The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

Just seen Matt Hancock on BBC Breakfast. I’m not a massive fan of him but today, as well as in recent days, I thought he was very informative on matters about social distancing, home treatment and how to safely support local businesses. 

I also observe that having yesterday delayed their announcement of how many new cases there were as of 9am yesterday, the Department for Health & Social Care announced a small drop in the number of new cases (down by around 60). It’s not a massive drop but let’s hope these small drops continue on a regular basis. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Ok I am suggesting people wear them 24 or even 8 hours a day. We all take public transport in cities and other towns. A train typically takes 500 people. 953 cases in london which twice that of China before they went into lock down. That lock down showed a further 70k infections which had happened before the lock down occured. There has been some downwards presure etc but there could be 50 to 100K of people in London with this as we speak now. 9 million + people in London, taking the lower figure of 50k = 1 person in every 180. Or approx 2 people on a busy commuter train in rush hour. The virus sits in the air for 15 to 45 minutes (depending on which scientific source you read) from people talking, coughing, sneezing.

My suggestion is you wear something that will "effectively" (mask ideally) cover your face during the short periods when you have to be in groups of people you don't know (public transport not everyone can work from home, shopping etc). Short periods.

My point is, what happens when we come out of the distancing/isolation period? What measures must we take on top? We cannot remain in shut down for a year or more. If we come out with nothing extra in terms of measures it will just flare up again.

I have 500 airline companies customers all about to go bankrupt. They will mostly support a predicted 6-12 week shut down (IF it remains at 6-12 weeks which many doubt), but they will go under if we repeat this 2 or 3 times (which may not be enough). They are not alone. Once the COVID-19 are figures down, we need to keep it low but equally make sure the measures allow life to continue. Masks might be a cheap effective way of doing that but equally the may not, washing hands and social distancing and testing alone have so far failed to stop numbers going up. 

This analyst on BBC here is asking the same question:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-51955509?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e73b771e1961406761d9731%26Analysis%3A It could take a long time for the tide to turn%262020-03-19T19%3A42%3A25.246Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:0bdf4cf1-4454-400e-8c79-ac5f3d8d6287&pinned_post_asset_id=5e73b771e1961406761d9731&pinned_post_type=share

For crying out loud you still do not get it.

You should not take public transport and you should not mix in groups.

What we are all being asked to do is perfectly simple.

A 70% reduction in social contact will eventually lead to one person passing on the virus to less than one other person. Is that maths beyond you? I do not care about how many of your customers go bust. The government is putting in place action to help with this.

The bottom line is that your selfish action is putting many lives, including mine as I am in a vulnerable group, at risk.

We have no option but to do what the government and its medical advisors tell us to do. Please give up your rants and hiding behind freedom of speech and just man up to the fact that we are in a crisis. We can get through it if we all pull together.

We can shut down for a year if we have to. If people all sing the same tune we might just turn the tide by mid summer. I repeat you are not helping. I am no fan of Boris, but we have no option.

Bernard

• Like 4
  • Agree 13

11 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Thanks.

Just my viewpoint (which is obviously not the same as yours) - isn't that what a forum is for? -  free speech and uncensored unbiased opinions?

Hi Mr Crisis,

Free speech is not about saying what you like where and when you like but about stating your own observations and opinions in a respectful manner. It is by way of my observations that I have fomented within me the opinion that far too many in people the world these days are so wrapped up in dogma that they fail completely to understand that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

These are the very people that completely fail to realise it is their actions that I have observed in he first instance thus causing me to have such opinions. This is further compounded by the irony that dishonourable bigots* will use their own right of free speech to tell you to shut up.

Here are yet more philosophical points to ponder:

" Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character, give him power over other men." 

Abraham Lincoln.

"Force always attracts men of low morality"

Albert Einstein

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you."

Mark Twain.

Gibbo.

* Any one that doesn't like the term dishonourable bigot has either a guilty conscience or is stupid enough to think that the term actually applies to them.

• Like 5

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

This is further compounded by the irony that dishonourable bigots* will use their own right of free speech to tell you to shut up.

Yes, I'm effectively shutting him up because his viewpoints were causing me time and work. On that point I have been reviewing the posts that have been reported by other members as being an issue and unfortunately you've come in at Number 1 so please take this as notice that if you continue to create occasions that I have to spend time reviewing and managing that the same sanctions will apply; simply on the basis of the time being expended - nothing to do with whether I agree or disagree with your view.

Please tread carefully.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Twelve teachers off at my daughter's school as of yesterday.

There is no way they could continue.

If they are typical of the London area then closing all schools from today does seem to be the correct decision.

Just heard from a friend in Asia, better not say where, but some might be able to work it out. He is very happy as he has permission to drive his car in the city for two days this week. That does rather put the attitude of some folk into perspective.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Torper said:

It seems that Norwegian isn't cancelling everyone's flights....

https://www.rt.com/news/483600-israel-barcelona-empty-plane-coronavirus/

DT

I once flew on a jumbo with just 17 passengers.. we were out numbered by the crew as they had a double crew on..

it is odd to life the arms across the seats in the middle and lay flat out for a kip..

