• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with Easton, or modelling, come to that, but I thought I'd let you know that I only had to queue for 35 minutes to collect the turkey at 7 o'clock this morning. How often do you get the chance to stand 6 feet away from complete strangers, in the dark and the rain, in a queue outside a butcher's shop and openly discuss your plans for celebratory meals? It must have something to do with the time of year.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I only had to queue for 35 minutes to collect the turkey at 7 o'clock this morning.

I thought you would have been fattening up your own. Merry Christmas to the Bonwick household :kingchris:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with Easton, or modelling, come to that, but I thought I'd let you know that I only had to queue for 35 minutes to collect the turkey at 7 o'clock this morning. How often do you get the chance to stand 6 feet away from complete strangers, in the dark and the rain, in a queue outside a butcher's shop and openly discuss your plans for celebratory meals? It must have something to do with the time of year.

Sounds like a blast! :rofl:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, nickwood said:

I thought you would have been fattening up your own.

It has been considered in the past, but the idea was discarded. Pets are not for eating, apparently.

47 minutes ago, nickwood said:

Merry Christmas to the Bonwick household :kingchris:

Thanks, Nick. Merry Christmas to all of you, too, and an Apothic New Year.

:friends:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Thank you, Grahame. The reference:

331584159_ApothicRed.jpg.22fc7ba1d1b1a6dea9e3b1ccc1dedc54.jpg

Season's felicitations, dear boy.

Oh dear....

We seem to have lost the Groan button only to gain a Whine one!!!!!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Makes one almost want to model main lines again...........

Some people call it Rule 1. I call it my train set.

It's quite within my bounds of possibility that 2 or 3 car Bulleid sets continued from Weymouth to Easton!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It's quite within my bounds of possibility that 2 or 3 car Bulleid sets continued from Weymouth to Easton!

Not sure of the full rakes without looking in a lot of books but Stuart Morris’ film on YouTube of the Last Train to Easton also has a still shot of a pannier with a Bullied coach. As it was two Ivatt tanks that worked the last train top and tail (with at least two Bulled brake ends in the excursion set) the pannier had to be on an earlier date service train.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, john new said:

Not sure of the full rakes without looking in a lot of books but Stuart Morris’ film on YouTube of the Last Train to Easton also has a still shot of a pannier with a Bullied coach. As it was two Ivatt tanks that worked the last train top and tail (with at least two Bulled brake ends in the excursion set) the pannier had to be on an earlier date service train.

Apropos nothing really, but I was on that last train with my grandfather, we passed our house! Until recently I had all stuff that came with it, including the tickets - alas a former Mrs. Miserable classed it all as junk.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Quite Right too!

Mick, sorting out the story behind unusual workings on our layouts is good exercise for the old grey cells!

Best Christmas Wishes and hoping the New Year is better than 2020 for All of Us.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

The fireman on one of the 2mts on the last trip was Denis Turner, I was fortunate to interview him as part of the HLF raliway project I completed. This a video of the final train with the memories of some I interviewed dubbed over. Apologies if I've posted this before. I was given access to the film by the Dorset History Centre.

A Merry and safe Christmas to all who follow this thread.

Martyn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Progress on the row of cottages. Very slow progress, it has to be said, but progress, nonetheless.

P1020775.JPG.c24a79697af2b2c06b0d0130f1910b5a.JPG

I think I'll refrain from entering the workshop tomorrow. It might be frowned upon. :no:

Opposite here....I'll be severely admonished if I stray into the kitchen...so I've moved the "late morning refreshments" already......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Miserable said:

Apropos nothing really, but I was on that last train with my grandfather, we passed our house! Until recently I had all stuff that came with it, including the tickets - alas a former Mrs. Miserable classed it all as junk.

I don't suppose you took any photographs of the road side of the goods shed, did you? :good_mini:

• Like 1

Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

I don't suppose you took any photographs of the road side of the goods shed, did you? :good_mini:

In all the photos I've seen of the station area I have still not seen a photo of the other side of the goods shed though I have been told it was very similar to the more well known side.

Martyn

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking a step back.

While discussing the construction of free Scalescenes huts I was told about this:

https://www.chrisinden.co.uk/product-page/laser-cut-parts-for-scalescenes-weighbridge-coal-office

I have one in my sticky little mitts and will be doing some more work on huts, very soon. Should be interesting . . . . . .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year.

It will be better than last year!

The sun will shine,

Models get done.

We'll have a laugh,

And poke some fun.

Trees will grow,

And trains will run.

That and more,

In 2021.

We all live in hope!

Not often that one is looking forward to having a jab....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

We all live in hope!

Not often that one is looking forward to having a jab....

I always look forward to my flu jab. 20 years ago today I was suffering from what my doctor called "a rather nasty case of pneumonia" following flu. Covid vaccination will bring the same degree of reassurance. Those choosing to miss their jab must know something I don't. 

• Agree 8