The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Similar here, can't get a food delivery slot for 3 weeks but ordered some car mats off eBay yesterday and they arrived an hour ago. Not sure whether to laugh or cry <sigh> 

I managed to get food yesterday, and it came in just two days.........Peanuts in shells for our squirrels, bloody rodents are going to be eating more than us soon.

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Garages are still open.

Not all and the definition of garages probably covers those selling petrol, but main dealers and the workshops are still in limbo. This arrived last night.....

1218880929_Screenshot2020-03-24at15_54_05.png.dcc7dc30f0719036e0f33d0d3f76e233.png

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

And to add to that, as soon as I got the email from Hattons saying they ares topping dispatch, I ordered a Ratio Station Building, a couple of platform kits and a signal box and internal details......all from Gaugemaster, sorry Hattons......but they will be here tomorrow.......something to do while we starve.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Not all and the definition of garages probably covers those selling petrol, but main dealers and the workshops are still in limbo. This arrived last night.....

The official list (it was posted on the previous page) garages and petrol stations were listed separately as staying open. Car showrooms specifically on the to be closed list.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email from Hattons confirming their despatch close down, but it also mentioned a collaboration between tradition competitors to do the same, apparently more news after a meeting tomorrow.

Get your orders in fast!

Edited by boxbrownie

1 hour ago, midlands said:

I don't see why we(as a nation) arent following in other countries footsteps and allowing other distributers(eg:Amazons) to help with food distribution..It works in other countrys. How many distribution companies are now finding themselves short of work now the retail side of UK business has more or less closed up?

Morrisons stated last week that they were increasing home deliveries using Amazon. I don't know if has actually happenned though.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Just had an email from Hattons confirming their despatch close down, but it also mentioned a collaboration between tradition competitors to do the same, apparently more news after a meeting tomorrow.

Get your orders in fast!

This was the announcement:

FB_IMG_1585065143173.jpg.c9f795eea4b538c41453d1f66d11777c.jpg

Questionable legality....

2 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Morrisons stated last week that they were increasing home deliveries using Amazon. I don't know if has actually happened though.

Stewart

hmm, well, I havent been able to book a delivery with Morisson's for two weeks. The chart does not show any available dates. I've had a 80£ order sitting in the basket for that long.

Edited by midlands

32 minutes ago, Reorte said:

The official list (it was posted on the previous page) garages and petrol stations were listed separately as staying open. Car showrooms specifically on the to be closed list.

....but the main dealer workshop is part of the main dealer and reading their mail, the workshop will be shut as well. You have to book your car in via the showroom.

Of course, they may revise that in a few days. Thankfully mine was serviced a short while ago.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

This was the announcement:

FB_IMG_1585065143173.jpg.c9f795eea4b538c41453d1f66d11777c.jpg

Questionable legality....

Well the government have waived the competitions legislation (anti competitive) between supermarkets for the foreseeable future soooo

My next door naybour works for the NHS . Sunday she went to Tesco at 9 o'clock came back with 5 bags of food. Today Tesco came with deliveries 5 crates of food .  Now this is taken the P;;s out of the system. She only works in a office part time. The past week she has been at home most of the time her partner is not working . Rant over

• Like 2

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I predict lockdown begins Thursday when the current laws passing through parliament get enacted into law.

For the shops, I went to Asda this afternoon - lots of fruit and veg, didn't look at meat as that wasn't on our list - it was veg for the mother in law who is now confined to her home and some dairy free stuff for the wife.  Hot chickens available though and whilst the pasta aisle was empty as was the rice the rest of the store looked relatively healthy except perhaps for ladies goods (as delicately as I can put it) - some lines were missing.

I went to several local supermarkets last night on the lookout for 'ladies products' - seems it not only food and toilet rolls that has gone the way of the dodo under this panic.

Managed to source some of the goods but there is still a gap, but I did note that those nice disposable toilet wipes are now back on the shelves - sometimes you just need a little luxury.

