• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I think he may have already been!

IMG_8781_Cropped.JPG.62d3c35096a294735d1c751d818195b8.JPG

Tidy. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your comments and observations. Somewhat humbled by it all!

This was a really good model to work on and allowed me to get stuck in to lots of mud and dirt that I couldn't justify on model railway stock. I have always had a soft spot for little grey Fergies (who hasn't?) and had been searching for a 1/43rd model for some time. I found a couple on the website of a farm machinery supplier and paid what was probably over the odds, but I'd achieved my aim.

I didn't use an airbrush at all, because none of the effects it can produce were suited to my idea of what it should look like. I had taken a good few photographs of these machines, mostly at steam fairs and the like, with layers of dirt from still being used as workhorses. I thus knew what I wanted to replicate and had worked out how to do it before starting. Testor's Dullcote, three pigments and a wash were all it took to get to this state.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/22965-something-agricultural-for-christmas/

I used some spare time (!) at Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers' Summer Retreat in 2019 to get on with it, but hadn't taken my camera with me, so I had to use my 'phone which, at that time, was not my choice of photographic instrument.

P1000421_Cropped.JPG.5cf6278f05ec422d8402b3d22d2dcd85.JPG

This was round about the same time as another non-railway item was worked on, but I don't have this one any more. ;)

IMG_8776_Cropped.JPG.d4a935e8265f3fa9d0832e68ed9aeca0.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is there still a Dorset Steam Fair, somewhere not that far from Portland? A couple of mates from Kent went every year. One owned a tractor, but I think they went in the other chap's Morgan. 

I think that it's at Blandford Forum, which is north of Poole. Never been but want to go.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Is there still a Dorset Steam Fair, somewhere not that far from Portland? A couple of mates from Kent went every year. One owned a tractor, but I think they went in the other chap's Morgan. 

The very big Dorset Steam Fair is now held north of Blandford off the A354, Tarrent Hinton?. The smaller Portland Steam Fair was held at the former AUWE Southwell site but relocated to a site at Chickerell a few years back. Both off in 2021 AFAIK  due to COVID.

Edited by john new
Typo AUWE not AWE
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I think that it's at Blandford Forum, which is north of Poole. Never been but want to go.

Highly recommended Mick, one of the many highlights being the late night event whereby the traction engines all blow off their whistles !

Worth camping for the whole weekend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Thank you all for your comments and observations. Somewhat humbled by it all!

This was a really good model to work on and allowed me to get stuck in to lots of mud and dirt that I couldn't justify on model railway stock. I have always had a soft spot for little grey Fergies (who hasn't?) and had been searching for a 1/43rd model for some time. I found a couple on the website of a farm machinery supplier and paid what was probably over the odds, but I'd achieved my aim.

I didn't use an airbrush at all, because none of the effects it can produce were suited to my idea of what it should look like. I had taken a good few photographs of these machines, mostly at steam fairs and the like, with layers of dirt from still being used as workhorses. I thus knew what I wanted to replicate and had worked out how to do it before starting. Testor's Dullcote, three pigments and a wash were all it took to get to this state.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/22965-something-agricultural-for-christmas/

I used some spare time (!) at Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers' Summer Retreat in 2019 to get on with it, but hadn't taken my camera with me, so I had to use my 'phone which, at that time, was not my choice of photographic instrument.

P1000421_Cropped.JPG.5cf6278f05ec422d8402b3d22d2dcd85.JPG

This was round about the same time as another non-railway item was worked on, but I don't have this one any more. ;)

IMG_8776_Cropped.JPG.d4a935e8265f3fa9d0832e68ed9aeca0.JPG

I know and here it is in the wild.....

2209.jpg.2f5019b078cdd3e71aa1499f5b05c410.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

More progress on the Scalescenes + ChrisInDen terraced houses. I have deviated

(pause for effect)

from the Scalescenes instructions and plans to reduce the thickness of the end walls and change the arrangement of gutters and downpipes. I wanted to have the option of adding LED lighting at a later time, so the roof has been made as a removable object and that has resulted in some strengthening being needed. It has meant that the roof has taken longer to construct than the rest of the darned thing!

Never mind, here is the current state of play. There is much yet to be done, so any observations will be greeted by, "I'll sort that later".

P1030438.JPG.644f5c32bb6ecd0165ecf383366a36e4.JPG

P1030436.JPG.913e996bbacbfccb1abc7e204acee469.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I wanted to have the option of adding LED lighting at a later time........There is much yet to be done, so any observations will be greeted by, "I'll sort that later".

Presumably you've painted all the inside walls a fairly dark colour to stop light leakage ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Presumably you've painted all the inside walls a fairly dark colour to stop light leakage ?

The inside walls are that thick that the light has no chance!

P1030393.JPG.6df66dd5faad8c726e26c1ed3945d9d1.JPG

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Photograph added.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Brinkly said:

I've just spent a very enjoyable afternoon reading through your thread, Mick: really lovely modelling! I'm thoroughly inspired by your scenic work!

All the best,

Nick.

Thank you, Nick, it's nice of you to say so. It's the part of modelling that I enjoy most, even though it's not what I'm best at. :)

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

More cottage/terraced house work. I'm not sure what to call the building now. It started life as the Terraced Houses but has gradually changed into something more like the Row of Cottages. It will be called The Dwellings. I've decided!

My inability to work neatly enough has resulted in damaged areas and bits that don't fit. I've abandoned the idea of installing any lighting because the whole lot may not even be placed on the layout. No final decision made yet. The roof is now stuck down and the structure attached to a base. There is still work to do around the roof area - chimney pots, flashing, guttering and bargeboards.

P1030492.JPG.5d2c76fb651c241b36956d0b0c94dc40.JPG

P1030497.JPG.329efd6236a42f2c72ac42702e5d9e49.JPG

I'd like some advice from all you expert card modellers, please. The previously mentioned damage includes the edge of the roof at one end, where I ignored the instructions and tried trimming the tiles before the glue had dried. Now I am in no doubt about the reason for the warning. What do you think, from your experience, that I should do about the white paper showing on these damaged edges so that the repair is invisible? Replacing the roof is not an option!

P1030495.JPG.941b00e6d8bad6ef6e4b04a4c228ec8b.JPG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

What do you think, from your experience, that I should do about the white paper showing on these damaged edges so that the repair is invisible? Replacing the roof is not an option!

You could perch a seagull on the end of the ridge and then claim it has....well you can guess the rest.

Seriously a touch of grey felt tip or similar and then weather it! You should be good at that :D

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Ivy.......the plant variety!

Growing up the wall and onto the roof..

Before doing that a light grey wash on all edges, then hold the building upside down and do the same to some of those exposed tile edges as well.

It can be saved.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the responses, helpful, unhelpful and funny.  I knew that was the mixture I would get!

I have implemented the felt tip idea. I didn't have an exact match (who'd have thought that?) but found one that was close enough to not be noticed at normal viewing distance.

P1030499.JPG.3651f2f9165312f81783a2832dd198a8.JPG

Not totally happy with the model, but it will suffice for the time being. That's Bloomfield Terrace sorted - apart from the roof stuff and drainpes.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5