• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Do you have a beat and sweep version?

There's no need to blind me with science.

I have done a lot of vacuuming recently, picking up sawdust, stripped wire ends and my and other people's shoe droppings, so that may well have contributed to the problem. I'm sure it will all go away if I ignore it completely.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Less than half a crown, actually. Do get it right!

I did remember that ( its an age thing ) but thought it would match the advertisement !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2020 at 14:07, Mick Bonwick said:

I have done a lot of vacuuming recently, picking up sawdust, stripped wire ends and my and other people's shoe droppings, so that may well have contributed to the problem. I'm sure it will all go away if I ignore it completely.

Not just recently, and you have proved to be quite proficient in the past.IMG_1999.jpeg.93d1299c6e37c1f824c31de4f6bbb07a.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nickwood said:

Not just recently, and you have proved to be quite proficient in the past.IMG_1999.jpeg.93d1299c6e37c1f824c31de4f6bbb07a.jpeg

What's that you're holding? 

• Funny 1

Can I just check? Am I in the correct forum, this seems to be the "It beats as it sweeps as it cleans home page"?

Did Easton collapse under the carpet dust, or was it eaten  by carpet mites?

• RMweb Gold

****Modelling Alert ****

Mick, do you have a tip for the removal  of oil deposits on a loco body prior to weathering?

I have heard IPA is good but would welcome your thoughts on it.

Rob

Edited by NHY 581

44 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

****Modelling Alert ****

Mick, do you have a tip for the removal  of oil deposits on a loco body prior to weathering?

Rob

Rob, if I may, I have used it without any ill affect used sparingly with a cotton bud.

G

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

****Modelling Alert ****

Rob

****Modelling Response****

I have a sheet of information on this very subject, and it is attached below for your consumption.

The best place to start is the chassis and mechanism, because that's where the problem originates. As soon as the armature starts to rotate, any excess grease is thrown around with gay abandon. Wherever it lands it turns to oil and seeps wherever it can. If you do any weathering at all, that simply increases the opportunity for capillary action to take the oil even further. The effects can be seen even on factory weathered models.

My approach is to remove every single drop of visible grease from the mechanical bits using a toothpick/cocktail stick, and then wipe away as much of the residue as I can see using paper towels. There will still be enough lubricant on the gears to keep them running for some considerable time, and your servicing routine will ensure they don't dry out!

Using isopropyl alcohol (IPA) through an airbrush is the quickest way of removing the invisible film on the inside of the bodywork, but if you don't have one, then applying it with a stiff-ish brush and wiping the residue away immediately will also do the job. Don't apply too much at atime or you will end up with a white bloom on everything that is just as difficult to remove as the original oily layer. You will see the IPA seeping through any bodywork joins as well, so keep an eye on the outside while you do the inside. I have used layers of thin masking tape over the interior bodywork joins to limit future egress, but I'm not sure if that is worth doing and I have no evidence of its effectiveness.

Bear in mind that if you don't do anything about excess grease and oil before you start, you will soon find out why it's a good idea.

Bachmann Tidemark Warning.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4