• RMweb Gold

There has been some mention (elsewhere) recently of spares boxes. I'm all for the "me too" aspect of modern life, so I had a look for mine. Spares box, that is, not life.

There was a pile of Ratio Concrete Fence Panels in there , so I decided to use them in the diorama. Because the base of the scene is extruded polystyrene it is easy to 'plant' things, so when it comes to removing stuff from a sprue, I leave as much of the 'tag' as I can still attached to the component. You can see what I mean here.

P1040388.JPG.236da47cd4687686cf19e69172a28e65.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, outside the modelling area, work continues on the preparations for a new shed. All of the old slabs have been relaid about 4" lower than they were previously. This was to compensate for the larger area required as a base for the replacement. The ground slopes downwards from right to left on this area, so I wanted to avoid building up the previously waste area to the left. All that is left to do (!) is to lay all the new slabs. Rain stopped play today (thankfully) so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

P1040393.JPG.7253e5b7bbdf9ed0967731b4708dbfd1.JPG

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Add the photograph!
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

There has been some mention (elsewhere) recently of spares boxes. I'm all for the "me too" aspect of modern life, so I had a look for mine. Spares box, that is, not life.

There was a pile of Ratio Concrete Fence Panels in there , so I decided to use them in the diorama. Because the base of the scene is extruded polystyrene it is easy to 'plant' things, so when it comes to removing stuff from a sprue, I leave as much of the 'tag' as I can still attached to the component. You can see what I mean here.

P1040388.JPG.236da47cd4687686cf19e69172a28e65.JPG

You're going to need a bigger landrover...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Using a screwdriver to make holes for the panel tabs and a cocktail stick to make holes for the post tabs, a fairly surdy fence can be erected in no time at all. Well, half an hour, anyway.

P1040399.JPG.c517354e03e45baf05cdaec2417051a0.JPG

P1040398.JPG.59f037dc5cc36f6a0f2de283a4915eab.JPG

The posts and panels were glued together, as they were installed, using good old Mek-Pak. The emphasis being on the word, "Old", because I've had that bottle for at least 20 years. I don't make many plastic kits.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Not wanting to risk overcrowding this scene, I keep checking the balance from all angles, and thinking about whether to have piles of rubbish or piles of stored stuff. I still haven't made a decision, but am now leaning towards a bit of both.

I used to abhor indecision, but now I'm having second thoughts.

P1040400_Cropped.JPG.677f89a06552b8323bdfe361e317adf0.JPG

P1040406_Cropped.JPG.4cae1ec90afa3c6ffcd37899bb815281.JPG

The fencing has had a layer of matt varnish applied (Testor's Dullcote) and will now be dirtied using pigments. I have found a photograph by https://www.47soton.co.uk/search?q=seaton  that shows some old concrete panel fencing and will use that as a guide for colours and texture.

• Like 11

I remember the Corgi Juniors metallic purple Landrover with tinted glass.

It took the makers of the real thing thirty years to catch up!

s-l300(2).jpg.d4041da51b79b0ffd1e2b9db42c94219.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's the base in place, now just waiting for the shed to go on it.

What's this got to do with Easton? Once it's all in place, I'll have somewhere to store stuff that gets in the way in the railway room/workshop. Unless it's claimed for something else in the meantime. :rolleyes:

P1040407.JPG.a896b469a154e87c307223e611cfa1c7.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2021 at 21:15, Mick Bonwick said:

That's the base in place, now just waiting for the shed to go on it.

What's this got to do with Easton? Once it's all in place, I'll have somewhere to store stuff that gets in the way in the railway room/workshop. Unless it's claimed for something else in the meantime. :rolleyes:

P1040407.JPG.a896b469a154e87c307223e611cfa1c7.JPG

Claimed for something else, you say? :whistle:

image.png.15e4abbdf12ce4f991fa25d1f3f30903.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Claimed for something else, you say? :whistle:

I'm having enough trouble making the right sort of progress with Easton, without the distraction of Big Stuff. I was thinking more in terms of gardening tools than garden railway.

That doesn't mean I don't like your thinking, though. :good:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was out for a walk earlier, and heard a rather familiar sound coming from the waste ground near the old goods shed. I made my way through the undergrowth and found that something had been left in the siding . . . . . . . . .

1486728586_O2DeliversRedTractor.jpg.26acb2bb3f4cac07f270f9b82d83b58a.jpg

I wonder where it came from.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

So we're doing tractors now? :)

That's looking very atmospheric already.  Incidentally I saw the thread below and thought the painting and weathering might be of interest. There's even a Landy!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/164874-hoo-ness-railway/page/3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps, just perhaps, the Little Red Tractor has gone to the………..

wait for it………

wait…

The land of Easton promise

Where tractors feel at home and Land Rover’s roam in the wilds!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

So we're doing tractors now?

How many are we aiming for? :P

IMG_3293_Cropped.JPG.8ce3606e3fe8dfa2ef846ab6eda33abd.JPG

IMG_3032_Cropped-001.JPG.a8a8fecf4d54e80ac06376149f12dbd7.JPG

IMG_2471_Cropped_edited-1.jpg.c51d0c45572e149f4f3c342b654bd2cc.jpg

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That's looking very atmospheric already.  Incidentally I saw the thread below and thought the painting and weathering might be of interest. There's even a Landy!

Many thanks for finding this and pointing me at it. I grew up in that area and, at the time, was totally unaware of the existence of the island. Probably because from the shoreline on the Gillingham side it was not apparent to a small child that it was not the far side of the river.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1