• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I use Anita's Tacky Glue, which works in just a few minutes.

That's very kind of her to let you use it. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

She probably doesn't know!

Probably wondering where it's all going....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Just don't use at the same time as eating philly cheese sandwiches...

Can't beat a bit of experiential learning.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't know Anita

Thoroughly decent lady. She and husband Richard decamped from Sussex to France, where they now own a couple of farms of 400 acres each, plus a rather nice chateau B&B, which tends to get better than 9 out of 10 on Trip Advisor. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Thoroughly decent lady. She and husband Richard decamped from Sussex to France, where they now own a couple of farms of 400 acres each, plus a rather nice chateau B&B, which tends to get better than 9 out of 10 on Trip Advisor. 

And all from making glue.  Who'd a thunk it?

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

That reminds me of a teacher that I used to know. 

She and her husband (also a teacher) still used to moan that teacher's wages were a pittance...:D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of teachers, and hence schools, Deb was introduced to Anita soon after our horses came over in 2005. Anita also has a couple of pones, so the girls went out riding together. Conversation moved to "whereabouts in the UK" stuff, as it does among expats, and they discovered they'd both been to the same school in W Sussex! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Talking of schools, and hence universities, I didn't go to one.

Me neither.

Eldest sister went, did Economics, owned her own shops and cafe, retired at 55, now enjoying life.

I didn't even get A levels, worked for other people/companies, still working at 57.

Oh....

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think that @Olddduddersanecdote is more to do with six degrees of separation than the academic kind. Such as my parents going on holiday to Austria in the late 90s and my father bumping into someone who he had done his national service with forty years earlier.

I wouldn't worry about whether or not you have been to university, I have and I'm still poor! It's not just what you know, it's also how good you are with office politics and your ability to suffer fools (however well educated) and smile at passive aggressive little thunder stealers rather than punch them. :D

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that @Olddduddersanecdote is more to do with six degrees of separation than the academic kind. Such as my parents going on holiday to Austria in the late 90s and my father bumping into someone who he had done his national service with forty years earlier.

Best example I know of this: euphonium player in the brass band I grew up with was a half decent singer, and used to perform vocal selections with the band as his accompaniment. This was a small, local band, doing local concerts and not a 'superstar' band like Brighouse & Rastrick or Black Dyke! Anyway, he has griwn up children, one of whom married an Australian sheep farmer so one year he gies to visit her. Flies from London to Sydney via Singapore, transfers to another plane to fly to the general region where his daughter lives, then onto an even smaller, prop-driven plane for the final part of the journey into the middle of nowhere. After it lands, one of the other passengers leans over to him, smiles, and says, in a heavy Australian accent, "You're Harold Heald, ain't ya? I saw you sing with Blackley Band when I was youngster. My mum thinks you're a great singer, mate!"

What are the actual chances?! :o

Getting back on topic, I have now read all of the Easton thread @Mick Bonwick and a thoroughly enjoyable, informative and instructional read it has been. Am now thinking I should curb my shunting engine purchasing addiction and instead invest in a static grassmaster machine - I don't think the yellow plastic puff bottle I got with the starter set is going to help get as good results as you have shown!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2021 at 10:02, Mick Bonwick said:

There might be a tractor on Easton, brand new, just delivered and still partially covered with a tarpaulin. All I've got to do is remember where it was safely stored.

IMG_2471_Cropped_edited-1.jpg.f3cc7c35d727272aad00c6a877a74f57.jpg

I know a bloke who does weathering, if that needs doing.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Getting back on topic, I have now read all of the Easton thread @Mick Bonwick and a thoroughly enjoyable, informative and instructional read it has been. Am now thinking I should curb my shunting engine purchasing addiction and instead invest in a static grassmaster machine - I don't think the yellow plastic puff bottle I got with the starter set is going to help get as good results as you have shown!

Thank you, Steve, I'm pleased that you have enjoyed it so far. You deserve a reward for endurance. :)

The small puffer botles work well with short fibres in small areas, but for larger areas it is much more convenient to have an electrical applicator. If you are inclined to collect things, there are many manufacturers, lengths and colours of static grass on the market . . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Talking of schools, and hence universities, I didn't go to one.

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Me neither.

I did, but got ejected after year 1 as I hadn't done any work!

Didn't seem to do my subsequent careers any harm.....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I think he may have already been!

IMG_8781_Cropped.JPG.62d3c35096a294735d1c751d818195b8.JPG

I ticked 'Like' for this, but on closer inspection it's much better than that.

The mud on the rear tyre, but clean & shiney treads, the missing paint on the wheel and the mud on the hub. The seat all worn, the general dirt around the nose casing - it's all skillfully observed and executed. 

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I ticked 'Like' for this, but on closer inspection it's much better than that.

The mud on the rear tyre, but clean & shiney treads, the missing paint on the wheel and the mud on the hub. The seat all worn, the general dirt around the nose casing - it's all skillfully observed and executed. 

I ticked like for this, but on careful reading the comment is much better than that. A perfect critique in fact.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

The more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the old nails we used to try and squeeze another season out of thirty odd years ago. Judging by the rear wheel hubs, the half shaft oil seals are shot. They always were, not a five minute fix, so they rarely got fixed. The gearbox oil will have more in common with chocolate milkshake.

It's so very convincing, the weathering makes it look forty years old.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1