Farish class 24 370-060 CV list?

rogerzilla

I bought this split from a set - it was factory DCC fitted.  Works perfectly well but I have no instructions and no CV list.  CV5 (Vhi) doesn't do anything to limit max speed (I can change CV3 and CV4 ok) and if there's a brake function, I can't find it.  Any ideas?

It was made circa 2011 so may be more limited than current decoders.

36 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

I bought this split from a set - it was factory DCC fitted.  Works perfectly well but I have no instructions and no CV list.  CV5 (Vhi) doesn't do anything to limit max speed (I can change CV3 and CV4 ok) and if there's a brake function, I can't find it.  Any ideas?

Hi,

I don't know much about N gauge DCC decoders but if you are lucky you may have a Bachmann 36-558.

That one didn't have a CV for max voltage but did have 16 speed curves and may have had a multiplier for the speed curves.

So in theory you could set a CV to select say a straight line as the speed curve and then set another CV to set the multiplier to give the top speed you want.

If someone on RMWeb has the instructions for a 36-558 they could post that might be helpful.

I will look to see if I can get clues elsewhere - it may be a rebadged Soundtraxx decoder so an early Soundtraxx instruction sheet that mentions speed curves (as opposed to programmable speed tables) might be helpful.

Regards

Nick

48 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Hi,

I've found some CV values to try based on a Soundtraxx manual.

Try setting CV 25 to 2 (to try and select a straight line as a preset speed curve).

Decide what top speed you want as a percentage.

Divide that by 1.28 and make into a whole number (integer).

Set that number into CV 68 and CV 95 (those two CVs may be the forward and reverse trim - multipliers for the speed curve/tables).

Set bit 4 of CV 29 to 1 to enable speed table use.

Regards

Nick

Hi Rogerzilla,

I should have written CV 66 not CV 68.

If you have a JMRI compatible DCC system you could download JMRI, start Decoder Pro, put your loco on the programming track, select Soundtraxx and MC1Z102P6 and then use the 

Decoder Pro speed table tab  to try and  set up the linear speed curve and trim multipliers.

Regards

Nick

Thanks for the replies.  Right, manufacturer id is 141.  It's a sufficiently old design of decoder that it can only be read on the programming track.

Nick - that all worked, thanks, and the maximum speed is now more sensible.

Any idea if there is a brake function available?

16 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Thanks for the replies.  Right, manufacturer id is 141.  It's a sufficiently old design of decoder that it can only be read on the programming track.

Nick - that all worked, thanks, and the maximum speed is now more sensible.

Any idea if there is a brake function available?

Hi,

I'm glad that guess worked.

As to brake function its worth trying setting up a brake function as per the Soundtraxx MC1 DCC decoder series manual.

The MC1 default is the brake key on F11, try values of 129 through 255 in CV 61 (the F11 brake rate).

The publication date of the MC1 Manual on the Soundtraxx website is 2011 so the chances of the decoder in your loco having the brake function is uncertain, the decoder may be a predecessor of the MC1 series.

Worth a try though.

Regards

Nick

Thanks.  I've downloaded the MC1 manual so I'll see if I can enable a brake.  Irritatingly, the lowest function key it can be assigned to is F7 when all my other locos have it on F2 (Zimo/Bachmann current default).  Still, the loco was very cheap considering it was unused, boxed and factory DCC fitted, so I mustn't complain!

• 2 weeks later...

Got it all working nicely now, thanks.  I set CV61 to 210 and allocated the brake function to F7 (current Bachmann decoders have it on F2, but this isn't possible with the Farish/Soundtraxx chip - at least F7 avoids the need to use shift as otherwise it's on F11) by changing other CVs.

So...if you have an early 2010s Farish with factory DCC, it's probably a Soundtraxx MC1!

Edited by rogerzilla