The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium

Bravo for Oregon governor Kate Brown who today stopped all social events and ordered many businesses to close. She also closed parks and has forbidden all social events.  On top of that Those who defy the order can be charged with endangering public health, a class C misdemeanor. People found to have violated her order could be jailed for up to 30 days or fined $1,250,

At least someone in charge seems to have an understanding of this dire situation.

The US looks like it's going to go down hill fast. With over 40.000 confirmed cases after just 18 days it's already ten times worse here than in China (Taking into account cases per head of population and the time frame in which the virus has spread). Most people here still seem to be going about their business as usual, work, shopping, banking etc. although practicing social distancing and obsessive  hand washing/disinfecting. This seems to be smart except the only way to slow this nasty virus is to stay home like they have proved in countries that have slowed it's spread.

Under a federal government that thinks it's at war, nowhere near enough testing kits, hardly any masks and a public that are worried about health care costs.  I'm fearful and am staying home with locked gates.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

4 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

I agree, speaking as a fairly sporty 18 year old. Aside from physical activity, I’m so used to travelling regularly that staying in one location for (hopefully no more than) three weeks will be tough. I’ll just have to optimise ‘shopping trips’ and my ‘daily exercise’.

Think yourself lucky you weren’t 18 in 1939.....;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

They wouldn't have to if there wasn't a section of the population who act selfishly, and disregard the requests that preceded today's instructions.

They wouldn't have to if they specifically targetted those areas and / or people, e.g. by stopping parking at problem locations.

Most countries seem to have the army out being simultaneously reassuring and mildly intimidating , and I guess that the TA (Army Reserve?) is being mobilised right now.

Their very presence in uniform should have the desired affect of making people think about whether their journey is really necessary.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

I agree, speaking as a fairly sporty 18 year old. Aside from physical activity, I’m so used to travelling regularly that staying in one location for (hopefully no more than) three weeks will be tough. I’ll just have to optimise ‘shopping trips’ and my ‘daily exercise’.

67 million people are in the same boat. Yes it will be tough. Get over it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Just trying to work out what the score is with the MOT on the car, booked for Wednesday (due 12th April latest), as the wife’s work is essential and buses have all been cut back as of Monday.

waiting to see what the garage suggest.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Most countries seem to have the army out being simultaneously reassuring and mildly intimidating , and I guess that the TA (Army Reserve?) is being mobilised right now.

Their very presence in uniform should have the desired affect of making people think about whether their journey is really necessary.

It would definately make me feel better for sure. :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Changing from asking to being able to get the police on you is a great deal more than "only". It is a dark day indeed for the country. Having restrictions on things that you're not allowed to do is one thing, explicitly saying what you're allowed to do quite another. Close car parks, close parks, put up temporary no parking at the side of the road and enforce that - that makes it impractical to recreate the scenes from the weekend without stooping this low.

You have clearly never had the pleasure of living in the sorts of places that the lunatic fringe have been going to.   Shut the car parks and they will park on the streets - often narrow roads, sometimes single track - and that means that when the ambulance/fire engine/police car wants to get to some poor victim, it cannot.

Temporary no parking signs?  Try that in the Lake district.  I would guess that the shortage of road signs just for this one national park would make the shortage of NHS PPE look like a silly little problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

That is not what was said. We all saw the broadcast. Get your facts right.

Transcript:

To put it simply, if too many people become seriously unwell at one time, the NHS will be unable to handle it - meaning more people are likely to die, not just from coronavirus but from other illnesses as well.

So it's vital to slow the spread of the disease.

Because that is the way we reduce the number of people needing hospital treatment at any one time, so we can protect the NHS's ability to cope - and save more lives.

And that's why we have been asking people to stay at home during this pandemic.

And though huge numbers are complying - and I thank you all - the time has now come for us all to do more.

From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home.

Because the critical thing we must do is stop the disease spreading between households.

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
    One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
    Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
    Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

That's all - these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

How much clearer does it need to be?

Al

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

1 minute ago, 57xx said:

67 million people are in the same boat. Yes it will be tough. Get over it.

Of course it will be tough. And it’s not like I have any other choice but to ‘get over it’.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

That is not what was said. We all saw the broadcast. Get your facts right.

I wasn't quoting the broadcast. I am speaking from the perspective of health care professionals. 3 weeks of self control or months of imposed control, your choice. I fear for the vulnerable in this country.

Mike

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

He's saving that for the "branch on bonnet" moment.

"Right!! That's it! Don't say I haven't warned you!"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

You have clearly never had the pleasure of living in the sorts of places that the lunatic fringe have been going to.   Shut the car parks and they will park on the streets - often narrow roads, sometimes single track - and that means that when the ambulance/fire engine/police car wants to get to some poor victim, it cannot.

Temporary no parking signs?  Try that in the Lake district.  I would guess that the shortage of road signs just for this one national park would make the shortage of NHS PPE look like a silly little problem.

I'm very familar with the Lake District, my grandparents lived in the middle of it on a road that often had problems with cars parking along it, getting in the way. As for the signs, announce it on the matrix signs on the motorways almost everyone will use to get there, and a few other major routes in such as the A66 and A591.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Transcript:

From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home.

Because the critical thing we must do is stop the disease spreading between households.

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
    One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;

How much clearer does it need to be?

Neither of those are staying at home.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m picturing Corporal Jones hysterically shouting ‘Don’t panic!’ and Warden Hodges shouting ‘Put that light out!’ :)

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Reorte said:

Oh for heavens sake, the implication is clear to all but the most obtuse, you must stay at home except for the exemptions mentioned.

Al

• Agree 15

• RMweb Gold

7 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

I wasn't quoting the broadcast.

So the government has got it wrong then? So who do you expect the population to listen to?

The point is to not interact with others unless absolutely unavoidable e.g. when buying food etc.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

If you listened to, or read the statement it's obvious what we are being asked to do, nit picking over minutae of wording is starting to look more like you're trolling.

Exercise is for your mental health, the guidelines about being on your own or with just family are easy enough to understand.

• Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Oh for heavens sake, the implication is clear to all but the most obtuse, you must stay at home except for the exemptions mentioned.

Er, yes. I'm not the one who's been implying otherwise. The people shrieking "STAY AT HOME!" didn't do so in reply to someone saying they were planning on going away for a week.

Edited by Reorte