The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

ALL "news"papers have their proprietors' political axes to grind, that's why there's no shortage of megalomaniacs wanting to own them, and why I haven't regularly bought any of them for over ten years.

Not bought any at all? It's such useful stuff though, protecting things when painting (both models and decorating), lighting fires, pet bedding, all sorts of things. Don't know why they waste time printing stuff on it though.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Lat Friday I gave blood at the local clinic and sat next (2M) to a chap who said he worked in Cambridge, we spoke about C19 and he said he was a research Dr and usually worked on nasties such as HIV, he said testing would change in the next week as something 'big' was on stream. He couldn't say much but said the equipment they used was being adapted fr C19

I'm guessing he was on about this

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/rapid-covid-19-diagnostic-test-developed-by-cambridge-team-to-be-deployed-in-hospitals

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Lat Friday I gave blood at the local clinic and sat next (2M) to a chap who said he worked in Cambridge, we spoke about C19 and he said he was a research Dr and usually worked on nasties such as HIV, he said testing would change in the next week as something 'big' was on stream. He couldn't say much but said the equipment they used was being adapted fr C19

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/rapid-covid-19-diagnostic-test-developed-by-cambridge-team-to-be-deployed-in-hospitals

we live in hope (Cornwall actually)

It might be good but a few digits need extracting rapidly.

wheres that wall?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, robert17649 said:

It might be good but a few digits need extracting rapidly.

When you consider the speed that research tends to move at I'd say that's already happening,  this has been tested and approved in a very short timescale to suit our urgent need.

I wonder that sometimes Government can't say anything in case they give false hope, but get beaten by detractors for non action in the interim.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

24 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Not bought any at all? It's such useful stuff though, protecting things when painting (both models and decorating), lighting fires, pet bedding, all sorts of things. Don't know why they waste time printing stuff on it though.

We get a free newspaper once a week here. It goes straight in the pantry onto the 'old newspaper pile' and only taken out to do some of the above - masking for painting, wrapping broken glass, packing in ebay parcels etc.

I never actually look at it, so I have no idea what it's title is, even!!! :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

The Luftwaffe says on Twitter

I think I must be stuck in a war-film paradigm, because that phrase seems so dissonant.

I’m imagining a chap sitting in an ME109, using an iPhone.

Will I ever be able to rid myself of these stereotypes!?

• Funny 7

4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I think I must be stuck in a war-film paradigm, because that phrase seems so dissonant.

Whatever you do dont mention the war I did but I think I got away with it!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Your name vil also go on ze list.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

The background is just daylight balanced lighting through the windows and almost definitely from daylight balanced tubes so colours of body parts can be assessed easily before removal, the “doctor” has been illuminated by the look of it from a warm balanced single source lamp whether it be LED, flash or tungsten.

Pictures a normal set up type shot.

Hi,

Isn't there blue light bouncing off the ceiling and a light source low and to the left (its casting a sharp shadow to the right).

Take care.

Nick

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

We get a free newspaper once a week here. It goes straight in the pantry onto the 'old newspaper pile' and only taken out to do some of the above - masking for painting, wrapping broken glass, packing in ebay parcels etc.

I never actually look at it, so I have no idea what it's title is, even!!! :sarcastichand:

I've never got the point of the Metro free paper. On the few occasions I've read it there has been absolutely nothing of any value in it. In an are where a majority have smart devices that can act as E-readers, music players and access the Internet, stream movies etc all the Metro does is waste a lot of resources and emit lots in printing and distribution and negate all of those expensive fire retardant materials used in trains by filling them up with paper and giving the combustive properties of 4* petrol. Bonkers.

Edited by jjb1970

On 01/04/2020 at 01:47, Lantavian said:

A quick check is to Google it before you share it to see if it's been debunked.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-51931394

See if the source is on this list of websites that spread misinformation

https://www.newsguardtech.com/coronavirus-misinformation-tracking-center/

This is a good website from the WHO of common myths

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

Snopes is always good

https://www.snopes.com/collections/coronavirus-international-rumors/

Full Facts, Snopes, BBC? I would trust any of them to publish anything other than the party line. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

Or he could have worked at the Genome Centre, lots going on there atm regarding C-19

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, NIK said:

Hi,

Isn't there blue light bouncing off the ceiling and a light source low and to the left (its casting a sharp shadow to the right).

Take care.

Nick

There is a lot more in the pic than mentioned, but rather than forensically dissect the image (we can leave that to the “Doctor”) I just wanted to point out it wasn’t a photoshopped collage.

12 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

negate all of those expensive fire retardant materials used in trains by filling them up with paper and giving the combustive properties of 4* petrol. Bonkers.

There was a huge debate about it between the intending publisher and TfL when it was first introduced, and it was allowed to distribute on stations on condition that it stapled the pages, because that actually made it easier to clear it out of trains than all the previous papers that got slung about and which disassembled themselves.

Metro also pays part of the train-clearing cost in return for having its dispensers on stations.

(I can never find anything worth reading in it either, but it’s there as a vehicle for adverts, for which I’m not the target, so .......)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Why? Justify that. Give examples.

The first two are allegedly "fact checkers" but push a particular point of view. The BBC hasn't been unbiased since the General Strike in 1925 when Churcill threaten to shut it down if it didn't toe the government line.  

• Funny 2

On 31/03/2020 at 12:40, Lantavian said:

The original poster seemed to suggest that the Spectator was somehow not "MSM".

Is English your first language?

What I said was:

I would recommend reading this as a antidote to some of wilder reporting of the MSM. 

This thread is rapidly becoming proof positive that if you stick a dozen perfectly normal people together in a closed building for a week, prevent them going outdoors, and deprive them of all outside stimuli, by the end of the week you will have:

- two raving paranoiacs;

- at least one injured in a fight;

- one curled up in a foetal position, rocking and mumbling;

- two virulently opposed cliques;

- somebody who thinks all the rest adore them;

- somebody who thinks all the rest are plotting against them.

etc etc

(I’m leaving aside that if they are young and of both genders, you’ll also have several pregnancies)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

This thread is rapidly becoming proof positive that if you stick a dozen perfectly normal people together in a closed building for a week, prevent them going outdoors, and deprive them of all outside stimuli, by the end of the week you will have:

- two raving paranoiacs;

- at least one injured in a fight;

- one curled up in a foetal position, rocking and mumbling;

- two virulently opposed cliques;

- somebody who thinks all the rest adore them;

- somebody who thinks all the rest are plotting against them.

etc etc

(I’m leaving aside that if they are young and of both genders, you’ll also have several pregnancies)

You forgot the rest of them sitting back and having a good laugh ;)  hoping the door will soon be opened!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

I stick by my interpretation.

Oh, on matters of English, it's "an antidote", and not "a antidote". 

You need to get out more matey...oh, hang on a minute....

You really are getting up a lot of peoples' noses. Maybe that's your antidote to boredom...

Edited by PhilH
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 1