkers as a knock on result.

Edited by john new
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There has been progress with the construction of the Scalescenes weighbridge hut, or depot hut as I have intended it.

The instructions that come with the kits are very comprehensive and work perfectly if you take the trouble to read them. Ahem. When I did follow them, I ended up with a set of components that were all the right shape and size, and ready to be assembled.

The set of components in this photograph . . . .

P1020715.JPG.bd585b336f7a15ce21c5d42b90064605.JPG

. . . . .is not the same set of components that contributed to this building . . . . . .

P1020718_Cropped.jpg.f011a89fd3a95dc9a5eb659e51414d32.jpg

. . . . . . although they are both from the same kit. Once all the illustrated components have been assembled, I will have two similar buildings. One of them will be better than the other. ;)

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The second depot hut is finished. With the confidence instilled by completing the first one, this one took half an hour less to do, start to finish. :P

The interior walls are nicely printed to represent a whitewashed brick finish, so I thought that the door should be depicted slightly ajar. Although this idea resulted in far more cutting out and measuring, the result is that you can only see marginally more of the inside than if you peered through that tiny window. And you need a torch in order to do that as well.

IMG_0784_Cropped.jpg.4ebce5602de70312e4f07c19ab8db08b.jpg

IMG_0785_Cropped.jpg.b1421be374a1ccc05b3d6cdc0941c633.jpg

This has now led to research into the sort of details needed to furnish the interior with desk, table , cupboards and, of course, a light. The first one to be completed has had a floor cut out, covered with a wooden planked texture and then stuck to a greyboard base. The hut is an interference fit onto the floor. The robust nature of the construction can be clearly seen here.

P1020708_Cropped.jpg.9ea934f8d273728236e00572b433f618.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, nickwood said:

Neat job, not wishing to be picky but shouldn't the barge boards sit below the slates? :punish:

I did think that when I first put the bits together as a dry run, but then I referred to the illustration in the kit and on the website.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I did think that when I first put the bits together as a dry run, but then I referred to the illustration in the kit and on the website.

Well, In all my years as a surveyor, I can't recall ever seeing bargeboards installed like that on any building. Looks like whoever built the kit for the illustration got it wrong then. As designed, does the slate roof overhang enough to extend beyond the bargeboards if they were to be installed in the correct postition?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nickwood said:

As designed, does the slate roof overhang enough to extend beyond the bargeboards if they were to be installed in the correct postition?

Not as designed. but not too difficult to alter. Number three will be along just as soon as I've done some weathering . . . . . . . .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Not as designed. but not too difficult to alter. Number three will be along just as soon as I've done some weathering . . . . . . . .

It’s doubtful that a small hut like that would have bargeboards anyway.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I think this is the point where one needs to look at the real thing rather than modelling a model, or someone's impression of the real thing.

4411513_49cc1f70_1024x1024.jpg

https://s1.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/41/15/4411513_49cc1f70_1024x1024.jpg

weighbridge02.jpg

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/weighbridge02.jpg

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Edited by ian
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The third/fourth hut is well under way, but I've noticed a difference in the design of the kit over the years. The first two were built from downloads from many years ago that were printed off when received and have been sitting in the stash ever since. The third and fourth have been downloaded more recently and printed off last month. When the third was started I noticed that the instructions differed and subsequently that the components differed. I also discovered that I had been building one hut (the third) with the instructions from another (the second), which explained why the third one was consigned to the dustbin at the almost complete stage.

When I'm at the appropriate stage, I'll show the fourth one without barge boards and with them, and you can all decide how it should look once completely stuck together.

Not long now.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

The components of No. 3 have been retrieved from the bin. I thought I'd see if I could assemble them in such a way as to hide my mistakes, so that means I'll have something to do tomorrow. :rolleyes:

P1020756_Cropped.jpg.563faaf556b5b1328e652c535f5cc922.jpg

No. 4 progresses. Barge boards or not?

P1020764_Cropped.jpg.df387cf1282ba74297293f2b3e6bfaf3.jpg

P1020765_Cropped.jpg.0479fbdcda16620094feb507b83ec30d.jpg

P1020766_Cropped.jpg.3b42e13c5611007fc8b80a2e079178b4.jpg

Here are numbers 4, 2 and 1 for comparison purposes:

P1020757_Cropped.jpg.39aaa2334a6b92cbc9e03286fe896082.jpg

The roof on No. 4 (left-hand one) has been made from a different sheet from the kit-supplied roof slates. It's the third roof made for this hut, the first two were rubbish! Who would have thought that something as small as this would take so much effort to construct?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Having reassembled No. 3 with properly squared corners and a roof template of the right proportions I found that the roof tiles had been damaged by excessive glue, so I decided to replace them with red clay tiling. The result looks as if it belongs in the Mediterranean area somewhere. The wall containing the chimney had to be swapped over to the other side of the hut because the edges of the wall were not square.

All four together then, showing how different the results are if you make a few small changes each time you build one.

P1020770_Cropped.JPG.38f7710e7a9ed0fb485d8fdc21d6d582.JPG

When I was searching for some Brassmasters windows I was sure that I had bought (!) I found some chimney pots that I had bought in November 2013. They have finally been used for their intended purpose!

• Like 13