The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

Just now, chris p bacon said:

I remember taking Larium as an anti malarial drug. I didn't get Malaria but the spiders coming out of your eyes and the blood dripping from the ceiling were unsettling.....

I remember that stuff, from many years ago, Nairobi, Kilimanjaro and Mombasa.  Just reading the leaflet was enough to wonder if Malaria and with Gin & Tonic might possibly be preferable. 

Julian

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I remember taking Larium as an anti malarial drug. I didn't get Malaria but the spiders coming out of your eyes and the blood dripping from the ceiling were unsettling.....

My vision 'fell apart' while driving at night, as the first effect after ceasing to take it. (Glanced in rear view mirror and I had weird 'screen in screen' vision with both forward and rear view 'stills' superimposed on jerky frame rate forward vision.) Fortunately I was on a near empty M4 at the time and by not using the rear view mirrors thereafter I made it home OK. (This was a great learning experience, proof that our vision is wholly synthesised in the brain.)

Then came the night terrors (mine majored on bears with shotguns, who knows where that came from?) and the problems were strictly hours of darkness only, and three weeks later all was back to normal. I had only taken it for two months, so my recovery was relatively swift. This was 1992, and the most helpful 'Dr John' at Hoffman La Roche subsequently told me privately that in his opinion the reason why the approval testing hadn't picked up the wild and wacky withdrawal symptoms was because the trial participants hadn't been exposed to large time zone changes. (Such as those travelling from Western Europe to the Far East might experience. Rather handy living in a location with pharmaceuticals business all around, with the between business contacts that naturally developed.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robert17649 said:

Living in Cornwall  , which at the moment has few cases,I find myself wishing that the second homers and potential  isolation holidaymakers would stay away, Our hospitals can only just cope with the standing populations needs

At 9.15am today there where 16 cases in total confirmed for Cornwall.
I live in the far west of Cornwall, and we still have visitors arriving, I think some will be returning home soon as the pubs, clubs etc., are now all closed.
Yesterday the Devon & Cornwall Police Commissioner's main comments on the local news was the D&C Police are getting prepared for an increase in domestic violence cases in the coming weeks.  
And, there's a comment on the local forum that parents may be about to find out the teacher is not at fault? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I think people should take a step back and consider what this thread indicates about where we are.

Torper was locked out of the thread for voicing an opinion which whether or not people agreed with it was offered in a reasonable manner and I suspect reflected the views of others. Was it stupid? That is perhaps a matter of opinion but if it was it was certainly no more stupid than many other posts in this thread that have passed without comment and recieved plenty of likes. Personally I support moderation where people are aggressive or promoting ideas that are offensive but if not being part of a group and offering a minority opinion or being stupid (which tends to be a subjective opinion) are in themselves reasons to be locked out or for people to ask for moderator intervention I find that disturbing.

Gibbo seems to have rocked the boat and been singled out by some. Do I agree with all he says? No, but again he has not been aggressive and his views are no more unsubstantiated than a lot of others which seem to be going by without being questioned. I am seeing a lot of scare mongering which is just adding to people's anxiety just pass ( then people are whinging about panic buying and empty shelves). 

I am seeing a lot of talk about numbers, I have done mathematical modelling and a guilty hobby of mine is debunking modelled analysis in technical papers. If people are going to demand links to support opinions then they should perhaps also question stuff from all sources.

If not sharing the opinion of the majority is going to become unacceptable and people want to impose their own views on others then personally I find that deeply worrying.

Hi John,

Many thanks for your kind comments, and thank you for noting that I have not been aggressive toward anyone at all despite being subjected to ridicule for merely stating opinion in a polite manner.

Gibbo.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Good news form the south of France in which a peer reviewed study of forty patients have been cured of the Corona virus using Hydroxychloroquine.

Gibbo.

A listed side effect of Hydroxychloroquine is the squits.  

So perhaps all the toilet roll hoarding isn't so daft, after all!

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have read similar and also seen Trump's incorrect statement on FDA approval but can you provide a link to this please? From what I have read I don't know whether it's a preventative or a treatment possibility. 

Hi Andy,

it seems while I was out for a walk links have been provided, I did spot this on my travels though:

DSCF0975.JPG.0cea80f481f8ee4c53714a95620b1389.JPG

It is HSFV4 looking rather tatty at Warcop.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Latest thing to run out in the shops... KY Jelly.  

Looks like all the self-isolating over-70's aren't just going to be redecorating for the next three months.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, maico said:

Yesterday I noticed the daily 24h death toll had gone over 1000 for the first time for the EU and UK. Makes grim reading.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Italy 627

Spain 219

France 78

UK 33

Netherlands 30

Germany 23

Belgium 16

Switzerland 13

Greece 4

Hungary 3

Denmark 3

Portugal 2

----------------

Seeing that in the UK taking no action was modelled at a point last week as leading to 250k deaths and that the current "aim" is to reduce this to 20k I would say it is upsetting to the families of all of those involved but hardly grim.

What word will you be using to describe the situation in late April?

Bernard 

4 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Seeing that in the UK taking no action was modelled at a point last week as leading to 250k deaths and that the current "aim" is to reduce this to 20k I would say it is upsetting to the families of all of those involved but hardly grim.

Bernard 

What a strange post...

