• RMweb Gold

I assisted in a very small way with local research, if someone within local range of Portland does take it on then in line with my comments earlier in the thread I would be happy to join a support team for it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Has the size been mentioned scrolled back a bit to see couldn’t see it?

It might have been in the distant past but I regret that it hasn't been recently!

I am getting images and accurate measurements and will post them here as soon as I have them.

Tony

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the delay but here are some images, plus the dimensions:

SJP20220515_17313403220515.jpg.1d21869142e1e84db89065611ab7f128.jpg

The Fiddle Yard

SJP20220515_17315205220515.jpg.1bfda7604415f29a3ea2a5258759d138.jpg

Fiddle Yard opposite view

SJP20220515_17312602220515.jpg.d05b5a00774477fae0cf1b7f41fb748c.jpg

The scinc side, such as it is

SJP20220515_17314604220515.jpg.3811d501fdd1ba8a90d2e4b82a3a25f0.jpg

Scenic side, opposite view, showing door and lifting section as below.

The layout measures 8.0m x 2.8m and the boards are .610m wide, there is a diagonal single track lifting section at one end.

The Baseboard is a composite of plywood and Sundela board and will need to be removed from the frame which is attached to the workshop.

There is no provision for separating the track at the board joints, it would have to be cut.

All points have either Cobalt or Seep motors attached; the layout is wired for DCC.

Some volunteer help with dismantling would be available to anyone taking the layout.

As before, please PM me with any interest.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Excellent Tony, sorry unfortunately I wasn’t a follower of the thread before dooms day,  so had no idea on the size it actually is! Pretty big by my terms!

Now if the workshop was available too! 😉 be a railway modellers dream wouldn’t it.

Hope it finds a deserving home. It the start of something that would be mighty fine I feel.

Edited by AdeMoore
Word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well chaps (other genders are available), I'm afraid the layout has reached the end of the line, in that Mick's widow now wants the shed cleared and despite the layout or its component parts being offered free of charge to a good home, there have been no takers.

I'll give it a final seven days but unless anyone wants to PM me to express a real interest I'm afraid dismantling will start.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Well chaps (other genders are available), I'm afraid the layout has reached the end of the line, in that Mick's widow now wants the shed cleared and despite the layout or its component parts being offered free of charge to a good home, there have been no takers.

I'll give it a final seven days but unless anyone wants to PM me to express a real interest I'm afraid dismantling will start.

Tony

Sad but inevitable I think.

Example - for my garage, even if I cleared it out of the current contents to take Easton, at 26.25 ft long and over 9ft wide it is about 10 feet longer and 2 feet wider than the space available. I suspect many of us are the same, Mick was lucky to have that size workshop available.

Edited by john new
Added the example note.
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/07/2022 at 07:38, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Hi Tony,

Well done in your efforts with Easton, and I do hope some of it can be saved if only for component reuse on another layout.

Unfortunately, there is a real but but perhaps unpalatable lesson for us all here:-

I realise that none of us likes to think about what might happen when we are no longer here, but it really is incumbent on us to plan our layouts in such a way that they are not a burden on our loved ones in the future.

In the case of Easton, might someone be interested in that superb fiddle yard?  Could it be taken out as a unit and perhaps reused in another situation, even if a section had to be cut out of the middle to suit a shorter layout? 

I think sadly, that the "scenic" sections are going to have to be scrapped, but hopefully all the point motors on this area can be saved?

Best regards

Paul. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Tony,

Well done in your efforts with Easton, and I do hope some of it can be saved if only for component reuse on another layout.

Unfortunately, there is a real but but perhaps unpalatable lesson for us all here:-

I realise that none of us likes to think about what might happen when we are no longer here, but it really is incumbent on us to plan our layouts in such a way that they are not a burden on our loved ones in the future.

In the case of Easton, might someone be interested in that superb fiddle yard?  Could it be taken out as a unit and perhaps reused in another situation, even if a section had to be cut out of the middle to suit a shorter layout? 

I think sadly, that the "scenic" sections are going to have to be scrapped, but hopefully all the point motors on this area can be saved?

Best regards

Paul. 

I worked very closely with Mick on Missenden as part of the "management" and was taking over as a weathering tutor even before his unexpected departure. (I was very fortunate to spend most of Wednesday with him discussing the transition before he was admitted to hospital at the weekend) This (including the burden that has fallen on his widow) has really shaken me up and and I am seriously questioning my stash of both projects to do and layouts to show..I've seriously downsized in the last year and sold one layout....no regrets...

Tony - my best wishes in your endeavours with Easton - I also know others who have being doing hard work with his "stash"....

Chris Hopper

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

13 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Tony - my best wishes in your endeavours with Easton - I also know others who have being doing hard work with his "stash"....

Thanks both - and Chris you are right, a number of people have been involved in dealing with what Mick left behind, and I am just the 'RMWeb spokesman'.

All options remain open in terms of disposal of the layout itself from re-use of the fiddle yard, down to simple component recovery - but as I have said, time is sadly now running out and so I urge anyone who is interested to make contact, otherwise a large part of it will of necessity, simply end up in the bin.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 7