• RMweb Gold

As part of the process to prove the ballast worthiness of Easton's trackwork I have been playing testing some trains. I recently saw some questions about the haulage ability of a Dapol B4 and, having one of these tucked away in a box, I thought I'd see how mine performed.

It managed a total of 17 vehicles before it started to slip on this, the part of the layout with most track resistance (reverse curves and multiple points). That is perfectly adequate for my needs.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

A belated “happy birthday” to your shed, your shed shares the same birthday as my Mum. Luckily I wished my Mum a happy birthday yesterday otherwise I’d have been in trouble! :lol:

I didn’t want to mention it was my Mum’s birthday on your post yesterday because I didn’t want it to distract the attention from your shed on her special day

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Some might say, "What a relief". Others might cheer and go and do something useful instead. The remainder will probably find something vaguely amusing to post.

I'm sure we'll manage to plod on until next time ! :lol:

Is that vague enough ?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

No further updates on Easton progress for a week or so. I'm otherwise occupied!

Some might say, "What a relief". Others might cheer and go and do something useful instead. The remainder will probably find something vaguely amusing to post.

In the meantime, here's a well-worn cab shot:

IMG_0653_Cropped_2.jpg.ee8af1da2780edc4eff7f107ec8fbb61.jpg

That looks like I feel, well worn!

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The return to the workshop has not been without its niggles. Last week a couple of weathering tasks meant that the itch to get on with ballasting wasn't scratched. Then, to irritate the itch even more, I decided to try out some different ballast, from Natural Scenics. It looked promising, but now that it has arrived and been opened, the disappointment surfaced. I bought three different colours, to play with, but all three have turned out to be wrong, compared with the Woodland Scenics mixed grey used previously. Not to worry, a Rule 1 train with different mineral loads will now be possible. Clouds, linings, etc.

All of the trains that had been assembled for track testing have now been used to verify that the points all work as designed. Every assembled train (25 of them)

P1010582.JPG.11f5f07cc259d08b3e6432d64474b941.JPG

has now traversed every point (47 of them) on the layout in both directions. The only derailments out of all those combinations were four of the Accurascale HUO hoppers. I haven't yet investigated the reason for that, but I'm sure it's going to be another case of uneven pointwork. I'll get the hammer out tomorrow and test that theory.

There have been some strange noises coming from the roof today . . . . . . . . .

P1030030.JPG.938e45f9341cad840263ec02324a244a.JPG

To begin with I thought it was pigeons, but the sound wasn't quite the same (footsteps, not 'voice'). Curiosity aroused, I ventured outside with camera in hand. This rather splendidly attired chap watched me very carefully as I adjusted my position.

P1030035_Cropped.jpg.22a21b8cb408db6186f09e434b53a532.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Re derailing wagons - fairly sure I have read somewhere recently that the OO B-2-b setting has been changed; it may have been Wright writes but I can’t be certain.  It makes sense as I have one older Y point (PECO streamline) and my recently bought new Bachman wagons all derail, everything else runs through fine. I have put my old C&L go/no gauge on them and their wheels are set too close in on the axle for the go gauge to fit.

Wheel sets not yet adjusted to verify that is the problem. I only mention it as it is your newest items that are derailing.

Hope this helps.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

To begin with I thought it was pigeons, but the sound wasn't quite the same (footsteps, not 'voice'). Curiosity aroused, I ventured outside with camera in hand. This rather splendidly attired chap watched me very carefully as I adjusted my position.

I take it he's now in the game larder and the Mrs has a new feather in her hat!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Some progress can be reported.

Windows wide open, fan going full blast, face mask on and pheasant still on the roof.

P1030079_Cropped.jpg.6b421ba2d63f4dc00ba338745408320f.jpg

I shall now leave the room and get some coffee, waiting for the air to clear.

P1030077.JPG.5a7e1944ca27f3b5f7c4d4b9b93a54bc.JPG

First stage of a very small area of track completed.

P1030076_Cropped.jpg.b59db9b2367463f9a08965ea6954ba02.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Least you have the butter ready for when you get that pheasant!

Or are you planning to make it a sandwich?

Nothing can be better than at the present time of a present to a pheasant on a pleasant day.......and so on!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Ballast laid dry and teased into position.

P1030081.JPG.80d7bda60bab49dfabecda53ddd13654.JPG

Wetted with isopropyl alcohol and then dilute PVA dribbled on. Using a pipette!

P1030082.JPG.5a9f67c412ab14f108f50acae47b6d70.JPG

Stray pieces of ballast subsequently carefully removed from the tops of sleepers and sides of rails, and the whole lot left to dry until tomorrow. I calculate that at this rate I will have finished all the ballasting by Christmas next year, assuming I do nothing else.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Least you have the butter ready for when you get that pheasant!

Or are you planning to make it a sandwich?

Nothing can be better than at the present time of a present to a pheasant on a pleasant day.......and so on!

All together now:

He's not a pheasant plucker...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what I'll find when I venture outside today. Will there be a horrible ballast mess on the baseboard? Will the laptop have miraculously fixed itself? Will the PVA mixture have dried up in its airtight container? Will the pheasant still be nailed to the roof?

We'll find out after breakfast.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I reckon one of you lot has nicked the pheasant. It has not been around at all today. Maybe I shouldn't have advertised its whereabouts. Now I'll have to do all the ballasting myself.

The laptop is still dead - well, the screen is, anyway. It's chuntering away to itself in the corner, so I'm hoping it's just taking a long time to install an update.

The ballasted 12" that was done yesterday has dried to an acceptable state this morning, so I've painted the rail sides with Vallejo Beige Brown.

P1030083.JPG.920c48c7ad39f32f709ac167ae5124d6.JPG

I then moved on with another 12" and have laid, tapped, teased and glued the stuff onto the track. With any luck you won't be able to see the join.

P1030084.JPG.2238728ee2b1290b5746323ad6c8a502.JPG

I'm going to progress with ballasting for a while, but I think it might be best not to post photographs of each 12" section while I'm doing it. I'll have to think of something else to keep you amused. Or you could do that yourselves, of course . . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I see you have a small spray bottle for the isopropyl alcohol - does using that move the ballast around when wetting it ?

And how do you intend to work around the point tie bars ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1