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Penlan said:

At 9.15am today there where 16 cases in total confirmed for Cornwall.
I live in the far west of Cornwall, and we still have visitors arriving, I think some will be returning home soon as the pubs, clubs etc., are now all closed.
Yesterday the Devon & Cornwall Police Commissioner's main comments on the local news was the D&C Police are getting prepared for an increase in domestic violence cases in the coming weeks.  
And, there's a comment on the local forum that parents may be about to find out the teacher is not at fault? 

I see there are also reports, though I cannot offer verification on authenticity, that a large beach party planned for Newquay was to be forcibly shut down by an armed presence.  It might reasonably be assumed that a party would attract significant numbers of people and that those people would not be capable of observing guidelines on distancing.  Beach parties (especially in parts of Cornwall) have been both a long tradition and sometimes a wretched nuisance disturbing local residents directly or indirectly through traffic and illegal parking.  Some have been very well organised and patrolled and have made use of private sections of beach away from the main towns.  I guess we shall see tonight what eventuates.  

I am aware that there are visitors in Cornwall and that a number of them have arrived on the back of very recent advertising promoting a "virus-free isolation" by reprehensible accommodation providers.  All the Spring festivals have been cancelled (Obby Oss Day, Flora Day, Golowan Festival / Mazey Day and no doubt other smaller events) and the pubs are closed except for take-away food.  And drinks in some cases.  At least one pub known to me now has a couple of tables set up in its car park with seating arranged a couple of metres apart and is offering takeaway beer for consumption at those tables. They say this does not flout the rules.  

Tourist attractions are closed as are holiday parks although some of those only made the decision within the past 48 hours and it is possible not all bookings will have been made aware.  

Going away for a holiday is not "Essential travel".  Cornwall has limited infrastructure and is the same as anywhere else in experiencing localised food distribution issues and pressure on its health service resources.  

As of today there are no direct rail services to or from Cornwall.  A limited local service runs as far as Plymouth and a limited main-line service runs between Plymouth and London.  The overnight sleeping-car train has been suspended.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

We do not yet know what that situation might be.  One of the unknowns about this virus is how it pans out in the longer term.  China seems to have peaked and is easing some restrictions but there are suggestions of a small second wave now that its citizens may return from overseas.  

I personally differ in opinion with some others on this site and with some of the official opinion and pronouncements but have no wish to upset the applecart by asserting my views in public.  I am subject to the same conditions as everyone else whether I like it, or agree with it, or not.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Looks like all the self-isolating over-70's aren't just going to be redecorating for the next three months.

On a more serious note, come the first few months of 2021 I predict their will be a big spike in the birth rate as the after effects of this mass self isolation / confined to the house means folk seek the more basic pleasures in life to pass the time.

That has implications for all sorts of things like NHS maternity services, then a big expansion in school places needed from 2025.....

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

On a more serious note, come the first few months of 2021 I predict their will be a big spike in the birth rate as the after effects of this mass self isolation / confined to the house means folk seek the more basic pleasures in life to pass the time.

That has implications for all sorts of things like NHS maternity services, then a big expansion in school places needed from 2025.....

I agree on the birth rate thing.  Although not here; any "basic pleasures" these days are internet-derived ;)  

Also the divorce rate is suggested to be at risk owing to couples being in close quarters with each other for extended times rather than out at work or down the pub.  

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Ha bloody ha! Some of us, currently stuck in separate countries, would be delighted to help reduce the EU KY mountain! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Adding to the "issues";

New York Center ATC (that's the primary high level - non-tower or approach control ) air traffic control has just gone "ATC Zero".

They've imposed a ground stop on ALL traffic inbound to the NY major airports which includes Newark, La Guardia, Kennedy and Philadelphia. Anything in air inbound but not ALREADY in their airspace will be diverted!

So if you know anyone heading in or out of those locations will have additional problems/issues.

Result of a "staff triggering", no further details right now.

• Informative/Useful 4

51 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Ballasting?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Either an Alice Cooper video or yet another normal night out up here? :mellow:

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I see there are also reports, though I cannot offer verification on authenticity, that a large beach party planned for Newquay was to be forcibly shut down by an armed presence.  It might reasonably be assumed that a party would attract significant numbers of people and that those people would not be capable of observing guidelines on distancing.  Beach parties (especially in parts of Cornwall) have been both a long tradition and sometimes a wretched nuisance disturbing local residents directly or indirectly through traffic and illegal parking.  Some have been very well organised and patrolled and have made use of private sections of beach away from the main towns.  I guess we shall see tonight what eventuates.  

I am aware that there are visitors in Cornwall and that a number of them have arrived on the back of very recent advertising promoting a "virus-free isolation" by reprehensible accommodation providers.  All the Spring festivals have been cancelled (Obby Oss Day, Flora Day, Golowan Festival / Mazey Day and no doubt other smaller events) and the pubs are closed except for take-away food.  And drinks in some cases.  At least one pub known to me now has a couple of tables set up in its car park with seating arranged a couple of metres apart and is offering takeaway beer for consumption at those tables. They say this does not flout the rules.  

Tourist attractions are closed as are holiday parks although some of those only made the decision within the past 48 hours and it is possible not all bookings will have been made aware.  

Going away for a holiday is not "Essential travel".  Cornwall has limited infrastructure and is the same as anywhere else in experiencing localised food distribution issues and pressure on its health service resources.  

As of today there are no direct rail services to or from Cornwall.  A limited local service runs as far as Plymouth and a limited main-line service runs between Plymouth and London.  The overnight sleeping-car train has been suspended.  

Thankfully our beach has no parking, no toilets, no cafe......and the Lane is small enough that one car would block it, so not parking there either.......bliss.