The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

2 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Sainsbury's seem to be able to do an online order for Thursday delivery down in S E Kent.

Indeed?  I guess it depends on where you reside then..makes sense I think. Could it be that populations are different to East Midlands?

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

The problem then is the car could be contaminated by the guys working on/testing it, where do you wait while they test it (if it's not collected) and you could contaminate them if they don't clean it first - and taking your car for an MOT (for those of us not in reserved occupations) is not seen as a need to go out.

It's a tricky one. Plenty of people will still need the car occasionally for the (hopefully fewer than normal) supermarket trips. I've heard three weeks for these restrictions, perhaps if they are just for that then allowing MoTs due in that period to be deferred a month would be reasonable under the circumstances, particularly when they're getting much less use than usual?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

We are contemplating the weekly shop and the implications in the current situation. I don't see how social distancing is going to work in a supermarket, the concept is a good one, but there are all sorts of valid reasons why it isn't going to work. Time, perhaps, to do the shop online

A good idea but a failed one. Can't even get a slot for click and collect. Our daughter is still able to use the service, perhaps it's just closed to new customers.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The issue of MOTs has been raised on other forums and on the radio phone-ins.

I would have thought this is along way down the list of government priorities at the moment and just one of a myriad of issues that will raised or affected by this crisis.

I expect if the police stop anyone and find an MOT has expired, they will take a pragmatic approach, based on the date of expiry.

Garages are still open.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

A good idea but a failed one. Can't even get a slot for click and collect. Our daughter is still able to use the service, perhaps it's just closed to new customers.

Supermarket policies differ slightly.  Many are closed to new accounts and cannot offer delivery slots to anyone such is the demand.  Some are prioritising those who cannot get out to shop.  Supply of goods is still intermittent in some respects but across the board reports suggest it is easing.  So those who pick from the shelves may have a chance of getting their order whilst Ocado, who only use their warehouses, are still trying to turn over goods at a rate far in excess of anything planned for but they are getting stuff out there.

Distancing in supermarkets has to be tackled on a sensible basis.  It is very unlikely that one can remain 2m from everyone else at all times.  If assistance is sought it may not be possible to hear each other at that distance and if the assistance requires manual intervention (such as is commonly the case in self-checkout lanes) then close proximity is inevitable.  Sanitise ASAP or when you get home at the latest.  Wash face and hands in soapy water for 20 seconds.  Some sources suggest drinking warm water to cleanse the throat - note this is not medical advice though makes sense to me.  Take any precautions you feel necessary regarding your purchases.  

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

As a key worker in health care I was given a letter this afternoon which is effectively a travel permit. I won't go into the wording but we were told it is from a HMG template, which shows that Boris's statement was policy very early today.

Mike

Interesting - back on shift on Sat for 4 days - purely because the supply of colleagues has reached the empty shelf stage and I will have to travel a long way to get there by public transport. I am uncomfortable with having to do this but the job I do is a legal requirement for operation of the railway even if we aren't running trains.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Southernman46 said:

Interesting - back on shift on Sat for 4 days - purely because the supply of colleagues has reached the empty shelf stage and I will have to travel a long way to get there by public transport. I am uncomfortable with having to do this but the job I do is a legal requirement for operation of the railway even if we aren't running trains.

Those among us who had not already done so received ours today.  Not a legal requirement but an assurance that if challenged we can prove that we are on legitimate business.  Public transport use is at an extremely low level.  There are a few exceptions.  It was noticeable today that there were fewer short-formed trains about.  Some are even 12-car with, on average, two or three carriages per passenger!  It should be safe to travel.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Olympics postponed. I'm surprised that it's taken until now.

I'm not. Since sport got into bed with capitalism and sponsorships etc became the bedrock of the whole shebang, it was certain that such decisions would be postponed until inevitable.

The commercial supremo of Formula 1 said yesterday that he expected to run 15-18 races when the world settles down. Fat chance - but it gives hope to support the share price a little longer! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

We are unable to book a grocery delivery for a fortnight (SiL has got a slot on Saturday, so the entire family is piling-in on that and BiL will ‘sub-distribute’); can’t buy eggs without driving ten miles from town to a farm where the chickens can’t lay fast enough; but we ordered a basketball hoop at 2100 yesterday, and it was delivered at 1330 today.

