Tillig BR 99 7238 HSB shedding details....replacements?

Salmotrutta

image.png.a9dffd57c005f5a8284a874670aa79dc.png

I picked up a secondhand one of these at the Springfield show at the weekend and gave it a good run on my HOm RhB layout as a guest loco. However at some point the vertical handrails at the front with the knob on the top disappeared. I didn't fancy grovelling through the desiccated cow dung which covers the floor of the exhibition area and couldn't find them on the layout. 

I thought that I would ask if anyone has found a source of replacements that don't fall off so easily or at least let me know what they are called in German so that I can enquire of Tillig.

Next job is finding out why it isn't soo smooth in reverse and putting the instructions through Google translate to find out the sound instructions. Mein Deutsch ist nichts so gut!

If anyone doubts my level of incompetence I found out that I had ordered a HSB version but my coaches are DR. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think PaulRhb of this parish had some difficulty with the mech on one of his 2-10-2s, and it went back to Germany at least once. I have also lost a knob-topped handrail off one of mine. This is the dilemma of the modern RTR model - we laud the detail, but fragility is necessarily part of the package. 

• Thanks 1

It's apparently called a "Griffstande Pufferbohle". Found the instructions hidden in the bottom of the box! I also found that the smokebox door didn't fit flush; on taking it apart there was a huge capacitor in there! This was preventing the door fitting and also incorrectly wired as a "keep-alive" which prevented the ESU chip being read by my "Lokprogrammer"! There's also a red wire from the connector on the smokebox door that goes nowhere. 

Anyways I replaced it with a proper ESU "keep alive" which I had left over from another HOm project (where it didn't fit) and it's purring around my mini layout. Well it's actually squealing around the curves even though the sound is off - I think that the Tillig Bettunggleis curves are a bit too tight for a 2-10-2!!

• RMweb Gold

I’d replace the posts with wire with a dab of superglue to make the knob. If you dip them in it and leave them to dry upside down it should work ok. 
I had endless trouble with one loco, it went back twice and the shop sent it back a third time before it came back. I still wasn’t happy so it went to a mate at a discount as he just displays his locos and I replaced it. One of the disadvantages of dealing with Germany direct is you can’t go in and lay the law down at the shop. 
Have you seen the Mallet announcements? :diablo_mini:

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Paul! Haven't seen the Mallet announcement but I guess it it something to save up for!

I'm still trying to identify the source of the squeal - might have to disassemble the pickups and clean them . Running not too bad except when starting - it "cogs" a bit which might be a pick up issue. 

Thanks for the tip on the "handles" , I need to replace one of the other handrails as well. Have you drilled out the chimney on yours? I'm thinking it might improve the looks.

• RMweb Gold

I found that one mine had missing handrail to the cab done. I noticed some time after buying it so not sure if it was missing then or since. I made a replacement out of wire.

I also had some of the linkage become separated but as they are plastic they just clip back. This may have been caused by  a plastic crank rotating slightly out of line but a careful twist put it back in the correct place. This also cured a slight jerking. These locos do require careful handling.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Tillig link in that post. 

No I haven’t drilled out the chimneys. I did modify the pickups though as I found they flatten against the chassis leaving you with pickup on only one or two wheels!
I used phosphor bronze wires. 
3BA53389-3F05-469E-8E9E-BEAB2EA95D31.jpeg.4efc7a0863c25c512ce3373f79ac2471.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of metal in that strip so with a decent hot 60w fine tip iron and pre cleaned it just took a quick dab. 
Little electronic project 20w irons struggle to get the heat in fast enough in a local spot so you end up heating up everything and that causes trouble. 
Mine is the size of your average 20w iron but full temp control and 60w, got it in 1994 and still going!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Finally killed the squeal as on PaulRhB's HSB thread he mentioned that the bogies were the source. A drop of Electrolube and all quiet.. except for the sound chip playing a steam hiss even when it is off. This weekend will try and make new handrails. Will have another go at the dodgy pick ups before reaching for the soldering iron.