• RMweb Gold

This will be of little interest to most people who read this topic, but I have just spent the most pleasant evening with friends and fellow members of NORMAL (North Oxfordshire Railway Modellers ALliance) sitting outside in my garden, talking about just anything that came to mind. The first time we had been able to do that in person for well over a year. Absolutely fabulous.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Replacing O with I to avoid embarrassment.
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2020 at 09:55, Mick Bonwick said:

By way of response to a couple of offline enquiries, I thought I'd explain why and how I alter Peco points for use on Easton.

(snip)

Once all the droppers have been attached, this is what we have:

P1010016.JPG.c6d8a961116a1e56836601ef3a2cb6be.JPG

Can I ask why you didn't use the stock rail bonding wire as the dropper wire as well ?

I know you fit it as one wire across all 4 rails and then snip the unwanted ends and middle, but is there a reason you didn't use black/red wires and only join the two rails each side ?

I am about to start to modify 'my' ( ;) ) points and need clarification I'm not going to c*ck things up.  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Can I ask why you didn't use the stock rail bonding wire as the dropper wire as well ?

I know you fit it as one wire across all 4 rails and then snip the unwanted ends and middle, but is there a reason you didn't use black/red wires and only join the two rails each side ?

I am about to start to modify 'my' ( ;) ) points and need clarification I'm not going to c*ck things up.  

It's quite simple, really. I didn't think of it!

It would be 2 fewer holes to drill, certainly.

The two wires soldered to the blades are to remove the dependency on the pivot arrangement to pass current to the blades. I have known that joint to get bunged up with stuff. Technical jargon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It's quite simple, really. I didn't think of it!

It would be 2 fewer holes to drill, certainly.

The two wires soldered to the blades are to remove the dependency on the pivot arrangement to pass current to the blades. I have known that joint to get bunged up with stuff. Technical jargon.

I'm guessing the wires don't impede the movement of the blades, as the wires are soldered so near to the hinges.

Do you cover the wire holes to stop ballast falling down ?  (Brown tape / masking tape / etc).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I'm guessing the wires don't impede the movement of the blades, as the wires are soldered so near to the hinges.

You guessed correctly. In that position there's hardly any movement at all.

35 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Do you cover the wire holes to stop ballast falling down ?  (Brown tape / masking tape / etc).

Although the drilled holes are (slightly) larger than the wire diameter I have found that the ballast is not too adventurous and stays put. There's no reason why you shouldn't use protection, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Pete the pipe?

If Pete the Pipe picked a piece of lead piping, Where's the piece of lead piping Pete the Pipe picked?

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Presumably, the problem presented to Pete the pipe by picking up pieces of piping is that Pete the pipe will probably be prosecuted. People are predominantly pretty protective about their pieces of piping getting picked. 

Edited by NHY 581
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

To add, 

Pete the Pipe pre-plans and purposely prepares  his pipe picking to prevent p!ss poor pipe picking performance, precisely precluding potentially perfect and personally problematic prosecution. 

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Pete the Pipe prepares his points with potentially promising proprietary products. Proprietary products are particularly purchased for the point planting predicament.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Too late! I think they've all been used...

Al.

Preferential to propound polarity. 

• Funny 4