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

A 70% reduction in social contact will eventually lead to one person passing on the virus to less than one other person. Is that maths beyond you? I do not care about how many of your customers go bust. The government is putting in place action to help with this.

70% fine, the problem I've got is that some are really criticising anyone not going for 100%. 70% still leaves the odd little exception that'll help people get through this.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I once flew on a jumbo with just 17 passengers.. we were out numbered by the crew as they had a double crew on..

it is odd to life the arms across the seats in the middle and lay flat out for a kip..

Way back when, we were booked on a Thompson flight from Gatwick to Verona that had a grand total of 5 passengers on a 757.  It was right at the end of the season for the Italian Lakes and there were plane loads to bring back!  No seat allocation - sit where you like!  A very early morning flight routed over the Alps on a brilliantly clear day - the views were spectacular.  They didn't push the trolley up and down the aisle, we sat round it and had a picnic.

John

• Like 3

8 hours ago, maico said:

This guy in the same store took a belt and braces end of the World approach

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/hazmat-suit-coronavirus-buying-tesco-3964751

We happen to know this chap - lives in't next village - client of the better half ……….. the backstory is he works as an airline pilot and has recently returned from an enforced, extended stay in Hong Kong and had taken the precaution so as to not infect the rest of Somerset rather than the other way round which might be the first impression from the story …………… he is also ex-RAF so it was with a bit of twinkle in his eye too ;-)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

14 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

RM related topics not triggering bun fights? Thats a novel concept! Just try mentioning frog juicers and see what happens....

You are right, this is primarily an RM forum. We are all guilty of deviating from this to varying degrees, either as thread drift or as non RM topics which impinge on our RM activities. The mods tolerate this but as representatives of the forum owners they are entitled to protect the reputation of this resource and act accordingly. We all have the option to either align our behaviour or walk....

It is now that as a community - and I mean that in its widest sense - we need to pull together. We may not neccessarily agree with the detail of everything that happens but unless we find a way to sign up and go along with what is determined as appropriate behaviour, in both the wider world and this forum, then the systems put in place to protect us all will fail.

Freedom of speech is a luxury that is hard won and easily lost. It is incumbent on all to bear this in mind when speaking publicly - including on this forum.

Phil , I’ve told you it’s unacceptable to juice frogs - they don’t like it !

having read the last couple of pages , maybe we should fast forward to the hunger games 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Twenty-odd years ago I was flying reasonably regularly to St. Louis with TWA, and this was standard practise - particularly on the return overnight flight, which was never more than one third full.

Quite often at checkin there would the offer of a business class upgrade, which was invariably turned down as it was more comfortable laid out in the back. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

We happen to know this chap - lives in't next village - client of the better half ……….. the backstory is he works as an airline pilot and has recently returned from an enforced, extended stay in Hong Kong and had taken the precaution so as to not infect the rest of Somerset rather than the other way round which might be the first impression from the story …………… he is also ex-RAF so it was with a bit of twinkle in his eye too ;-)

I am sure he’s wearing the wrong mask then, pretty sure they have a one way vent for exhaust and filter inlet, he may have infected the whole store :lol:

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

70% fine, the problem I've got is that some are really criticising anyone not going for 100%. 70% still leaves the odd little exception that'll help people get through this.

Fine if people take it in the spirit that you appear to be doing.

Both transport unions are saying that too many people are still travelling {in London) and the odd person or two on here still seems to want to argue about it.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Oh Boll*cks ………… turns out I'm a key worker. Grateful to have a CV-proof job though. Fingers crossed to everyone all that their job situations survive this ………… :unsure:

Also a Key Worker as will be many others on this site surely.  Purely out of self-interest for a moment that is a little reassurance of retaining employment.  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just as it has the model railway exhibition calendar, the effects of the virus are now burning through the airshow calendar. Duxford May show, RIAT and Farnborough now cancelled for 2020, others to follow soon I expect. 

Many of the bigger events contribute millions of pounds to multiple charities every year, something I haven't seen much discussion around but could have catastrophic implications for some vital services reliant on this money. 

Tom.  

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Interesting video here. Could explain why the various governments are rather concerned:

I m sure that people here will argue about the validity of it, but it does appear that it is based on WHO data to which links are provided in the videos description.  You may want to pause it on occasion as it runs through it all pretty quickly.

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Fine if people take it in the spirit that you appear to be doing.

Both transport unions are saying that too many people are still travelling {in London) and the odd person or two on here still seems to want to argue about it.

I've no problem with working from home right now (although in general I hate the idea, and there's only so much I can anyway). I've no problem with not going to the pub for my usual Sunday lunch, when it's normally very busy. But I'll find it all a lot easier to deal with if I can pop in to an almost empty pub on a quiet afternoon and have a drink stood outside on my own once or twice. And, unfortunately, grumbling about it on the internet helps when I'm avoiding the usual Friday night pub crowd to grumble with.

edit to add: I do have a problem with people crowding in and making reduced but not eliminated unworkable.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thats a novel concept! Just try mentioning frog juicers and see what happens....

What's green and goes red at the press of a button?

• Funny 2