• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

The sleeper-grimed track is now being beige-browned. I'm still referring to the coloured illustrations on the back covers of Brian Jackson's books.

P1030860_Cropped.JPG.d20264093bee57b7bc3c87e0042af4c0.JPG

This afternoon I took a photograph of the photographs and was thus able to enlarge the images a little, and was surprised at how much more detail became visible.

P1030861_Cropped.JPG.25a4de76d9b47dfe4ab15251eaa1ed5b.JPG

P1030862_Cropped.JPG.037c016461e6907ad9a43e46b6fa3560.JPG

Yes. I know they're Panniers. Or, to be more accurate, a Pannier.

Some of us like a nice Pannier. I wonder who cleaned it!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Mick , this might be of some help with your platform building. its about halfway down the page.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham-ewer-street-the-gate-house-has-gates/page/97/

All the best Adrian.

Splendid, Adrian, thank you very much. From what you provide here and all the help given by folk on poor Kevin's topic, I can progress with something that will at least look presentable. He said, confidently.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Platform work set aside for a few days, for various reasons, but a quick visit to the workshop this afternoon enticed me to open a box containing seafoam. I thought I'd just make a small shrub to go outside the hut, using a small piece of seafoam.

Straight out of the box the seafoam still has all of the seeds attached to it and I tend to remove as many of these as I can or they can show through as black spots in the foliage. Which is exactly what they are, of course.

P1040015.JPG.9cbc47ce6f3832b71cc4245abc5a2edc.JPG

Seafoam is very fragile, but I find that it can be worked quite hard without damage if it is only a small piece being manipulated. Once the seeds are removed the branches are trimmed to the required shape, trying to leave a stem that can be used to plant the shrub in the ground. PVA is dabbed on to the branches using a wet brush, which helps to keep the applied blobs smaller than neat PVA.

P1040009_Cropped.jpg.9e3a20604f88783396143df06b6bf0eb.jpg

Once the shrub has enough glue applied it is prinkled with Woodland Scenics Fine Turf of an appropriate shade, and planted in a drilled hole after applying a blob of PVA to the stem.

P1040012_Cropped.jpg.b7c3c0381e4cb568cb9c704fc1f683b7.jpg

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Photographs
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Continuing to work on the ground level scenics made me realise that I should have given myself a completely flat surface across the boards, rather than attempt to use the closed cell foam as a track bed only. I have now started to add in the areas of foam that had originally been omitted. It has provided some few hours of entertainment while trying to cut out complicated shapes from a material that stretches and twists as you cut it. It's given me another reason for not yet starting on the platforms, as well.

P1040058.JPG.2b71a3e5c9000d7e4e4bf2c713e0b195.JPG

P1040059.JPG.3ed1e3c419d7e8fad8b5e39d7377ab36.JPG

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Oh look, a landrover.

[adenoid voice]

Ah yes, the Series 1 with the canvas cover, as produced between 1948 and mid-1951 with a constant 4WD via a freewheel mechanism.

[/adenoid voice]

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

My S1 (actually 1952) didn’t have constant 4WD, though it did have manually engaged Fairey free wheels in the front hubs.  

Then again Solihull probably didn’t envisage it having a snorting great 184bhp V8 when it was originally built...

great fun, particularly at traffic lights :) 

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Simond said:

My S1 (actually 1952) didn’t have constant 4WD, though it did have manually engaged Fairey free wheels in the front hubs.  

Then again Solihull probably didn’t envisage it having a snorting great 184bhp V8 when it was originally built...

great fun, particularly at traffic lights :) 

I have absolutely no idea what my Land Rover has under the bonnet. It seems to be welded shut. I've just noticed that the lights don't work, either, so I might have to get it seen to. On the positive side it does have five wheels, so that is something to be thankful for, just in case it gets a puncture while being driven over that silver sand.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

A concentrated effort with the black stuff has seen the completion of the section not covered by spray booth and associated equipment.

P1040111.JPG.a59f1ab829d02db61c71940da868b7f4.JPG

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2021 at 18:53, Mick Bonwick said:

I would like it to be known that no Land Rovers have been harmed in the production of this thread, and that they are all very well protected.

810694578_BWFilm12029_Cropped.jpg.4cb2fb9879f1cf6072c378e60c473202.jpg

Any idea what the ironmongery was for ?

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, figworthy said:

Any idea what the ironmongery was for ?

Adrian

It was to prevent decapitation. All round visibility was paramount for every person aboard vehicles in Aden at the time; grenades needed to be seen coming and rooftop snipers needed to be seen when they popped their heads above the parapet, so windscreens were folded down and tilts never used. The nasty people then found that they could string wires across roads at about passenger neck height and cause casualties. A bit of angle iron soon put paid to that idea.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It was to prevent decapitation. All round visibility was paramount for every person aboard vehicles in Aden at the time; grenades needed to be seen coming and rooftop snipers needed to be seen when they popped their heads above the parapet, so windscreens were folded down and tilts never used. The nasty people then found that they could string wires across roads at about passenger neck height and cause casualties. A bit of angle iron soon put paid to that idea.

Thanks. 

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

The basis for the higher ground at the south end of the station is now in place. All that remains to be done is to carve, sand, plaster, paint, silver sand/chinchilla dust, ash, grass and finish it.

P1040170.JPG.a13f8d63afa06cfdb0995e6de41091c3.JPG

• Like 14

Hi @Mick Bonwick I have enjoyed reading through your topic over the last few weeks. There are some brilliant examples of modelling on here. Thank you for sharing. I have bookmarked several items I am interested in for future reference. Easton is firmly on my Follow list.

It is also nice to note on your own and other topics I am following that mojo's can be lost for modelling on an occasional basis. I've experienced this as well. 

My railway and stock have been crated/ boxed up since we moved home last September. This is pending work on the new (old) house to be completed by electricians/ builders etc who have the necessary skills/ certification. Plus the inevitable diversion of my own time on DIY things I can do to get the new (old) house the way we want it.

However, "enforced" abstinence means that I have been able to think through a lot more on what I want to achieve in the larger space I am now fortunate to have available. So my modelling mojo is currently bursting to get on with it.

After the current electrical work is completed, boards will start going up again within the next few weeks . . .  . .

Thanks again for the inspiration/ facts / demos.

John 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6