The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It really should've occurred to me when I got a load of shopping in at the start of the week (not in the panic buying vein, but simply because I usually don't cook during the week, using the work canteen) that I should've also got more containers to freeze batches in - I live on my own and it's much easier to do more than I need and freeze it.

Anything will do, I use plastic bags, old marg tubs or tin foil. 

I have in the past used clingfilm, I laid it out over/in a bowl then filled with a pie mix. I tied the cling film up and placed it with the bowl in the freezer, after a couple of hours I removed the bowl.

Just remember to defrost  in a bowl or be prepared to lick it off the worktop.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Russia is exploiting the situation exactly as I predicted: sailing a flotilla about to distract our forces from supporting emergency workers on the home front.

They we’re doing it with aircraft a few days ago.

Cheap war again.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Lantavian said:

These viral warnings ...... 

Am I the only one who spotted the double-entendre in that? 

7 hours ago, Lantavian said:

a famous Belgian

Plastic Bertrand, born Roger François Jouret, musician; responsible for a single British hit "Ça Plane Pour Moi" to which yours truly will still pogo if persuaded with enough alcohol ;)  Still with us and now in television, apparently.  

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Plastic Bertrand, born Roger François Jouret, musician; responsible for a single British hit "Ça Plane Pour Moi" to which yours truly will still pogo if persuaded with enough alcohol ;)  Still with us and now in television, apparently.  

Plastic Binliner probably won't thank me for bringing this, his Eurovision performance from 1987 for Luxembourg (a country notorious for employing singing mercenaries for their Eurovision entries, I suppose it's being such a small country and probably having a small talent pool to paddle in).  Came second from last.  I wonder why.

14 hours ago, MJI said:

The only one I know is Thierry Boutson

Back in the early 1990's I remember reading an article (believe it was in Motor Sport magazine) that stated that :

At present Belgium has three drivers in F1, unfortunately one is in jail (Bertrand Gachot), one in hospital (Eric van de Poele) and the other is Thierry Boutson.

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Exactly, it has strong parallels with wartime in as much that technology/inventions appear in short time to fulfil an immediate need, thankfully that tech can be further developed and expanded after any crisis/war is over to benefit the general populace.

In WWII the American Naval Depot at Newcourt on the Exmouth Branch was requested by the American Naval Authorities on Saturday October 2nd 1943. By Wednesday 6th October 1943 1000ft of siding had been laid in, connected to the mainline, signalled, and in use.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Classic. :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ4i3lQM5lg

"He's not on drugs, he's belgian. Subtle difference."

• Funny 2

This is interesting https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/uk-patient-zero-east-sussex-family-may-have-infected-coronavirus/amp/

My aged, and very fit, mother, who lives about five miles from the village concerned, is convinced she’s already had, and fought-off the dreaded, which slightly concerns me ........ although very far inside the ‘vulnerable by age’ group, she’s beginning to talk about ‘getting out and helping others’, and I discovered today is still doing her own shopping, despite reassuring me the other day that people were doing it for her!

Admirable determination, but ......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

The people of Wigan seem to be taking it all  seriously. Just been to Lidl, streets virtually deserted just a few out & about the town centre with shopping bags. Lidl very well organised and supervised queue, everyone 2m apart, didn't hear a single moan or complaint. When I arrived I was about 20th in line, waited around 20 minutes or so.  Only around a dozen or so shoppers in at any one time - one out one in. Lots of stuff available especially bread, fruit & veg. A quick whiz around and I got the basics I needed. Everybody keeping the 2m at checkouts. No bog rolls though - the security man at least told everyone before they got in line.

Just what is it with bog rolls ??

My parents / grandparents survived worse. A bomb landed at Britannia Bridge back in 1918, not far from Lidl !!!!!!!!! The Hun were after the steelworks at  Kirkless - which they missed !!!

bxlb5qf8.jpg

Brit15

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am in a similar situation with about 6m2 of roof area exposed to the elements.

Looks like I am going to have to tackle it myself IF I can get the necessary materials.

I had an issue where the wind took an entire strip of roofing felt off of my workshop where I keep my layout. I bought a heavy duty 6M x 8M tarpaulin from B & Q and fitted it securely over the roof until the weather improves. Its securely screwed to the walls and has stood up to the wind and rain. My workshop is 20ft by 10ft.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Of course no one’s admitting to watching a recent repeat of “Pointless” that had a whole round devoted to famous Belgians.

To add to the aforementioned, there’s

Georges Simenon (novelist),

Hercule Poirot (fictional),

Jean-Baptist’s Flamme (locomotive engineer, an early proponent of superheating and whose locomotives were coveted by the Russians),  

John Cockerill (founder of the first major Belgian locomotive works at Seraing near Liege - oh except he was English),

King Leopold II, into rubber (fnarr, fnarr) and brutally running the Congo as a private business,

Stoffel Vandoorne, another F1 driver, Fred’s teammate at McLaren.

34 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Is smurfing together allowed during socail distancing?

As long as you Smurf at least two metres apart and wash your hands it should be Ok. (Check UK.Gov/Smurfing/Covid-19 for more details.)

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Premium

This decision is troubling;I would have hoped in these times that pragmatism would trump dogma.

Now while there is a political dimension to this I've posted purely because I think we need to be as well informed as possible. I'd be disappointed if we spiral off into our tribal camps and take chunks out of each other. With the threats we face health and economic we need to do all we can to look after each other and this includes not ratcheting up Andy's workload.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Well London is currently the worst affected part of the country but clearly some people have a magic immmunity to the disease. They must have as I just saw about ten of them doing football practice on the playing fields behind my house. Jerks!!

Well it depends - I've certainly seen some defenders who seem unable to get to within 2 m of anyone.

• Funny 7

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

This decision is troubling;I would have hoped in these times that pragmatism would trump dogma.

Now while there is a political dimension to this I've posted purely because I think we need to be as well informed as possible. I'd be disappointed if we spiral off into our tribal camps and take chunks out of each other. With the threats we face health and economic we need to do all we can to look after each other and this includes not ratcheting up Andy's workload.

I noticed this 

But Mr Johnson's spokesman denied the decision was motivated by Brexit, adding: "This is an area where we’re making our own efforts.” Which sounds like the very definition of a decision motivated by Brexit thinking. 

In a crisis like this we definitely need pragmatism and most certainly not ideology of any persuasion.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3

I am getting somewhat angry with the media. I have just watched a local news article filmed *inside* a hospice. The reporter even had the nerve to mention that he was not allowed into the wards with the most serious cases (i.e. those just days from death). 

I am shocked that they allowed him and his cameraman in the building at all. If the general public are told to stay at home, why should the media think they can just wander anywhere they like - under the rather weak and ironic excuse they are providing a public service. 

Couldn't they contact people via Skype or Face-Time?

Sorry. Rant over. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1