20 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Trying all these things on a test section does at least mean that I get all the mistakes out of the way before working on the layout proper. Does anybody else find it necessary to work in this way?

Hi Mick,

Its something I definitely condone prior to make a mess of something that's probably been in the planning stage for goodness knows how long !

Apart from the obvious expensive of all the major products being used for a proposal I have always tried as many methods as can before being satisfied much as you have been doing. Some may wonder when it will all be done and trains etc operating but until I am satisfied it ain't gonna happen !

Whether others consider what I do to be of a good standard....well I leave that to be judged but as long as we are satisfied with what we do then I will always experiment prior to making a final commitment.

( Blimey did I just say all that ? Time for as cup of tea and a sit down !!! )

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, bgman said:

Hi Mick,

Its something I definitely condone prior to make a mess of something that's probably been in the planning stage for goodness knows how long !

Apart from the obvious expensive of all the major products being used for a proposal I have always tried as many methods as can before being satisfied much as you have been doing. Some may wonder when it will all be done and trains etc operating but until I am satisfied it ain't gonna happen !

Whether others consider what I do to be of a good standard....well I leave that to be judged but as long as we are satisfied with what we do then I will always experiment prior to making a final commitment.

Hi Grahame,

It's nice to know I'm in good company. Most of the modelling I have done right from the day I started has been practised first, before committing to anything further. I have a good collection of test pieces that will never see the light of day again!

I sometimes wonder how many of the names I see as 'followers' at the top of each topic page are still bothering to read what I post. No, not 'bothering', that's not the right word. Maybe I should have written something along the lines of 'still finding it interesting.'

47 minutes ago, bgman said:

( Blimey did I just say all that ? Time for as cup of tea and a sit down !!! )

Are you claiming to have written all that standing up? :o

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I have now learnt, through a process of elimination that a test piece is the way forward........

And rest assured Mick, your posts are interesting.

Rob. 

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I sometimes wonder how many of the names I see as 'followers' at the top of each topic page are still bothering to read what I post. No, not 'bothering'

Rest assured when I tick a thread to follow I do it for many reasons but more specifically in your case, it's an area I have a great fondness hence being here :locomotive:

Plus my mother happens to be a Dorset maid so there is also another link too.

47 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Are you claiming to have written all that standing up?

Of course I am, I always stand to attention whilst making a point, or for that matter ballasting !!! :lol:

Edited by bgman
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It's a shame that the depicted locomotive is not a Southern one, though. :biggrin_mini2:

Some might think that it enhances the scene . . .

:-)

Paul.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Of course I am, I always stand to attention whilst making a point, or for that matter ballasting !!! :lol:

Love it!

I haven't made any points for Easton yet. They're all Peco code 75. :P

I haven't tried ballasting a point yet, either.:no:

I have stood to attention a lot, mind you. 26 years in the Army saw to that. :hunter:

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Trying all these things on a test section does at least mean that I get all the mistakes out of the way before working on the layout proper. Does anybody else find it necessary to work in this way?

Mick

You have commented previously on my work rate, and as you may have suspected, I am not really one to do lots of test builds - HOWEVER - there is a down side to that, in so far as when I screw things up it tends to be difficult and / or expensive to correct! :o

So each to his own, and as to whether your posts are interesting, well I suffer from the same insecurities but from my perspective your just generate admiration for the painstaking work that you undertake to get things right!

I wish I had the patience! :banghead:

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Mick

You have commented previously on my work rate, and as you may have suspected, I am not really one to do lots of test builds - HOWEVER - there is a down side to that, in so far as when I screw things up it tends to be difficult and / or expensive to correct! :o

So each to his own, and as to whether your posts are interesting, well I suffer from the same insecurities but from my perspective your just generate admiration for the painstaking work that you undertake to get things right!

I wish I had the patience! :banghead:

Tony

I’d echo that...I’d echo that.....I’d echo that........I’d echo that................I’d echo that.........................

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all your kind comments and observations. I find it most encouraging when somebody writes something in response, even if it's only a funny comment. :biggrin_mini2:

I had some time in the workshop this afternoon, but only managed to glue down the ballast that had not stuck properly the last time. The PVA/water mix was much thicker this time, so the ballast should stay in place. The rest of the time was spent on the 1/4 scale model of Pindale Road Cement, trying to work out how to replicate the end supports of the Tim Horn baseboards. That's another story.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd better do a comparison between my reference photograph and the test piece, just to be sure that I'd got as close as I could with my choice of colours. I'm now happy that I can proceed with the track proper.

P1020898.JPG.fe0c2b45c44768cf951c30b516b9842d.JPG

All I've got to do is uncover it.

P1020878_Cropped.jpg.7f26ab79100dddf9b5e5db7732450ac6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Washes and pigments is the plan, Kevin. 

Is that like smoke and mirrors ? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Does the national grid dip in supply when you switch all those lamps on!!!

I do believe Mick has a secret supply hooked up !

BikeGenerator.jpg.c5e2f1b76d895361107633a86088e362.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

I do believe Mick has a secret supply hooked up !

BikeGenerator.jpg.c5e2f1b76d895361107633a86088e362.jpg

Oi! On your bike.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

All I've got to do is uncover it.

P1020878_Cropped.jpg.7f26ab79100dddf9b5e5db7732450ac6.jpg

I hesitate to mention this but I think there may be a small elephant under your workbench, who is using his trunk to steal things from the top of your spray booth - tread carefully!:wacko:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

I hesitate to mention this but I think there may be a small elephant under your workbench, who is using his trunk to steal things from the top of your spray booth - tread carefully!:wacko:

With a trunk that size, it must be a large elephant in a pit under the shed. :-)

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

A step forward. I have found my mask (not an easy job) for using while I'm airbrushing the track.

Not a step forward. The filters are 2 years out of date.

P1020903_Cropped.jpg.cca16fbf8fac13c70c40c5078ca036f9.jpg

Maybe I should offer it to the elephant to wear.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

A step forward. I have found my mask (not an easy job) for using while I'm airbrushing the track.

Not a step forward. The filters are 2 years out of date.

P1020903_Cropped.jpg.cca16fbf8fac13c70c40c5078ca036f9.jpg

Maybe I should offer it to the elephant to wear.

Not a subject to be sniffed at ! :lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Excuse my ignorance, what is in a filter that will go out of date? Why I ask is that I have a mask with filters which are out of date too, so I'm interested to know

These filters have a carbon element (for absorbing solvent fumes) that has a defined 'shelf life.'

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1