• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Chris.

I can't claim to have done very well at the start. There have been a lot of reprints along the way! :rolleyes:

The key thing for me is to study how it all goes together well before starting, and then to measure, measure, measure before using any glue.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Thats a bit harsh, I was doing my best :fie:

Never mind Tony,

We love a bit of fun - really!

My take on card buildings is that they are best used in the background  with more detailed items in the foreground. Having said that, sometimes the right item is only available in card and its better to adapt card items than starting butchering resin ones.

Take care All

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

My take on card buildings is that they are best used in the background  with more detailed items in the foreground.

If you think that these are going into the background after all the work I've put into them, you've got another think coming, sunshine!

On the other hand . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

15 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

If you think that these are going into the background after all the work I've put into them, you've got another think coming, sunshine!

On the other hand . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sorry Mick,

My comment was aimed at card buildings in general, not your specific ones, which I agree are best of breed!

On the other hand............... Just trying to think of a location that needs 4 small sheds in the foreground? -But maybe this just shows up my limited knowledge of the Portland area? 

I'm not planning on any card buildings in the near future except maybe one (or two?) on a scenic test piece I am planning to spend some Tier 3 time on next week.

I'll put it up here when it's finished (maybe in the new year?- because like Mick, I will have to have a number of goes at it before I am satisfied), and then everyone can have their own back on me.

Take care, keep safe, 

Regards

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

My take on card buildings is that they are best used in the background  with more detailed items in the foreground. Having said that, sometimes the right item is only available in card and its better to adapt card items than starting butchering resin ones.

What stops any modeller detailing card buildings in the same was as those built in any other medium? Well made, detailed and weathered card buildings, kits or scratch builds can stand comparison with anything made of plastic, resin or any other material you can think of and be just as robust. Madder Valley would still not exist if this were not so and I would challenge anyone to produce buildings to Pendon standards in any other material. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, nickwood said:

What stops any modeller detailing card buildings in the same was as those built in any other medium? Well made, detailed and weathered card buildings, kits or scratch builds can stand comparison with anything made of plastic, resin or any other material you can think of and be just as robust. Madder Valley would still not exist if this were not so and I would challenge anyone to produce buildings to Pendon standards in any other material. 

Agreed.

However, many modelers have many calls on their modelling time and I would suggest that spending a long time fiddling around with small details on a cardboard structure may not, unless their budget is very tight, be either their first priority, or an aspect of modeling that they love doing?

Build a wagon or add details to a card structure, which would you prefer?

Cheers

Paul 

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

.... snip ...

Build a wagon or add details to a card structure, which would you prefer?

Cheers

Paul 

Either depending on my mood, I will even tackle basic brass and tinplate work but could not envisage tackling anything with complex valve gear and the mass of fiddly bits that come with most etched kits. There is a barrier to get through, I am not yet ready to try and overcome partly due to cost. 

I think where card kits have got their bad reputation from is because they are a beginners medium and beginners, being kind, often haven't the right eye for blending the right kits to make a scene convincing. Getting the 'look' right is not down to the medium the model is made from but to paraphrase someone's strap line on here 'right bricks, right design style, right location'. Pendon is the ultimate got it right. How often do we see layouts with, as an example, the Walthers factory, and it just screams American if you have an eye that notices that sort of thing. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Easton will have card buildings.

Easton will have brass and nickel-silver kit-built rolling stock.

Easton has got ready-to-run locomotives.

Easton will have plastic kits.

Easton has got wooden baseboards.

Easton has been inspired by people who created Pendon Museum's exhibits.

Easton is progressing because of skills learned at Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers' events.

Easton is.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Easton will have card buildings.

Easton will have brass and nickel-silver kit-built rolling stock.

Easton has got ready-to-run locomotives.

Easton will have plastic kits.

Easton has got wooden baseboards.

Easton has been inspired by people who created Pendon Museum's exhibits.

Easton is progressing because of skills learned at Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers' events.

Easton is.

Easton is ‘finished’?

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, KNP said:

Easton is ‘finished’?

Kevin,

I think it is a daring modeler who says his layout is finished!

I'm sure you will agree (engine shed door?), and I'm sure Mick is the same, that you can only say a layout is finished "for now"?

Keep going and keep inspiring us beginners guys!

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Despite sore fingers and thumbs from building card huts, there's more card building to come. Recent observations on the suitability of card for modelling have prompted me to take things a little further than I had originally planned.

I have discovered that X-Acto no longer export to the UK, by trying to find some #2 blades for my favourite knife and failing dismally. I have had to resort to my other knife, that uses #11 blades, and is not as robust. The 2mm greyboard has had to be cut with a Stanley knife!

I have spent today cutting and gluing.

I still have sore fingers and thumbs.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Despite sore fingers and thumbs from building card huts, there's more card building to come. Recent observations on the suitability of card for modelling have prompted me to take things a little further than I had originally planned.

I have discovered that X-Acto no longer export to the UK, by trying to find some #2 blades for my favourite knife and failing dismally. I have had to resort to my other knife, that uses #11 blades, and is not as robust. The 2mm greyboard has had to be cut with a Stanley knife!

I have spent today cutting and gluing.

I still have sore fingers and thumbs.

I am reliably informed that a laser cutter is what you need.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, nickwood said:

I am reliably informed that a laser cutter is what you need.

More like a band aid. 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

All fingers and thumbs............I see. 

18 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

More like a band aid. 

Do they know it's Christmas?

Edited by ian
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Just managing to squeeze a photograph on to this page.

P1020774.JPG.15c4ab868d6672a114b3d7a535e61ba5.JPG

There is a row of cottages, that is at right angles to the station throat, called Bloomfield Terrace, and it is my intention to represent those buildings on the model of Easton. There will not be a scratchbuilt stone-by-stone model, but the Scalescenes kit might be good enough. We'll see when it's nearer completion.

Note that I didn't say, "When it's finished".

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Just managing to squeeze a photograph on to this page.

P1020774.JPG.15c4ab868d6672a114b3d7a535e61ba5.JPG

There is a row of cottages, that is at right angles to the station throat, called Bloomfield Terrace, and it is my intention to represent those buildings on the model of Easton. There will not be a scratchbuilt stone-by-stone model, but the Scalescenes kit might be good enough. We'll see when it's nearer completion.

Note that I didn't say, "When it's finished".

Bloomfield Terrace complete with footbridge access over the lines.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1