I’m not sure that the priorities of the distribution networks are currently set appropriately!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I don't see why we(as a nation) arent following in other countries footsteps and allowing other distributers(eg:Amazons) to help with food distribution..It works in other countrys. How many distribution companies are now finding themselves short of work now the retail side of UK business has more or less closed up?

Many deaths in Italy are not being recorded as the result of coronavirus.

A much higher number of older people than usual are dying at home, or in care homes, but because they haven't been tested for the virus and no post mortems are being carried out, they are not being included in the official figures.

My sister works in a fairly large, local care home, which contains several different departments, on different floors and adjoining buildings.

They usually experience one or two deaths per month maximum.

Sometimes there are no deaths for a month or two.

Despite being in lock down for about 4 weeks, they've lost nearly a dozen in that time, with 7 deaths in the last week.

None have been tested for coronavirus and therefore will not be included in the Coronavirus stats.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

we ordered a basketball hoop at 2100 yesterday, and it was delivered at 1330 today.

I’m not sure that the priorities of the distribution networks are currently set appropriately!

Similar here, can't get a food delivery slot for 3 weeks but ordered some car mats off eBay yesterday and they arrived an hour ago. Not sure whether to laugh or cry <sigh> 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, midlands said:

Indeed?  I guess it depends on where you reside then..makes sense I think. Could it be that populations are different to East Midlands?

Could be all sorts of things: population density, whether the super-market has a 'black shop', or whether they pick off the same shelves as normal customers, and probably many more things.

5 minutes ago, midlands said:

In a half full glass kinda way :)

Well, I'm just considering the possibility, if the restrictions have to be tightened much further.

It's not being pessimistic or doom mongering to consider that anything can happen in the coming weeks and months.

We just have to be open and pragmatic about it and not get into a tizz when the government announce their next course of action.

Despite prior national emergency planning, the government and their advisors are going to have to make do and mend and make some decisions off the cuff.

They won't be able to cover all the angles at once, the circumstances may change rapidly, or not work out as they expected and omissions and mistakes will be made.

They haven't had the luxury of a couple of years to work this out, with endless working groups and committee meetings.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, russ p said:

What happens with MOTs? Are you allowed to  go out for a test 

Halfords auto centres are open but shops aren't so they will change you an absolute fortune if your car fails on a bulb 

Apologies if this has already been linked to.

230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

Obviously subject to change in further days.

• Thanks 1

"Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible"

It appears as though the panic buyers/hoarders had got this right ahead of schedule, whereas I, who have just been doing my regular once a week shop, had got it wrong. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

I guess the people who cast axle boxes and loco chimneys, or etch nameplates in their garage are queuing up to get involved :-)

I was thinking where are all the 3-D printer owners now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Similar here, can't get a food delivery slot for 3 weeks but ordered some car mats off eBay yesterday and they arrived an hour ago. Not sure whether to laugh or cry <sigh> 

Hmmm.  Maybe try them with a bit of paté on, with a decent Sauterne to follow?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

56 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

None have been tested for coronavirus and therefore will be included in the stats.

Morbid stuff, I know, and literally so, but I made the point many posts back that the real impact will not be visible until much later, as a spike in annual mortality with the cause being direct and indirect affects of Coronavirus.

The net affect can’t be visible until afterwards, because in a proportion of cases it is doubtless replacing another cause of death within the same year, hastening the end for a some poor souls by only few months.

On another morbid tack: has anyone noticed how some leading figures in the US are, without quite using the words, already kicking around the “Let ‘em die, because the economic impact of protecting them is too great” thoughts, which I warned about yesterday?

I’m certain that debate will surface in Europe at some point, and my reading of the Russian over-damped-response is that their leadership already tacitly decided upon that course (with the exception of the leadership themselves, naturally). I think they see the disease as their ally in their continuous power-tussle with the EU, Canada etc.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, midlands said:

I don't see why we(as a nation) arent following in other countries footsteps and allowing other distributers(eg:Amazons) to help with food distribution..It works in other countrys. How many distribution companies are now finding themselves short of work now the retail side of UK business has more or less closed up?

I believe we are, at least there are presently “wheels in motion” with the major distribution carriers, supermarkets and GOV to do just that.

• Agree 1