The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

6 hours ago, Lantavian said:

Take a step back for a moment.

Yes, it looks like he is at work. 

But he is not actually working. He's not cutting up a dead body, is he?

Can you see any blood on the tools or on his gloves or gown?

So we don't know if that is how he would actually dress when cutting up a body.

This is a posed portrait of a man at his workplace.  

Further, the article says he's a doctor, a professor, and he's director of an institute of forensic medicine in Germany; he examines all bodies of people suspected of carrying the coronavirus.

So perhaps the doctor is better at assessing the risks involved in wearing that mask in that particular room at that time than you are?

(We don't even know if the body in the background is of a person who was suspecting of carrying coronavirus. Given the high-level of protection and safety that medical personnel use when dealing with covid-19 patients, I suspect it isn't.)

I asked a question and don't need to be patronized thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Day Ten in The Big Brother House .......

Im having just the same at home, where my children have decided that the best way to pass the time is by needling one another.

We’ll all be truly bonkers by the end of three months.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

If they're people who spread rumours or false information or make unjustified claims about coronavirus and don't back them up, then I'm quite happy to get up their noses.

Who appointed you the arbiter of this thread? Read the header from Andy York at the top of this thread.It's a discussion on a forum, not a fount of absolute fact.

Wind your neck in.

Edited by PhilH
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

This thread is rapidly becoming proof positive that if you stick a dozen perfectly normal people together in a closed building for a week, prevent them going outdoors, and deprive them of all outside stimuli, by the end of the week you will have:

- two raving paranoiacs;

- at least one injured in a fight;

- one curled up in a foetal position, rocking and mumbling;

- two virulently opposed cliques;

- somebody who thinks all the rest adore them;

- somebody who thinks all the rest are plotting against them.

etc etc

(I’m leaving aside that if they are young and of both genders, you’ll also have several pregnancies)

At least no-one mentions the F*ll any more......

oops I just did!

23 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Coronvirus kills people. 

There is loads of misinformation about. Misinformation can kill.

People who dismiss such reputable websites with glib claims should justify those claims, and say why they think they are wrong.

Nothing wrong with that.

What I take issue with is your apparent desire to "correct" others posts, denigrate them and/or ignore them as you feel like it. Whether or not they have backed up their post with links, references etc.

As pointed out above, you are becoming irritating. Please note: I am not a moderator or anything, just a regular member, just like you. And I can make my own mind up whether or not someone is BS'ing.

Happy to keep the member from Birlstone entertained, glad you're having a good laugh mate!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

But did you get his name or business card?

How do you know that he was telling the truth?

And, as you say yourself, you are just "guessing" about what he was talking about.

FFS, give it a rest. I relayed a conversation I had with someone in a blood clinic last Friday, I didn't mention it before but when I saw the news this morning it resonated with the discussion I had.  He was very knowledgeable about the subject and about the research facilities in Cambridge, He said C19 wasn't his subject matter but HIV was.

I might have been 'guessing' about what he was talking about, but he knew a lot of the information in the story I linked to which I left out of my post.  

2 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

If they're people , then I'm quite happy to get up their noses.

Don't we know it.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Day Ten in The Big Brother House .......

Im having just the same at home, where my children have decided that the best way to pass the time is by needling one another.

We’ll all be truly bonkers by the end of three months.

Biggest problem if it gets any worse and the thread gets locked they will just go into another and spoil all the fun there as well :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Confirmed in the last hour or so on the BBC website, named "Samba 2" the test takes 90 minutes to yield its results (compared to 24 hours for whatever is used now) and is going into use at Addenbrookes. ....

This is potentially very good news. Obviously it will depend on how quickly the test can be made available across the NHS and wider society. I note that all the print media (of every political persuasion) are critical of the low rates of testing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Lantavian

You work for the BBC don’t you?

Find on the BBC website the video from a nuclear submarine captain.

Actually, here it is for you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-52104076/coronavirus-submarine-captain-s-advice-on-social-isolation

Watch it.

Come back later and tell us you now understand why people are getting fed-up with you.

Please.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Can you give us some examples of where their fact-checking is wrong?

Or where their particular point of view renders their fact-checking invalid?

Fact checking and true yes, but let me give some examples of where your organisation has been economical with the truth.

A while back I heard a report on the car radio of an earthquake off the coast in the Philippines.  Once I got home, I looked for information on the BBC news site.  There was nothing there.  Other news outlets had reports.  

I think it was around this time last year that an atrocity took place in Christchurch, New Zealand.  Quite rightly it was extensively reported by the BBC in news bulletins and also on the website.  What started as cautious and speculative reporting (one gunman or two) was refined as more information came to light.  Analysis and comment followed for several days afterward.  All good and proper and appropriate to the severity.

At the same time, there were a similar number of fatalities from religious violence in Bornu state, Nigeria.  I looked on the BBC site for accurate reporting of figures.  There was no mention.  Perhaps it is deemed less newsworthy, as it was part of a regular pattern of violence (over 1400 killed, hundreds of thousands displaced across the wider region in 2019).  There has been a small amount of reporting since, but in terms of its significance the BBC has been strangely quiet.  (I could cite similar instances from elsewhere).

These are examples where the news has come through other well recognised outlets but were largely ignored by the BBC.  I have connections who were able to verify as to at least the general accuracy of those reports.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Coronvirus kills people. 

There is loads of misinformation about. Misinformation can kill.

People who dismiss such reputable websites with glib claims should justify those claims, and say why they think they are wrong.

That does imply that 'the authorities' are infallible. 

History tends to show that their information no more certain than anyone else's. A quick perusal of all the models proposed for the outcome of this virus should tell you that. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone who doesn't know, Lantavian is a journo.

I quote from Early Risers Page 8437, last Friday. "Good morning from Hong Kong

I'm working at home today. This is me reading the business news on Radio 4's News Briefing at about 5:35am UK time (lunchtime in HK)"

It is accompanied by a photo of a man, presumably him, sitting cross-legged on a sofa, wearing a check shirt and shorts, facing a laptop, with a large microphone close by. 

We are not worthy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• AY Mod locked this topic