32 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

This link is from the HMG's own website and is yet current from the 19th of March just five days ago:

Isn't that just a very bureaucratic thing marking the point at which at which attempts to "contain", which is what one would do with an HCID, were abandoned in favour of "delay"? 

If the law requires an HCID to be "contained", it would be daft to persist in calling it an HCID, and being obliged to attempt to "contain", if that was impossible in practice ...... it would divert effort into the wrong actions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just back from Morrison's in Hereford. Never an enjoyable experience but very depressing right now.

Many shelves bare and restrictions (no more than 3) on many goods. On the one hand the PM is asking us to go out as infrequently as possible but then you can't get what you need to last a week. I have additional problem in that my fridge is very small with an equally small cold box. So I have just had to resort to turning on the fridge and the freezer in the commercial kitchen - rather uneconomic for a small quantity of food.

I dead-heated with a delivery of Andrex loo roll, but only in packs of 9. I'm not privy to the details of loo roll manufacture and packing but surely it would make more sense in the current situation to make packs of 4?

Social-distancing respected around the tills but not elsewhere in the shop. It needs each aisle to have a one-way system for that. One rather ill looking individual kept invading my two-metre exclusion zone. Nearly decked him!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Well, I'm just considering the possibility, if the restrictions have to be tightened much further.

It's not being pessimistic or doom mongering to consider that anything can happen in the coming weeks and months.

We just have to be open and pragmatic about it and not get into a tizz when the government announce their next course of action.

Despite prior national emergency planning, the government and their advisors are going to have to make do and mend and make some decisions off the cuff.

They won't be able to cover all the angles at once, the circumstances may change rapidly, or not work out as they expected and omissions and mistakes will be made.

They haven't had the luxury of a couple of years to work this out, with endless working groups and committee meetings.

My bold. This is only half true; last night on Newsnight former MP and minister Alan Johnson reminded us that we have experienced a pandemic in recent times with the swine flu outbreak in 2009. Now he was very careful not to criticise the current government but it's fairly obvious that the present lot have been consistently behind the curve; sport, business and community groups have all led in taking action before government edicts. It's also becoming apparent that the easy stuff to get right, that which isn't politically controversial, like sufficient PPE for front line staff has been fluffed. Given that the last pandemic was only a decade ago you would have hoped that some lessons had been learned and some state of preparedness, perhaps at a low level, would have happened.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A very bizarre day at work, we’ve been asked what ‘we’ want to do. I didn’t like being put in that position because it’s your employer that should make that decision

I don’t consider my work as essential so I’m doing what Boris has recommended and staying at home to keep people safe

unfortunately Sarah has managed to buy some emulsion so I suppose that’s me being kept busy then :(

• Friendly/supportive 4

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

My bold. This is only half true

Indeed, and there are (or b*****y well ought to be) rolling contingency plans in place for a variety of foreseeable emergencies, of which "pandemic flu" has long been one. I know this isn't flu, but a lot of the planning ought to be transferable, even if the reaction times are dreadfully telescoped.

I've participated in contingency planning work in my previous employ, and pandemic flu was definitely one of the scenarios that was gone through., so I'd be utterly staggered if central government contingency planners have neglected it ......... in fact, I think we might have included at their request.

My gut feel is that it is the speed of this beast that has caught people out, its very high multiplication factor ......... somehow the speed message didn't make it from China to Europe, and Europe, us included, are learning from Italy, rather than China.

Something went badly wrong in the messaging from China, or in the "falling on deaf ears" elsewhere, otherwise international air travel would have been locked-down at a very early stage to slow it right down and allow more time to prepare (unless taking the hit in spring/summer in the Northern Hemisphere is deliberate; it may be, but I don't think so).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Sorry, I am really struggling to see what is self serving about that?

Saying "It's OK if you want to find another job, we will welcome you back" seems to be a positive message to the currently underemployed staff.

You could argue that he's rich enough to be able to keep paying his staff for a while even with no work coming in. But conversely if they can be of use elsewhere then it all adds up to well and good.

Edited by Reorte