Multiple edits, timeouts, page lock up, frustration

Multiple edits, timeouts, page lock up, frustration  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone else see the page freeze when saving a post after multiple edits?

• Yes
    • No

I try to proof read my posts before I submit them. Inevitably however, I find errors right after I post. This leads to edits, and sometimes multiple edits.

I am seeing behaviour where the website appears to 'lock up' after a second or third edit within a few minutes.

While the page shows a greyed-out "SAVING" I can often open a new web page and see my edits are already there, but interactive control is never passed to the original page.

Often the original page will pop up the following message:

nolongeredited.PNG.32861cae08183cd113c9bc05148c7f63.PNG 

This is within 15 minutes of the the post being first saved.

Is this normal?

Is there something in the gubbins of the forum that cannot handle multiple edits in a short period?

When the site is busy and timing out, this behaviour seems understandable, but when it is reliably "up" it doesn't make sense.

EDIT:

I'm also seeing a 524 timeout with the voting button.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added observation on voting timeout
  • Agree 1

I'm fairly sure it's not meant to be normal, but I get the greyed out "saving" spinning it wheels quite often.

Earlier today that caused me to triplicate a reply to a post and then revisit it and hide the unnecessary 2!

John P

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is there something in the gubbins of the forum that cannot handle multiple edits in a short period?

Probably. Once a 'save' command is sent to the server, either in edit or initial post mode, you have to wait until you see confirmation of that command appearing in a posted message or an edited one. Trying to do anything else before seeing that confirmation is tempting fate with this software.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not seeing that specific problem but the site has been generaly slow for me for the past few days and posting a reply often results in the "Saving..." message being on screen for a long time. In that case I do something else until the post appears in the thread.

Edit: I think it's the same general slow down that has previously been reported in the "grindingly slow" thread.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1